Why become a member? ×

The worst vintage bass guitar in the world

Hobbayne

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1452204799' post='2947699']
To have nothing and make this from nothing shows a high degree of skill and determination. I think pieces like this need to be applauded rather than derided. There is no comparison between this and people who take manufactured gear and butcher it.
[/quote]

I agree. This was probably put together by someone working from photographs from magazines. We take it for granted that we can walk into a music shop and come out with a half decent instrument. Some people aren't so lucky.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1452218367' post='2947815']
I would have been more impressed if the clip had shown it making some sound. It has what appears to be at least three E strings on it and no nut to speak of. There also doesn't appear to be any tension in the strings and the whole thing reeks of a piss take. Fair play if it does what it was made for, but I'm not convinced.
[/quote]

If it is a piss-take then they've done their homework, because with the tuners, output jack and hardware are typical of Sov-Bloc 'boutique' builds.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1452204799' post='2947699']
To have nothing and make this from nothing shows a high degree of skill and determination. I think pieces like this need to be applauded rather than derided. There is no comparison between this and people who take manufactured gear and butcher it.
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more! I enjoyed watching that and even found myself being hypnotised by his soft voice and description of this bass. Three cheers to the maker I say. The neck looks lovely!

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1452243776' post='2947892']
I do hear what you're saying Billy, but we get to comments like "the pickguard screws have been replaced". Really? Like they were a matching set to begin with? I don't think so. As I said, fair play if someone has built it from scratch AND it is at least playable, but I remain unconvinced.
[/quote]

I think it's genuine never said nowt about it being playable ;) :)

Self indulgent moment but this thread has jogged my memory about that guitar and never really thought about it.There is one on YouTube which fits perfectly with this thread.

This is what the guys says "You know how some things are so bad they’re good? This is one of those.

It’s an early 60s Vox Stroller I got on eBay a few years ago. I had to put a new nut on and new tuners as they were very rusty.

It’s not very good, ......."

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w50R35sZpoM[/media]

Listen, folks, when he says things like "it's got a switch - who knows what it's for" and "hand carved in the countryside probably in a small shed" I'm guessing that some kind of yellowish liquid is being extracted. I actually didn't think I heard him correctly the first time, and laughed out loud when I rewound and listened again. That and the three E strings, as Hiram pointed out.

Just got to the part where he says "the tuning pegs are copper, so if you're broke you can sell them and get twice the price of the guitar". Now I'm crying,really, actually crying with laughter. Come on Billy, it's not serious.
If I'm wrong, I'll be really humble, but I really think it's a spoof.

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1452344695' post='2949065']
Just got to the part where he says "the tuning pegs are copper, so if you're broke you can sell them and get twice the price of the guitar". Now I'm crying,really, actually crying with laughter. Come on Billy, it's not serious.
If I'm wrong, I'll be really humble, but I really think it's a spoof.
[/quote]

There did seem to be a humour bypass in some responses.