Why become a member? ×

Old Front Door and a Shelf....

Jabba_the_gut

This is something I have been messing with over the past month – still very much work in progress but just a bit of fun whilst I sort out what I am doing with another bass build that has been ongoing for far too long!

I picked up an old hardwood front door off Freecycle that I was looking to see if I could repair and replace my current front door. Once it had thoroughly dried out over summer I could see it was going to be scrap.

Rather than take it to the tip, I broke it down to see if there would be enough wood to make a bass! There aren’t any pieces long enough to avoid dowels etc used in the door construction to make a neck but there was enough wood to make a couple of simple bodies.

The main frame sections of the door were cut up then planed to shape in order to make two four piece bodies. I’m not sure what the wood is – it’s not the best in the world but should be adequate for a couple of simple bodies that can use some of the bits of old hardware I have acquired over the past few years.

I also acquired another piece of hardwood from my dad which I think was a bit of an old shelf or desk – might be Sapele but not sure. It’s a pretty hard piece of wood and straight grained so should be good for a neck. There’s a few holes from screw and nails in it but I should be able to work around these.

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

There was enough wood for two bodies so I’m thinking a passive PJ bass for one of them to use some Fender MIM pickups I have in my ‘bit’ box.

With the second body, I was hoping to make an electro acoustic (think recycled version of a Rob Allen bass...) using the two larger panels from the door as the top of the bass but one of the two panels was such a poor piece of wood that idea has been abandoned for the moment.

I had a strip of wenge from an old floorboard I was given and a scrap strip of some other hardwood which contrasted nicely with the bit of neck wood.

The neck was cut down the centre line and the three strips added. The whole lot was then glued and clamped.

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

Once dried this was then planed to make it nice and level – turned quite nicely I think. I have an old ebony fret board blank I’m thinking of using with this but I’m waiting to see if I can get hold of some recycled wood first just so I can say the whole bass I made from recycled wood. It does look nice on the neck.

I’m probably going to have a go at a scarf joint on this neck as that is something that I haven’t tried before and would be going to try on something that doesn’t matter too much. I’m also thinking of making this 32” scale just to see how I like that.

No ideas as yet as to what finish I’ll use on the body. I might use oil if it looks okay once sanded or I might try a solid colour – a little way off from that at the moment.

Brilliant!

I'm following this with interest and hoping for more builds like it. I'm convinced people regularly throw away wood that's more than good enough to make a good solid-body guitar. I'd love to do this but I'm renting a tiny house so I can't just keep all the nice stuff I see in skips and at the dump :D

Edited by alittlebitrobot

The top I'm using for build #4 on here was from another wenge floor board that I was given. Cut it down and got it planed to the right thickness. The grain on that board is lovely.

I'm sure there is more wood like it out there that would otherwise go to waste.

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

I've now glued and trimmed one of the bodies - the other has been glued and is currently clamped.

As to be expected with using recycled wood, there are areas of the wood where the previous use can be identified. On this body I tried to work around the original doweled joints of the door but was about 5mm out on one of them. I've had to create my own dowel from scrap to plug the hole thie left. Would have preferred it not to be there but I'm not overly bothered. I will either finish it in a solid colour or just leave it - the idea is for this be to a useable, practical bass rather than a show bass.

I'm also thinking of making a scratchplate for this bass something like the shap below. I've only modified plates before so would be good to try making one from a blank sheet.

Thanks for that - another option! I'll have a look at a natural scratchplate as that is something I can make from recycled wood though I might buy some plastic sheet just based on colour.

I've rough cut the second body and trimmed the dowel on the first one - looks quite acceptable

I've weighed the bodies - both come in at 1.95kg so are reasonably light by my reckoning.

Just a shame that it's back to work tomorrow to slow this down a bit!!

• 2 weeks later...