Why become a member? ×

Old Front Door and a Shelf....

Jabba_the_gut

Jabba, this is truly stunning. I'm sorely tempted to try to get the the Midds Bass Bash, JUST to hear this bass!

I'm sure many folk here would love to hear a recording and/or a vid of it being played.

Congrats on an amazing result. Well, I'm amazed. You probably aren't cos you always knew your talent before you started I guess.

Nice one.

Had a mad rush to get this done for the Midlands bass bash and just managed to get it done! Really pleased how it turned out and really impressed how it sounded.

Still got the fretless bass to do but that might have to wait for some house DIY to get done first.

• 4 weeks later...

I had the privilege to try some of Jez' basses on Sunday. They are truly remarkable. Jez is a modest gent with a great talent. I really enjoyed his 5-stringer. It hangs well, the reach to the 1st fret isn't too much of a stretch and the sound is great.

Many thanks Jez. It was a real pleasure to meet you. Thank you.

Just managed to catch up with this build and what an incredible result. Must be a great feeling playing this knowing it's made from an old door, a shelf and an A4 notebook; it looks like a professionally made instrument. You have a great talent for this and one hell of an imagination, well done indeed.

With builds like this it makes you wonder why you'd go into a shop and buy something that's mass produced. Having met Jez I got the feeling that if there were any issues with one of his creations he'd be more than happy to put them right...

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1465832291' post='3071388']
With builds like this it makes you wonder why you'd go into a shop and buy something that's mass produced. Having met Jez I got the feeling that if there were any issues with one of his creations he'd be more than happy to put them right...
[/quote]

I'm sure Jez would. He's a true gent. But I understand that he's never yet thought about selling his basses. I'd buy one though. Mind you, he's got me thinking about taking on build from scratch. Don't know if it would come to his high standards though.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1465240156' post='3066450']
I had the privilege to try some of Jez' basses on Sunday. They are truly remarkable. Jez is a modest gent with a great talent. I really enjoyed his 5-stringer. It hangs well, the reach to the 1st fret isn't too much of a stretch and the sound is great.

Many thanks Jez. It was a real pleasure to meet you. Thank you.
[/quote]

Yes I also had a go on these basses at the Hertz bash and agree with Rich, it was a real pleasure to try them out.

If you were handed one of these and not told what it was, you'd have no idea it wasn't an instrument from a known bass maker. It's astonishing really... The basses I tried not only looked great but they sounded great too.

The sheer perfection of the build and finish on Jez's basses is what strikes you first when you see them in the flesh. Remarkable on all levels when you are talking hand built.

But there are also some really well thought out design features. For example, a number of us put multiple strap buttons on the tail to offer a player different 'sits' of the bass on the strap. Jez's is the only bass I've ever seen where these allow the base to sit safely upright without a stand. It might seem a small detail, but how many of us struggle with this in venues where space is tight? While the rest of us are looking for a room corner or a radiator to jam the thing against, Jez's will stand up anywhere. Even against the cab.

Respect

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1465890245' post='3071787']
The sheer perfection of the build and finish on Jez's basses is what strikes you first when you see them in the flesh. Remarkable on all levels when you are talking hand built.

But there are also some really well thought out design features. For example, a number of us put multiple strap buttons on the tail to offer a player different 'sits' of the bass on the strap. Jez's is the only bass I've ever seen where these allow the base to sit safely upright without a stand. It might seem a small detail, but how many of us struggle with this in venues where space is tight? While the rest of us are looking for a room corner or a radiator to jam the thing against, Jez's will stand up anywhere. Even against the cab.

Respect
[/quote]

After reading this, take another look at the pic of the bass leaning against the door. Notice how the bass is standing on the 2 strap buttons, so the wood is not actually on the floor. That way it's safe from damage. I love it!

The two buttons are a nice touch and are brilliant when you dont have a stand.
Here's Betsy my beloved Pangborn (early eighties) it had the same thing :)

Im off to sob...this is the bass i should NEVER have parted with (20 years....man and boy !) WWaaaaaaaaaahhhh.....

Edited by scojack

[quote name='scojack' timestamp='1465897249' post='3071878']
The two buttons are a nice touch and are brilliant when you dont have a stand.
Here's Betsy my beloved Pangborn (early eighties) it had the same thing :)

Im off to sob...this is the bass i should NEVER have parted with (20 years....man and boy !) WWaaaaaaaaaahhhh.....
[/quote]
Slight thread derail, but that's LOVELY, Ian :)

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1465900996' post='3071925']
Slight thread derail, but that's LOVELY, Ian :)
[/quote]
[quote name='scojack' timestamp='1465901112' post='3071926']
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh :(
[/quote]

Andy, now look what you've done!! :o
I'm sure Jez wouldn't mind. There's always space for great looking basses and ideas for getting a design right.

Cheers for all the positive comments - they really are appreciated.

To date, I haven't ever made a bass for anyone else nor have I ever tried to sell any of my own basses but from the comments from recent bass bashes and from here I think this is something I should maybe try at some point, so thank you for the encouragement!

Ian, waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh - that Pangborn is lovely........

Cheers

Jez

• 2 weeks later...

Followed this thread in awe.

One word.

Gumph.

Alright maybe more than one - utterly incredible what a skilled man can do with whatever is lying around, and it surely makes you think about the price some folks charge for a lump of wood with four strings hanging off it........ :ph34r:

Jez you are one talented gadgy B)

Cheers for the comments. I'm continuing on with the other half of this build - had a go at a scarf joint for the first time. Not too bad, not perfectly square but will be fine for what I want. Truss rod arrived for this today so this neck will progress a bit over the next week or so (I hope...!)

[quote name='Jabba_the_gut' timestamp='1467055423' post='3080882']
Cheers for the comments. I'm continuing on with the other half of this build - had a go at a scarf joint for the first time. Not too bad, not perfectly square but will be fine for what I want. Truss rod arrived for this today so this neck will progress a bit over the next week or so (I hope...!)

[/quote]
One of the things on my 'must get round to doing it' list is building a scarf routing jig. My attempts at scarf joints are a little bit different to "not perfectly square"...and not in a good way ;)

This looks pretty fine to me, Jez, dammit!

• 4 weeks later...