Why become a member? ×

Being the "house" band at a jam night. What does it involve ?

Les

I once played with the house band for a blues jam night at a rock'n'blues fest...
Foks would come up and say do you know "$$$£" by ***&^ and the guitar player would say "yup".
As I don't know any well-known (or other!) songs I'd tap Jerry on the shoulder and say how's it go?"; he'd say "12 bar in B, 1,2,3,4" and we'd be off!
So I'd advise knowing the sort of songs you're likely to be asked to play, or be able to busk it...

I would certainly imagine you'd be providing your rig for other bass players to use.

Generally, the form is you play a couple of numbers with your band and then they start rotating the other players who have come along. You may do the last couple of numbers too. I have done it in the past and enjoyed the experience. I haven't ever had my gear thrashed (but then it's capable of being far louder than it's ever used) and it's actually quite good to hear your rig being used by other players.

I used to do this quite regularly. As already said it's a case of providing bass amp, cab, cables and perhaps a tuner. The norm around here is for everyone to bring their instruments but there have been occasions when someone has asked if they can use my bass. Well I'm a bit particular about who uses my basses so I used to take along my pink Jazz just in case.

House band opens proceedings with two or three numbers and then everyone changes. At one local Jam there is an MC who hkeeps details of who's there, he puts together bands and generally keeps things moving along. This stops anyone hogging the limelight.

There have been occassions when I've been the only bass player so I got to play all evening but usually there are at least a couple of others. It's good training as you have to listen and think on your feet.

I've been in a jam night house band for the last 12 years. It's a gig on a week night so all is good.

You meet all sorts. Some jammers are clueless, some are careless, some are stupid, and many are way too loud, but most are fine. Just keep an eye on them and don't let things get out of hand. It's your gear so always be in control.

We are a loud band and the jammers tend to try and match our volume, so I bring lots of speakers so they can't damage my gear. I still keep an eye on what they do and have turned them down mid song if they are being silly. I never lend my bass, ever. If they haven't bought a bass they either borrow one off another jammer or they don't play.

Most jams I've seen start with a couple of numbers from the house band and from then on you're playing all night and only get a rest if another bass player turns up. We usually get one or two. You'd be surprised what players expect you to busk/know. Some numbers are a train wreck.

Many jammers are out of their comfort zone and under a degree of stress so I just smile and look after them as well as I can and be as positive as I can.

I've been house bassist a few times in different jams, all of which had the same etiquette - bring your own instrument and don't touch the settings. If they really don't work for you, ask.

Apart from that, as the others have said, couple of numbers in, couple of numbers out and support any others who need you.

Done it a couple of times, as above really, got lucky as most other guys were either solo flyers or complete bands, did step up with one guy who wanted to do an Eagles song solo, me and our singist dived in with harmonies as he was really struggling......still not sure if we helped or hindered :)

Generally that's right. I haven't ever yet had to lend my bass and I would be suspicious of anyone who turned up at a jam without one. If anyone does then it's your call but I wouldn't expect to be lending my bass to anyone.

You do get the fret widdlers and I also used to encounter a guy who would get rather 'confused' and get up and do his version of King Of The Road but it's usually good fun.

Edited by Bassman Steve

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1446461021' post='2899446']
So am I right in thinking I don't need to supply a bass (other than for my own use) ?
[/quote]

Ask the guy running the jam.

If he insists that the jammers play your bass then I'd pass on the whole thing.

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1446460641' post='2899444']
Beware that you could end up backing countless fret widdlers soloing endlessly over exactly the same 12 bar format (occasionally in a different key from the previous one). Other bass players tend to disappear when this phenomenon occurs.
[/quote]

Very much this! Your unenviable task is to try to make these people sound good...

For when I've had to do it, my number one piece of go to kit is my iPad and music stand for quick reference to charts (mainly for jazz but also other styles). The nights can vary considerably, but quite possibly (in my case) you might find more singers, and also some regular vocalists, so hopefully its possible to find out what they might want to sing a few days before the gig and come prepared.

Good luck, it can be a lot of fun and a great opportunity to meet local musicians you might not know. You might even just play the first couple of numbers and enjoy free booze for the rest of the evening whilst getting paid. Easy work :)

Edited by dustandbarley

Been running a blues jam for around 5 years now (as well as housing at other jams).

Basically You provide the backline and depending on the etiquette of the jam a cheap, cheap bass for anyone who turns up to use (I take a £100 special with me, no one touches the others).

The house band start the night with a few numbers to warm the room up, and then I put 'bands' together from whoever has put their name down on the list. Some nights can be manic and some very quiet. The drummer and I have been known to play three hours without a break on some nights.

If a punter starts getting over loud...turn them down...if they complain turf them off.

Keep good eye contact with the drummer, there is no one better to shorten a 15 minute slow blues.

3 questions you really need for anyone getting up:

Straight 12
Slow 12
shuffle

then go 1, 4, 5.....if it's anything different the leader of the 'band' should tell you (although I've played with some leaders who think I'm psychic), or just ask for the basic changes.

It can be great fun, and a# good way to learn and build your repertoire, and don't worry if it all goes to sh*t...it's a jam.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1446450431' post='2899370']
Supply all the gear for everyone else to thrash?
[/quote]

Sounds about right - when I did this I provided an LM3 with 2x10 HF cabinet, and a slightly careworn Musicman Stingray - beware the nights no bass players turn up because you will end up playing all night. Several used to turn up to the one I did and they all played my bass. I used to try and get the amp set and the bass set to provide a decent generic sound - rarely did any bass player have a clue how to set an EQ on bass or amp (something I've also found when I've visited other jam sessions - underpowered bass amps with the bass on full on the EQ for example).

Dependent on what sort of jam it is, it's always useful to be able to play a few guitar hero songs - eg thin lizzy ones like whole lot of Rosie, boys are back in town etc; sweet child of mine; famous AC/DC stuff if people can sing it, All Right Now; Cream; maybe a little Zeppelin, Quo etc. It really depends on who turns up; 12 bars are always popular, and maybe Beatles songs (Come Together springs to mind, often in very strange keys!)

It can be great fun and you may well meet people who you end up in bands or musical projects with.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1446461021' post='2899446']
All good stuff, thank you all.

So am I right in thinking I don't need to supply a bass (other than for my own use) ?

Les
[/quote]
I always take mine, and since I'm the only bass player it's not been an issue. Usually back line is just a zoom pedal into a PA so damage not a problem

I'd be rich if I had a £ for every time I had to play Red House!

Bloody thing. I don't even like the Hendrix version.

We even had to play it twice one night!

We've had guys set up and just start playing. They don't tell you the song or the key. If they do that I just stand there and look at them until they stop and tell me what we are playing!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1446469982' post='2899528']

We've had guys set up and just start playing. They don't tell you the song or the key. If they do that I just stand there and look at them until they stop and tell me what we are playing!
[/quote]

Wish I had a £ for every time I've done that

I've long felt my Blues Allergy* would prevent me from doing this sort of thing, and this thread's just reinforced that belief... :( :lol:

* It's a medical condition...me neck swells up and I get nauseous by the end of the first chorus... :)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1446469982' post='2899528']
[/quote]

+1