Why become a member? ×

Horrendous timing by BGM this month.

Grassie

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1447669190' post='2909308']
Magazines always get flack for this sort of thing - but the final copy was probably signed off 2 months ago.

I remember when Guitarist Magazine was vilified for not mentioning Gary Moore's death - the mag was on the newstands 1 day after the death was announced. There was a huge amount of people who clearly thought the mag hadn't been printed 1 day before arrival in the shops. Tossers.
[/quote]
I wasn't giving anyone flack for the photo, I merely stated in the thread title that it was bad timing. No-one's fault. Although taste is always subjective. 😊

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1447693137' post='2909560']
Seems to me that it is just people getting offended by nothing. I have no idea what timing has got to do with anything. Would people still get offended if the magazine was released ln September when 145 people died and hundreds injured in Nigeria?
[/quote]
Who's offended? Not me particularly. Again, it was an observation.

The curse of bad timing is perennial. Punch had an unfortunate cover picture that coincided with Robert Maxwell's death/suicide and Scott Adams was flamed to a crisp for this cartoon that was printed on the day that Mother Theresa died: http://dilbert.com/strip/1997-09-13
despite his pointing out that he drew the cartoons months in advance.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1447746553' post='2909877']
The cover of a music magazine - or any magazine - featuring a weapon unless strictly in context is horrendous timing at any time. My opinion of any individual who thinks it's cool to pose with a weapon is also not that high.
[/quote]

Totally agree.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1447746553' post='2909877']
The cover of a music magazine - or any magazine - featuring a weapon unless strictly in context is horrendous timing at any time. My opinion of any individual who thinks it's cool to pose with a weapon is also not that high.
[/quote]

On a point of order, Chris, the cover does NOT feature that photo.

Apart from that, I entirely agree.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1447748684' post='2909900']
On a point of order, Chris, the cover does NOT feature that photo.

Apart from that, I entirely agree.
[/quote]

....though p 22 shows the [s]retard [/s]said Bassist with a black mask over his head, headphones on his..head, a Steinberger in one hand and a sub machine gun in the other, both pointing at the camera.... Still, there's no such thing as bad publicity?

Guest bassman7755

I'm of the view that all this "sensitivity" about specific things after a particular event is all nonsense and annoyingly it seems to be a growing trend in recent years. Something is either in acceptable taste or its not (and I don't have a strong view one was or the other over the mag cover). If someone was directly affected by the events in paris I doubt very much that the cover of a bass magazine, or what songs are being played on ex-factor is (who apparently dropped some songs) of much concern to them.

Edited by bassman7755