Why become a member? ×

Council Flat Friendly Bass Combos

mark76

Get an Ampeg 8x10, urinate in it copiously, and leave it at the bottom of the stairs - everyone will just think it's another non-working lift!

On a more sensible note (and I hope your council estate is nothing like the ones where I grew up), a combo with headphone socket, so that you can use it for small rehearsals/jams, and use headphones at home, as, like others have said, even quiet bass travels and annoys.

I'd say headphones too. I have the PJB Bighead and PJB headphones and it's a great setup. Aux in from phone or tablet for learning songs or lessons from Scott's Bass Academy. Works as USB interface too. It is clean though. Crystal clear. If you want more of an amp sound you could add a Zoom multi effect. I have B3 myself which is also excellent and will work for what you want on its own if you don't need an Aux in. The B1 series have Aux in so would cover your needs, with the same sounds as the B3.

If you're set on an amp I was always a big fan of the (now discontinued) Line6 Studio 110. It's a 12" cube with 75 watts into a 10" speaker. Also has Aux in and a headphone out which gives you options. You don't see them for sale very often. People seem to hold onto them!

The Roland Bass cube 30 also seems to get a lot of love and having briefly tried it I can see why.

I don't think either of these options would keep your neighbours happy though. Bass travels pretty well...

I'd always heard the complete opposite about bass frequencies. That they didn't tend to travel very far unless you put a lot of watts into them. Say, 500 or so.

So I kind of assumed a sub 50 watt bass amp would be nigh on silent beyond, say, 20 feet.

[quote name='mark76' timestamp='1453736887' post='2962282']
I'd always heard the complete opposite about bass frequencies. That they didn't tend to travel very far unless you put a lot of watts into them. Say, 500 or so.

So I kind of assumed a sub 50 watt bass amp would be nigh on silent beyond, say, 20 feet.
[/quote]

Try it out yourself. Put on any modern music disk, moderate volume, then leave your flat and listen to what you hear as you get farther and farther away. I'll be bold and guess that the highs will disappear almost immediately out of the room, but the lows you'll be able to hear down the corridor; maybe even in the lift. Bass frequencies are used by oceanic mammals such as whales and the like to send signals over thousands of miles of sea. Bass travels very easily, very far, and is very difficult to totally absorb in a domestic setting. Use a headset or move, as have suggested others, would be the best solution.
Hope this helps.

Bass travels for much longer. I did a gig in a marque and couple of years ago near a residential area. The next Monday one of my wife's work colleague's, who lived in the area, was whinging at work that all he could hear at his house was the 'bloody bass from some do up the road' :unsure:

I once couldn't a bass part I was trying to figure out. I put the song on my car stereo, got out of the car, closed the door and walked about 30ft away...the bass part stood out a mile. Wicked! B)

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1453736682' post='2962279']
I got my B1.on (brand new) for £41 inc p&p from a seller on Amazon. It's perfect for home practice. Headphones in, iPod or other music source and bass...sorted :)
[/quote]

+1
And not to mention the hours of fun with the looper and drum machine

I'd always heard the complete opposite about bass frequencies. That they didn't tend to travel very far unless you put a lot of watts into them. Say, 500 or so.[/quote]

No, other way round. That is one of the ways you can tell the difference between a Whale a Sparrow.

[quote name='mark76' timestamp='1453745081' post='2962389']
Where does the idea that bass amplification has to be 4x more powerful than the sum total of the rest of the backline come from then?
[/quote]

Manufacturers of (some...) bass amps, and gullible bass amp-buying consumers. :mellow:

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1453736682' post='2962279']
I got my B1.on (brand new) for £41 inc p&p from a seller on Amazon. It's perfect for home practice. Headphones in, iPod or other music source and bass...sorted :)
[/quote]

Got to agree with this. A great bit of kit for home practice.

[quote name='mark76' timestamp='1453745081' post='2962389']
Where does the idea that bass amplification has to be 4x more powerful than the sum total of the rest of the backline come from then?
[/quote]

If you are referring to watts then that has little to do with the volume. The way I understand it , and I may be corrected is, bass amps need more power IE watts to drive the low frequency. A guitar with higher frequency needs less power to achieve similar volume levels.

Guest bassman7755

I'd always heard the complete opposite about bass frequencies. That they didn't tend to travel very far unless you put a lot of watts into them.
[/quote]

They are less directional than highs but travel through various materials (such as wall and floors) more easily.

i'm using one of these with a decent set of over ear cans' and no speaker connected , It works a treat .... its a tiny 5 watt amp but sounds excellent , based on an SVT amp model.

http://www.hotoneaudio.com/products/nanolegacy/74.html

When i can plug it into my Cab ( 8 ohms) its capable of getting very loud indeed far too loud to use with somone else in the house .

i've even got one on my pedal board for rehearsal, which means all i have to do is connect it to the cab in the studio :-)