Why become a member? ×

Wal - Honestly, What's The Fuss?!?!?!

DavidMcKay

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1444769225' post='2885920']
Meanwhile, in Saudi Aribia, a 3 times cancer surviving 73 year old man is expecting 350 lashes for having wine.
[/quote]

Should a similar fate befall those here who whine..? Hmm... Maybe a poll is due... :unsure:

Never owned one, but I've played a couple. In my opinion they really *do* live up to the hype. Just wish I could afford to buy one.

Realistically if I had £3k spare I'd get a new car - unless I had a massive tax bill and needed to make some of it disappear…. :ph34r:

So - quite a number of posters have mentioned the gains they have made by selling on Wals for 2, 3 and 4 x the original cost.

I can't help but draw parallels between art lovers who invest in art as opposed to those who are invested in the art - if you get my distinction.

Is a Wal bass an investment (like property in a good area) or is it a purchase from the heart?

Edited by DavidMcKay

[quote name='DavidMcKay' timestamp='1444771476' post='2885967']
So - quite a number of posters have mentioned the gains they have made by selling on Wals for 2, 3 and 4 x the original cost.

I can't help but draw parallels between art lovers who invest in art as opposed to those who are invested in the art - if you get my distinction.

Is a Wal bass an investment (like property in a good area) or is it a purchase from the heart?

The people should know! (or something like that).
[/quote]
Those options are not mutually exclusive.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1444771672' post='2885971']
Those options are not mutually exclusive.
[/quote]

You are correct - and who wouldn't want to buy something nice and have a good return on it when selling on?

Says more about market forces than the intrinsic value of the product being purchased - which is the point I was trying to make 100 posts ago.

Edited by DavidMcKay

Back on the original point, I walked into a music shop in around 1996 with £800 burning a hole in my pocket they had two second hand basses on the wall for £800...a wal custom and a musicman stingray V. I had lusted after a wal for years after listening to mick Karn, geddy Lee and a couple of local guys...walked out the shop with the musicman after spending around 40 mins playing the wal. Neck profile was just not good for me and it was heavy....sounded great but I couldn't get comfy playing it. Lesson learned.

[quote name='DavidMcKay' timestamp='1444771476' post='2885967']

[/quote]

so are you saying that Wals are art?

[quote name='jonnybass' timestamp='1444803813' post='2886084']
Back on the original point, I walked into a music shop in around 1996 with £800 burning a hole in my pocket they had two second hand basses on the wall for £800...a wal custom and a musicman stingray V. I had lusted after a wal for years after listening to mick Karn, geddy Lee and a couple of local guys...walked out the shop with the musicman after spending around 40 mins playing the wal. Neck profile was just not good for me and it was heavy....sounded great but I couldn't get comfy playing it. Lesson learned.
[/quote]

But just think. I you'd have bought the Wal it would be worth a fortune. You wouldn't even need to play it. Just leave it gathering dust and increasing in value year on year.

Edited by DavidMcKay