Why become a member? ×

Buying New or Used?

BASainty

Im in a bit of a pickle. My Eden Nemesis head which I bought used has given up the ghost after only a few months. I'm in the market for a new head but do I try buying used again or go brand new?

The advantages of buying used it you get more for your money but with the risk of not knowing how well the item has been treated and if any potentially big repair bills are just around the corner.

Buying new means you wont get quite as much for your money but your covered with good warrantees and guarantees and the knowledge that you're the first person to use it.

What do you guys suggest?

[quote name='4StringFortress' timestamp='1446557120' post='2900255']...
[/quote]

I'd suggest that it's dictated greatly by, in order, ...[list=1]
[*]Your needs (Is reliability an imperative..?)
[*]Your budget (Can you afford, new, the stuff you need..?)
[*]Your competence in choosing s/h gear (Can it be inspected..? Can you recognise the signs of wear..?)
[*]How lucky you're feeling (Some folks just seem to do OK, others not...)
[/list]
List non-exhaustive.

Edited by Dad3353

I assume you've taken it to an amp tech? If not, it could just be a small gripe so worth getting it fixed.

But back to your question; personally I prefer to buy new heads but am happy to buy used cabs mostly for the same reasons you have listed but it is worth checking out people's feedback threads - I would consider buying a used head from a reputable person on here, not so much from some random with hardly any posts though.

Yes went to Nobels in Cardiff and he's said its not worth repairing. My budget is around £250 and reliability is a big one for me. Need something that will be used in playing all sizes of gigs so something plenty of guts. Been looking at a new LH500 for around £225. Any other suggestions?

I think after this experience I'm a bit more competent in what to look for in used heads. But I'm of similar opinion to Lw. Cabs I'm happy buying used but heads are a little more technical if they go wrong.

I didn't buy the Eden from here it was from Gumtree but I did test it out and seemed ok to me. Maybe worth looking at what's on around here. As you said look at items sold by people with plenty of positive feedback.

I don't know much about the shop that you took it to but I'd be tempted to try and get another quote to fix it, there are a few good repair places around, this thread should help [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/198-recommended-amp-techs/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/198-recommended-amp-techs/[/url]. some places just don't want to bother and would rather sell you a new amp than fix the old one

I'm assuming that it's the Eden Nemesis in your sig, these seem to be solid old-school type amps so it should be repairable at a sensible price.

Matt

Nobel's is highly regarded as being a very reliable place for repairs and without getting any form of hard sell if he deems it not worth repairing in this area. He said he will run through exactly what needs doing to it tomorrow when I go to collect it. I could get another opinion but if I'm honest Clive is normally pretty spot on with stuff like this.

[quote name='4StringFortress' timestamp='1446559629' post='2900287']
Yes went to Nobels in Cardiff and he's said its not worth repairing......
[/quote]

Did he say what the problem was? I'm not trying to question the abilities or honesty of the guy in Nobles
But I had a small "issue" shall we say, when I took an amp there....
Have you tried John Turner, who works with Dave Dearnaley in their workshop in Splott?

Sometimes John will take the whole thing apart, rather than throw a whole board away. He does have a lot of spares,
from "dead" amps and cabs, and there might be something he can use / adapt...
Worth a try. I'd rather trust someone who just fixes amps, and doesn't have a shop and therefore an interest in selling you a new amp...

EDIT: Yes, I'd say Clive seems honest, and isn't a pushy salesman-type
But I got the feeling he really didn't want to fix an old amp I had
he said he just grounded it properly, so it was safe (I hadn't asked him to do that) and then didn't fix the actual problem....

Edited by Marc S

I generally buy used and accept that if something goes wrong it's going to cost me. My feeling is that if a piece of used equipment is working, then it's likely to continue to do so. Of course all electrical items have a finite operating period, but it's very difficult to estimate what this might be. I've had a modern, Class-D amp go tits-up on me, and also a 40-year-old hand-wired valve amp (with the original Mullards in it!) which is still going strong today.

So it's a lottery. New gear has the warranty and the guarantee, but of course this is no insurance against tits-uppery, a word I have just invented to describe the process of something failing. So whether new or used, you can still find yourself in the middle of a gig with no amp.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1446566000' post='2900359']
Did he say what the problem was? I'm not trying to question the abilities or honesty of the guy in Nobles
But I had a small "issue" shall we say, when I took an amp there....
Have you tried John Turner, who works with Dave Dearnaley in their workshop in Splott?

Sometimes John will take the whole thing apart, rather than throw a whole board away. He does have a lot of spares,
from "dead" amps and cabs, and there might be something he can use / adapt...
Worth a try. I'd rather trust someone who just fixes amps, and doesn't have a shop and therefore an interest in selling you a new amp...

EDIT: Yes, I'd say Clive seems honest, and isn't a pushy salesman-type
But I got the feeling he really didn't want to fix an old amp I had
he said he just grounded it properly, so it was safe (I hadn't asked him to do that) and then didn't fix the actual problem....
[/quote]

Does John have a website or facebook or something? I'll contact him see what he says.

EDIT: Just spoke to Dave. He said it would be worth repairing and to take it in tomorrow for John to have a look at it.

Edited by 4StringFortress

I bought new the first time I bought a 'gig-able' amp and then the first class D I bought. All the rest - and there have been a lot - have been second hand. On the theory that you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find your prince, my 'journey' through class D land would have been an expensive one had I bought new each time.

Just at the moment I have fallen back in love with my recently acquired old Trace Elliot AH-300 12 SMX so, were I looking for twin back-up, second hand is the only way.

New for me. Had a few bad experiences with used amps.
I have the LH500 bought from new 2 years ago and is used every weekend. I love this amp and its pretty bulletproof.
I also have a new Behringer BVT as my back up but never needed it yet. £80 with a 3 year warranty cant be bad

[quote name='4StringFortress' timestamp='1446569246' post='2900407']
Does John have a website or facebook or something? I'll contact him see what he says.

EDIT: Just spoke to Dave. He said it would be worth repairing and to take it in tomorrow for John to have a look at it.
[/quote]

Hi there. John and Dave don't have a website, or at least not that I'm aware
Dave is one of the very best luthiers anywhere. I know, I've used him a few times
He's also a top bloke, an honest as the day is long (whatever that means in the winter lol)
and his custom builds are simply stunning. But I suppose some would call their workshop "old fashioned" - hence no website

John repaired a mates guitar amp recently, and it was a very reasonable cost. This was after a high street shop had told him it would take weeks, and be an expensive job! Not used John myself, but I've taken an amp head to John myself, just the other day. I know him personally, and I think I'd trust him before some of the major high street shops - as I say, he has no interest in flogging me a new amp

Good luck with it anyway :)

Edited by Marc S

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='4StringFortress' timestamp='1446557120' post='2900255']
Im in a bit of a pickle. My Eden Nemesis head which I bought used has given up the ghost after only a few months. I'm in the market for a new head but do I try buying used again or go brand new?

The advantages of buying used it you get more for your money but with the risk of not knowing how well the item has been treated and if any potentially big repair bills are just around the corner.

Buying new means you wont get quite as much for your money but your covered with good warrantees and guarantees and the knowledge that you're the first person to use it.

[/quote]

I guess you've heard of the "bath tub curve" - it essentially means that a product is most likely to go wrong either moreorless straight away or near the end of its expected lifespan.

So while your taking a risk that a product has been abused this is somewhat offset by the fact that what you are buying has survived the near end risk period of its life. Also most bass gear is designed to withstand being used fairly hard so as long as you can verify something is OK at the point of purchase its very likely it will remain trouble free upto its normal life span. With anything solid state like amps the most likely things to go wrong are the simple mechanical things like knobs switches lights and sockets, all of which are generally fairly cheap and easy to replace.

Edited by bassman7755