Why become a member? ×

Seems nearly impossible to come up with an original song name

Behlmene

Water for Dogs have some interesting song titles... it helps that being instrumental we dont feel the need to tie in to the lyrics or feel of the vocal so we just make up something daft on each occassion. Some prime examples:[list]
[*]Disco Ninja
[*]Crazy Space Breakfast
[*]Chill the Dog
[*]Not Bod (because bits of it sound like the theme tune to the old kids TV show Bod. But it's not!)
[*]Computer Room
[*]Business as Usual (named after the beer we were drinking when we created it. See Derby brewing company for further details. Other beers are available)
[/list]
...and these are only the ones I let them get away with. You know things are a bit wierd when[b] I[/b] am the voice of reason in the band...

Edited by Chris Sharman

[quote name='Chris Sharman' timestamp='1450782749' post='2935776']
Water for Dogs have some interesting song titles... it helps that being instrumental we dont feel the need to tie in to the lyrics or feel of the vocal so we just make up something daft on each occassion. Some prime examples:[list]
[*]Disco Ninja
[*]Crazy Space Breakfast
[*]Chill the Dog
[*]Not Bod (because bits of it sound like the theme tune to the old kids TV show Bod. But it's not!)
[*]Computer Room
[*]Business as Usual (named after the beer we were drinking when we created it. See Derby brewing company for further details. Other beers are available)
[/list]
...and these are only the ones I let them get away with. You know things are a bit wierd when[b] I[/b] am the voice of reason in the band...
[/quote]

I am pleasantly reminded of Gong :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1450786096' post='2935821']
Yeah, but they said 'Bohemian Rhapsody' was too long to be a single. :mellow:
[/quote]

...even though it's shorter than Hey Jude!

Albums titles have different rules, e.g.
[b] [i]My People Were Fair and Had Sky in Their Hair... But Now They're Content to Wear Stars on Their Brows[/i][/b]

Some of my favourites come from Yorkshire's finest 90s symphonic black metal band Bal-Sagoth's seminal album "[i]Starfire Burning Upon the Ice-Veiled Throne of Ultima Thule[/i]" featuring such snappy song titles as "[i]And Lo, When the Imperium Marches Against Gul-Kothoth, Then Dark Sorceries Shall Enshroud the Citadel of the Obsidian Crown (Episode: VIII[/i])" and "[i]The Splendour of a Thousand Swords Gleaming Beneath the Blazon of the Hyperborean Empire[/i]"... catchy stuff. :mellow:

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1450788259' post='2935857']
...even though it's shorter than Hey Jude! Albums titles have different rules, e.g.
[b] [i]My People Were Fair and Had Sky in Their Hair... But Now They're Content to Wear Stars on Their Brows[/i][/b]
[/quote]

Back in the day I was in a techno/ambient outfit and we released a track called [i]Self Realisation in the Art of Sensual Love[/i] which in hindsight was a bit ambitious really. On all sorts of levels. :D

[quote name='Behlmene' timestamp='1450726674' post='2935310']
I should have been more clear...it's nearly impossible to come up with an original song name that doesn't suck! Apologies to anyone I offended :P
[/quote]

Just use the first line of the chorus.

Of the last line of the chorus.

Or the first line of the first verse.

Or the last line of the last verse.

Edited by TimR

The lyrics tend to suggest the title in my experience, but then I have no problem with titles sounding unoriginal.
Obviously if you're trying to come across as deliberately whacky or eccentric, or your material has no lyrics, then finding a title becomes more difficult.

[quote name='Behlmene' timestamp='1450726674' post='2935310']
I should have been more clear...it's nearly impossible to come up with an original song name that doesn't suck! Apologies to anyone I offended :P
[/quote]

I think about three of my titles are usable. "One more train to ride" is IMHO not bad. For a whole stream of song titles, getting a few usable ones isn't a bad hit rate, IMHO.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1450804282' post='2936057']
I think about three of my titles are usable. "One more train to ride" is IMHO not bad. For a whole stream of song titles, getting a few usable ones isn't a bad hit rate, IMHO.
[/quote]

Yeah, I like that one. Congrats on conjuring a decent title that hasn't been taken. As for myself one of the few I've penned and haven't seen online is "Cigarette Vodka". Surprised it's not been claimed. Everyone, I suspect, knows what that is - the morning after the party drink on the coffee table you wish you'd passed on :D.