Why become a member? ×

Old Front Door and a Shelf....

Jabba_the_gut

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1459356101' post='3015769'] The suspense is killing me! [/quote]

Not managed to get on with this as much as I wanted recently. But I have got a few things done. I'm currently lacquering one of the bodies by brushing rather than spraying. These needs a fair bit of paint it on, sand it off but I think it will give a nice finish.

I've finished both piezo bridges and have a couple of elements to try

The other body still needs sanding. I have put the veneer in the slots on the fretboard and I think it is looking quite nice.

One thing I haven't managed to do yet is find someone cheap to chrome the control plates - had a few quotes but I'm looking for something very cheap!!

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1459465297' post='3016956']
Aluminium tape? Rattle can chrome? DIY acid bath?

Looking good so far anyhoo
[/quote]

It looks amazing.

I tried rattle-can chrome on a pickguard. The result was diabolical after ages of drying the surface turned grey if you rubbed it. What did I do wrong? Anyone know?

Firstly, I love this build, right up my street :)

Secondly, does the control plate have to be chromed/silver?
I can quite see it painted a gloss aged cream sort of colour, with the warm tones being ever so slightly brown rather than yellow to complement the natural wood.
If something else was picked out in the same colour I think it could look ace, much better than a second rate chrome effect.
Make a feature of it rather than not being happy with a make do solution.

Whatever you decide I still love the build :)

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1459567420' post='3017741']
Hey Jabber, I'll try to remember to call a guy I know on Monday. He does plating of metals. I'll let you know what he would charge.
[/quote]

Thanks - much appreciated. I've found one firm that is much more reasonable but still about £20 per plate. That probably isn't unreasonable, I'm just trying to get it done really cheap!!

A few updates...

Got a quote for the chroming so control plate will be sent off this week. I've finished applying the lacquer by brush and am now in the process of sanding and polishing. Have to say so far, the finish is coming up really nicely.

I've also fitted a piezo bridge to my fretless bass and really pleased how it looks. I need to sort the wiring out and some sort of buffer circuit.

[quote name='Jabba_the_gut' timestamp='1455483484' post='2979544']
I made the second bridge with the idea of fitting this to the first bass I ever made which currently has a Schaller 2000 bridge on it. I reshaped the wooden bridge a little to match the body shape - I think this would look quite nice. No quite sure how to amend the electronics for this but that's for another time!!

Still got a little work to do on both piezo bridges but really pleased with how they turned out especially after the first attempt!! Ultimately it just came down to holding the work piece more securely and not trying to take too much off in one go.
[/quote]Does that count as a low mass bridge?

• 2 weeks later...

Body now complete and loaded. Been making a neck for this from left overs, so not strictly recycled but that is coming on - just needs fretting and lacquering.

Still hoping to get this done for the Midlands Bass Bash next weekend.....

Edited by Jabba_the_gut