Why become a member? ×

Wal - Honestly, What's The Fuss?!?!?!

DavidMcKay

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1444804007' post='2886085']
This must be the most extreme case ever of a disguised advert.

Do you think Davey-Schmavey has managed to sell his Wal yet?
[/quote]

Jacky Wacky

Sold my ACG last week actually. Buyer is away for the October break and will conclude on his return.

I am most certainly not selling a Wal. Couldn't afford one. Would only buy as an investment anyway as I simply don't care for them as an instrument.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1444807302' post='2886117']
Now I have sideboard GAS!
[/quote]

I have a table and chairs as a give-away if it helps. Could be a really solid investment opportunity - it's definitely a solid table :blink: . Great condition for it's age (mid '90s); tone to die for...

Eh? Eh?

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1444807751' post='2886126']

I have a table and chairs as a give-away if it helps. Could be a really solid investment opportunity. Great condition for it's age (mid '90s); tone to die for...

Eh? Eh?
[/quote]

What's the action like on the chairs? I don't want it set too low or it is difficult to reach my cutlery.

Not that it needs justification, but I'll have a go at explaining why I play a Wal. This is a bass forum afterall and disscussing these things is the main reason we're here... well that and the fact that if I wasn't here I'd actually have to be doing something productive at work.

I first heard a Wal when I was 17 in the hands of a much better player than me, I remember the unmistakable growl. I wasn't really interested at the time as I was playing in metal bands and I was all about slapping the s**t out of a status. When I came back to playing a couple of years back the one bass tone I could remember was that of the Wal...

I've tried just about everything since I started playing again until a chance encounter with another Wal at the bass gallery, after that I knew I had to have one. I play six string most of the time and they never seem to come up used so I ordered a new one, on an 18 month build time. About a week after ordering it one came up here in the BC classifieds! So I bought it with the intention of moving it on when the new build arrived. When the new build did eventually arrive I contacted the buyer (arranged from about a week after I bought it) and he mentioned he was selling a 2014 fretless mk1 to fund the exchange... as i needed a fretless we ended up doing a trade instead and I couldn't be happier with the pair of basses I've ended up with.

Wals are not for everyone... They are not perfect. Aesthetic issues are always a matter of taste and you can never convince someone who doesn't like the look of a Wal that it's a beautiful instrument. The major objective issue is weight obviously - my MK3 sixer is 10.4lb and my MK1 is about the same (haven't actually weighed it yet). Schaller have recently brought out a lightweight set of the MK1 tuners that would shave half a pound off the weight and if I could find a single set in stock anywhere I'd be putting them on my MK1. I am also not going to wax lyrical about the filter preamp. I like it, i've got used to it and I'm happy I can dial in the tones I want, but I wouldn't say it's a vast improvement over a BMT set up. I also like the DI out, but again carrying a sansamp et al. is not really a huge issue if I didn't have the DI built in.

So... with these niggles why would I be happy to pay twice as much as an equivilent quality bass from another builder? The answer is that other builders do not use Wal pickups. Wal basses have a unique sound that I have not managed to find in any other bass. Whether that is to your taste is obviously subjective but those pickups give a jazz bass on steriods tone... growly and punchy but without any loss of bottom end. Other basses also have a unique tone obviously, the P bass, the ray, warwick basses etc. but they do not have the Wal bark and if that is what you want you must buy a Wal.

As for the price, yes they are expensive there is no escaping that, but as has been said, Wals hold their value so if you were to decide its not for you you can just move it on easily. The Wal tone has become the major component of my sound. I no longer use any pedals and run my amp flat. I also generally leave both filters wide open letting everything through. Wals will not work for everyone and I'd never try to convince anyone otherwise, but it works for me :)

Edited by CamdenRob

I've never owned one. I tried one in a bass shop once but found the weight to be prohibitive. I suspect that many of the other criticisms of Wal could be aimed at my Dingwall: very shiny and very expensive. But then I love Marmite!

This, of course, is the heaviest Wal of all:

[quote name='DavidMcKay' timestamp='1444809375' post='2886148']
Now - could someone tell me why they would buy a Fodera at the price they go for? When I think of them I see sheiks buying gold plated Range Rovers. I just think "Really?!?!?!".....
[/quote]

I'm not with you on Wals, but I have to agree with this. Never understood Fodera basses, but then again I've never played or even seen one in person.

[quote name='tanuki' timestamp='1444810607' post='2886171']
Perhaps a new hobby would soak up some of the vitriol?

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wHIGeP17Eo"]https://www.youtube....h?v=4wHIGeP17Eo[/url]
[/quote]

Tried it once but the buggers just kept droning on and on and on.

Then they started a union and demanded more honey and shorter working flowers.

I jacked it in after that.

Boring! I love my Wal, love the way it looks, love the way it sounds, love the way it plays. I really don't care what anyone else thinks. If you don't like them, don't buy them. I don't care what they cost, I've got one and I'll never sell it, so the value's totally irrelevant.

Neil

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1444764246' post='2885805']
[url="https://flic.kr/p/fhJnhd"][/url]

My 9lb 6oz of Wal loveliness. No neck dive, no neck twist and I happen to think it's a loverly bit of wood :rolleyes:

This will be my one and only contribution to this thread. :)
[/quote]

First thing that entered my head on seeing that pic was ' toilet seat lid'

I think Wals sound great (in the right hands) but look pants.