Why become a member? ×

How much swapping of basses goes on here?

Annoying Twit

Just curious here, but I've noted that there seems to be a fair amount of selling basses to each other going on here. I note this post in the basses for sale forum.

[quote name='Josh' post='278726' date='Sep 6 2008, 05:33 PM']I was one of the previous owners of this bass, and it really is a good example of how a Fender should sound and play.[/quote]

Just out of curiosity, does this happen a lot. While I'm not planning on buying anything soon, I'm interested in how basschat works as an equipment source. As looking at the "for sale" sections, it looks like any future bass needs I will have can be satisfied here. And if you can track the instrument through several owners, well, that's something you can't usually do!

While I'm not in a purchasing mood now (sorry), I look at instruments such as a six-string Peavey grind bass for £200, and realise that beautiful looking through neck six strings are not just something that I can salivate about online, but something that I can quite easily purchase without impinging on other things (and family members).

Edited by Annoying Twit

I just bought Platypus's MIM P-bass, another of Homer's old ones. It's great to know that it's been seen, played by and spoken well of by several forum members prior to my getting it. It's particularly gratifying in my case as MIM Fenders are prone to be a bit hit and miss, so it's nice to know one is not buying a lemon. It's a great system, unless you're after something especially esoteric, but what you're after will probably show up sooner or later. I've been fortunate in that all my basschat purchases to date have been pleasurable, civilised and easy transactions. I know this isn't always the case, but I think the ones which go awry are fairly few and far between.

Five of mine came off the basschat for sale forum...

My Yamaha TRB-6 II was from Beneath_it_all, the Cocobolo/Cherry Status SII was from TerryK (who had it from new since 1990), my new 2008 Status S2-Classic 5-er was from GreyParrot, the pristine 2006 MIM Precision was from FoxTheBiker & my recently refinished in diamond black Status Shark was from Stan_da_man.

Yes, you really can trrace where the instrument has come from and it's a lot better than buying something used from a dealer/shop.

Rich.

The last 5 basses I've owned or sold have been either bought, sold, or swapped on this forum...and I've only been on here since March! 2 of those basses have an RRP of over £1k, and 2 of the other 3 have an RRP of over £1.5k, so they weren't exactly cheap basses but I never needed to worry about anything as everyone who I've dealt with on here (in regards to basses specifically) have been absolute diamonds :)

I’ve also bought and sold over £2k worth of other gear on here in that time and almost every time I’ve dealt with someone on here the transaction has been absolutely seamless. I wonder if you’d get that with ebay…

I'm sure it's actually in the T&C of joining Basschat that you will at some point purchase or sell a minimum of 2 items to another Chatter :)

Don't even get me started on what I've owned on here (unlikely to ever rival one or two individuals :huh: ) or what was mine and now owned by others but I'd sooner strike up a deal with someone on here than a faceless entity on eBay. I'm not saying that it is risk free but those that drop in to try a quick scam can very quickly be 'outed' so long as you keep your wits about you.

One thing ive noticed (at least i think i have) is that stuff that gets sold on a few times doesn't seem to go down in price (in fact i can name at lest one thing that was advertised again for more that it was brought for).

Am i missing something? Does gear only loose its value from new once? i'm talking everyday stuff, not vintage.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='285232' date='Sep 16 2008, 05:12 PM']One thing ive noticed (at least i think i have) is that stuff that gets sold on a few times doesn't seem to go down in price (in fact i can name at lest one thing that was advertised again for more that it was brought for).

Am i missing something? Does gear only loose its value from new once? i'm talking everyday stuff, not vintage.[/quote]

Possibly, but once something is “used” it’s “used”…if you get me. If Mr.A sell a used MIM Fender to Mr.B for £200 and then 3 weeks later Mr.B wants to sell it on, why should he sell it for less than £200? Chances are that it would have been sold for a very fair price in the first place and eventually a Mr.C will appear who is more than happy to buy it at the fair price of £200, and then possibly Mr.C will eventually sell it on for the same price of £200 to Mr.D if the bass has remained in literally the same condition (I think my point has been completely lost in an awful use of metaphors).

There’s generally a forum etequit that goes along the lines of – if you pick up a bargain on here but end up wanting to sell it on after a while then offer it up on here for a similar price that you bought it for before shifting it elsewhere. Each to their own though, no one really owes anything to anyone else on this forum but it’s nice to try and keep it feeling like a community with a certain amount of mutual respect…that’s the way I see it anyway.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='285247' date='Sep 16 2008, 05:23 PM']Possibly, but once something is “used” it’s “used”…if you get me. If Mr.A sell a used MIM Fender to Mr.B for £200 and then 3 weeks later Mr.B wants to sell it on, why should he sell it for less than £200? Chances are that it would have been sold for a very fair price in the first place and eventually a Mr.C will appear who is more than happy to buy it at the fair price of £200, and then possibly Mr.C will eventually sell it on for the same price of £200 to Mr.D if the bass has remained in literally the same condition (I think my point has been completely lost in an awful use of metaphors).

There’s generally a forum etequit that goes along the lines of – if you pick up a bargain on here but end up wanting to sell it on after a while then offer it up on here for a similar price that you bought it for before shifting it elsewhere. Each to their own though, no one really owes anything to anyone else on this forum but it’s nice to try and keep it feeling like a community with a certain amount of mutual respect…that’s the way I see it anyway.[/quote]

yeah, that all makes sense.

I've swapped two basses in my short time here, both times with absolute gents. I believe both of the basses I've received have been owned by other basschat users prior to the folks I swapped with too. It's been handy, on some of the forums in Ireland you'd sometimes get offered several cheap instruments for one good instrument, whereas here everybody seems to play ball and offer like for like or near enough, which is a very refreshing change. Long may it continue.

From my experiences here, people are much better informed/realistic about value - yes, there are some "traders", but most are real enthusiasts looking to change stuff they don't use for stuff (they think) they will. Far less hassle then certain popular auction sites...but use the feedback. It is our only defense against scammers/idiots.

For the record, I've sold a JD, Manson, bitser J, traded a Streamer SI, fretless Fender, and bought an Alembic, and a few more I can't remember now with no regrets. If I'd could have found those deals in shops (no chance here) it would have cost me a fortune.

All the positive benefits mentioned so far ring true for me too, but I'd like to add one further advantage to trading within our community. This is that one may be able to buy things back! I have sold a couple of instruments lately that. if I was richer, I would have kept. But I like to feel that I might get the chance to be reacquanted with some of my gear at some point in the future! Bassschat allows that to be a real possibility.

I've sold a bass to "Pedro1020".

I've bought basses from "yesikris" and "yorks5stringer".

The one I bought from "yesikris" has now been passed on to "Rasta" as part of a three way bass swap between him, myself and "Machines".

I've bought/sold/swapped pedals, amps and cabs.

And I've had no problems with anyone whatsoever.

Great place this :)

Edited by Thunderthumbs