Why become a member? ×

Wal - Honestly, What's The Fuss?!?!?!

DavidMcKay

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1444818540' post='2886288']

My only experience of a Wal was about 15 years ago, watching someone else play one over the course of a few months. That distinctive and and rich growl is something I can mentally recall to this day. It was thoroughly inappropriate for 90% of the material he was playing, but it was one hell of a tone. Aesthetically it was just the headstock for me- a bit like Plug from the Bash Street Kids!

That 'All Growl' tone would be very useful as part of a toolbox of basses but, even as a player by trade, the cost would outweigh the benefits for me. If they were cheaper or I had the dosh I'd certainly give one a fair shot though, much as with a Rick 4003.
[/quote].

But you'd have thought that in this day and age it would be easy peasy to recreate the Wal tone via software - say using a Line 6 gadget.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1444769576' post='2885930']
Never owned one, but I've played a couple. In my opinion they really *do* live up to the hype. Just wish I could afford to buy one.

Realistically if I had £3k spare I'd get a new car - unless I had a massive tax bill and needed to make some of it disappear…. :ph34r:
[/quote]

Make a pension contribution - I could bore you with all the numbers, but it's a good way of mitigating a tax liability!

So in summary...

Some people like Wal's, some people don't, some dislike them with such vengence that one wonders if they are a closet Wal fan over compensating... or trying to troll their way into being invited to try one before they cast such opinionated twaddle..? who knows. I've only played two, one was badly set up, the other was lovely (and all black).

All i have learned from these 5 pages is this:
They are not quite as good as a pension for mitigating tax liability, probably a slightly better financial investment though, and despit the efforts of Monsanto, there are quite a large number of bees.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1444838265' post='2886569']
So in summary...

Some people like Wal's, some people don't, some dislike them with such vengence that one wonders if they are a closet Wal fan over compensating... or trying to troll their way into being invited to try one before they cast such opinionated twaddle..? who knows. I've only played two, one was badly set up, the other was lovely (and all black).

All i have learned from these 5 pages is this:
They are not quite as good as a pension for mitigating tax liability, probably a slightly better financial investment though, and despit the efforts of Monsanto, there are quite a large number of bees.
[/quote]

They do say that every day is a schoolday!

[quote name='lowhand_mike' timestamp='1444840331' post='2886596']
well thats half an hour i'll never get back :lol:
[/quote]

Absolutely - Lowhand Mike. I've missed 2 of my kid's birthdays since starting this thread!

I did try to end the thread but all my efforts seem to hit a brick Wal (groan.....).

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1444807141' post='2886116']
No, instead please tell us what will replace the ACG.
[/quote]

Why - another ACG! Just agreed to buy this:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/267190-acg-gallus-5-string-bass-price-drop/page__p__2886411#entry2886411"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/267190-acg-gallus-5-string-bass-price-drop/page__p__2886411#entry2886411[/url]

How chuffed am I! Granted - it may look like a small side table but it sure ain't no sideboard!