Why become a member? ×

Why should I buy an ACG?

The-Ox

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1448910623' post='2919133']
I'd love to hear some decent demos of these beautiful basses.
[/quote]

I've uploaded a few sound samples on my Soundcloud account.
Not sure if you could call them "decent", but they hopefully can give you an idea of the tones available...

https://soundcloud.com/eudeboy/sets/acg-krell-sc-e-type-sample-sounds

https://soundcloud.com/eudeboy/sets/acg-salace-sc-e-type-samples

https://soundcloud.com/eudeboy/sets/acg-finn-sc-classic-fretless-samples

If you're looking for something a bit more specific, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1449130817' post='2920918']
Thanks for the kind offer Merton but I'm not going to be able to get to the London show this year.
[/quote]

Bugger. We will find a way! (Alternatively just commission one to add to your tiny collection ;) )

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1448956787' post='2919469']
Hey!

So basically I wanted a P bass but with a shorter scale, not a Fender body shape and with Alan's craftsmanship. So given how awesome my Finn 5 is I spoke to Alan about this and he made it come out 10x better than I could have hoped :) The spec is:

Finn DC
Swamp Ash body (2 piece)
Maple neck with acrylic impregnated maple fingerboard
Overwound PB pickup
Volume and passive tone only
32" scale

It's ace, plug in and play and off you go with a superb tone and very easy playing neck. Love it :)
[/quote] that looks lovely - I'ld love an ACG - but I like one-wood bodies and simple looking fretboards.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1449317413' post='2922510']
that looks lovely - I'ld love an ACG - but I like one-wood bodies and simple looking fretboards.
[/quote]

Cheers - I'm very very happy with it. Both my ACGs turned out so far above expectation it's silly, he's a genius :)

• 4 years later...

Tried to buy this beauty today... Beaten to it.

T1.jpg

Bit of research shows Alan was selling it a couple of years back, then it was £2600 on reverb ( with a dfm pre amp) then bass direct sold it this week ( with a u retro pre amp, by the look). for a mere £1300.

How can that workmanship come at that price and then halve in value over two years???

Anyway, unless I'm missing something, seems a very good deal for the lucky buyer!

I shall have an ACG one day.

Custom basses/guitars do seem to plummet in price on the 2nd hand market.

I bought one of Alan's Reiver Guitars for £1300 a few weeks back, would of been closer to £3000 when built and it was only made in 2019.

Their loss, my gain! 

I have had a custom bass made for me by Alan too, personally I'd never sell it. I do find it strange when people have custom instruments made then sell them on, I guess they didn't manage to convey to the luthier what they really wanted! 

I had an ACG, it went for not much less than I bough it for, so it doesn't always have to be like that.

10 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

I have had a custom bass made for me by Alan too, personally I'd never sell it. I do find it strange when people have custom instruments made then sell them on, I guess they didn't manage to convey to the luthier what they really wanted! 

That involves knowing what you want doesn't it? Sometimes you don't know what you want until you get something that isn't it. 

See I got my new shuker the other day and its string spacing at the neck is much wider than I am used to but it turns out that I like it. Had I been asked for my custom requirements, I wouldn't have said that. I only know what string spacing I liked at the bridge (ie, like the ibanez), and then made the assumption that if I liked that I must like the other end too.

But you know if you are buying custom you will take a massive hit if you sell it, so if you think you would ever sell it, get something else*

Whilst being aware that sometimes life gets in the way of what you need to do

Edited by Woodinblack

• 1 year later...