Why become a member? ×

Paul McCartney bass playing

The-Ox

Seriously though, I heard that Macca would record the bass part [i]after[/i] all of the vocals had been done, so he knew exactly what the song needed, and more importantly, what it didn't.

Not to take anything away from him though - they are still great, great lines.

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1449317077' post='2922505']
With respect, that's absolute rubbish. Nobody does everything well. If that's what you're saying, I think the possibility of seeing him try to solo like Stu Hamm or play in a progressive band like Tool, or slap like Mark King would be enough to dispel the thought that he can do everything well as I'd imagine it'd be a bit car crash.

He does several things in the terms of playing well like most of us. But nobody, does everything "well." Not McCartney, Pastorious, Clarke, Jamerson, Entwistle, King or any other iconic bass player you can name can do everything well. They have their niche areas in which they excel (or not dependent on whether you like their style or even their music), but nobody is all things. McCartney isn't any different in that respect.

I happen to like his playing, before anyone asks.
[/quote]Who the f%&k is Stu Hamm? McCartney never needed to play like him, he was busy writing and performing some of the most iconic music of all time. In the records of a hundred years hence I doubt Stu Hamm will feature. Get a grip!

Edited by spectoremg

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1449430086' post='2923480']
Who the f%&k is Stu Hamm? McCartney never needed to play like him, he was busy writing and performing some the most iconic music of all time. In the records of a hundred years hence I doubt Stu Hamm will feature. Get a grip!
[/quote]

Clearly you missed the point I was trying to make. The OP asked "what is McCartney good at?" Blue said "everything" hence the suggestion that he can play in any style well. So I listed a few styles that he would probably struggle with to illustrate the point that absolutely nobody can do that. I can do 2 styles really well, but as for the rest..... maybe less so. As it happens, I find Stu Hamm somewhat self indulgent at times but you can't fault his technical skills. It's not about being remembered, to which your post is completely correct as his songs have stood the test of time.

I took what Blue said literally as opposed to what he meant which was "what he does, he does well." Simple isn't it? Blue is a fan, as am I.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1449350928' post='2922895']

I just wish Jamerson had a small fraction of the career Macca has had. Even then I guess you had to have few more offerings other than playing bass a lone.

It's a fair comparison, however I not sure session guys set out to rule the world.

Blue
[/quote]
I can barely contemplate what sort of a career he'd have had! They certainly don't set out to, few manage it. He was truly one of a kind, Macca was even influenced by him!

Edited by JamesBass

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1449436466' post='2923562']
This is fun... I thought the Beatles wote some great songs but this is 2015...

His bass never did anything for me.
[/quote]
This is 2015. What's your point? Does good music have a sell-by date? Kanye West makes music in 2015. Is his music necessarily better because it's newer?

Edited by upside downer

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1449430086' post='2923480']
Who the f%&k is Stu Hamm? McCartney never needed to play like him, he was busy writing and performing some the most iconic music of all time. In the records of a hundred years hence I doubt Stu Hamm will feature. Get a grip!
[/quote]

I have to agree with this.

Blue

Some interesting comments on here! After studying his bass lines and technique a lot more these past few days i tend to agree with what people say on here, especially choice of notes and knowing when to reign it in etc. Very melodic, i can now say that confidently without just chucking in that buzzword thats often associated with his bass playing

As a die hard Entwistle fan (hence the name) i must say Pauls playing has taught me a great deal of stuff, in fact I've made one of my best basslines so far from studying him (i am no serial player by any means)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1449445857' post='2923669']

+1 Clearly it does not, judging by the amount of orchestras still covering Mozart tunes. ;)
[/quote]

lol - I hadn't thought of the LSO as being a covers band before. Going to use this whenever anyone that plays originals gets aloof.

Re McCartney, the basslines in Something and And your bird can sing are pure genius.

[quote name='upside downer' timestamp='1449440916' post='2923630']
This is 2015. What's your point? Does good music have a sell-by date? Kanye West makes music in 2015. Is his music necessarily better because it's newer?
[/quote]

My point is that his bass work isn't current now and neither are his songs.
Some people would say he never did anything after the Beatles..
I'd agree.

Respect him for his valid output..but I reckon that stopped in 1969..
Nothing wrong with that and he has a body of work that will last for many many more years
but things move on.

Would you go and see him now..? or put on his Beatles records.. or neither?

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1449448721' post='2923680']
Some interesting comments on here! After studying his bass lines and technique a lot more these past few days i tend to agree with what people say on here, especially choice of notes and knowing when to reign it in etc. Very melodic, i can now say that confidently without just chucking in that buzzword thats often associated with his bass playing

As a die hard Entwistle fan (hence the name) i must say Pauls playing has taught me a great deal of stuff, in fact I've made one of my best basslines so far from studying him (i am no serial player by any means)
[/quote]

See, now, these are two of the most over-hyped guys around.. but hey, just my opinion.

I would say, ...I can't stand either, but that is over stressing the fact that I don't care that much.

Same as Geddy Lee, ..if people like them they like them, but it is not a crime to say you don't.
Like many many bass players, you might give them a nod but none of them really touched me
at all, tbh.

Yep, who cares..!!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1449480327' post='2923762']
My point is that his bass work isn't current now and neither are his songs.
Some people would say he never did anything after the Beatles..
I'd agree.

Respect him for his valid output..but I reckon that stopped in 1969..
Nothing wrong with that and he has a body of work that will last for many many more years
but things move on.

[/quote]

So who are the current folks putting out 'valid output', then..? Let's see if we'd prefer going to see/putting on [i]their [/i]records in preference..? If there's not enough space on one page, please use another, blank, sheet. You have two hours; you time starts...
Now..!

Some people would say he never did anything after the Beatles.
[/quote]

You're right there - Wings didn't do very well, really. And his solo career flopped quite badly, didn't it?

[/quote]

Or both... I (and I'm sure millions of people worldwide) still listen to Beatles records extensively. Even if you don't like what they did you can't ignore the massive influence they had and still have on subsequent musicians and writers to this day and that continues.

[quote name='mr zed' timestamp='1449479040' post='2923747']
I hadn't thought of the LSO as being a covers band before.
[/quote]

Yeah, orchestras are posh covers bands!! Get over it!! :D

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1449481317' post='2923788']
But never 'on' enough to quite get over The Beatles.. which IMO speaks volumes.
[/quote]

To be fair that is a pretty hard act to follow to say the least. They were the biggest band in the history of music and some would argue that they always will be. That alignment of circumstances that led to their massive exposure and that particular talent and cultural situation won't be repeating itself anytime soon.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1449480575' post='2923765']
See, now, these are two of the most over-hyped guys around.. but hey, just my opinion.

I would say, ...I can't stand either, but that is over stressing the fact that I don't care that much.

Same as Geddy Lee, ..if people like them they like them, but it is not a crime to say you don't.
Like many many bass players, you might give them a nod but none of them really touched me
at all, tbh.

Yep, who cares..!!
[/quote]

fair enough, all opinions at the end of the day :)

My 0.2$
There are some musicians that have "it". Macca is one of them...so is Bach, Mozart, and of course Jamerson and dare I even say and to a much lesser degree, Adam Clayton ...
It's all about putting the right note in the right place at the right time. And if done with a flourish then so much the better.
I don't really think bass is there for our undulgence to show how flash we are, its there to support the tune and those who do it best are worthy imo of high praise.
Tin hat now firmly attached!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1449481545' post='2923792']
To be fair that is a pretty hard act to follow to say the least. They were the biggest band in the history of music and some would argue that they always will be. That alignment of circumstances that led to their massive exposure and that particular talent and cultural situation won't be repeating itself anytime soon.
[/quote]

Yep, so anything after is going to pale big time, which it did.
Entirely understandable and they'd never have to work again.

I think Lennon and McC were very very lucky to find each other and we are
left with a huge legacy but it is not like they could re-invent themselves to
anywhere near the same degree.

They are a rich back catologue just like Motown and the like are...
the only difference that it took more songwriting teams to be as prolific.

It is unreasonabl;e to think they'd follow it on..and IMO, they didn't.

Both Lennon and PM were lost without their writing partner.

But hey, be happy we had what they did put out, but other than
that, I'm not all bent out of shape about it.

I'd say Jamerson was a bigger bass playing 'influence' on bass in general
and the Beatles songs were a snapshot in time.
Of course, people remember them, but unless you are Oasis, there are other musical
references, IMO.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1449481317' post='2923788']
But never 'on' enough to quite get over The Beatles.. which IMO speaks volumes.
[/quote]

I don't take a band that was finished 45 yrs plus as a reference, tbh...
just like I wouldn't dream of playing 'Come together' the same way.

So, yes, I got over them eons ago.. whether that is sacriledge to some,..??
oh well...!!