Why become a member? ×

Newbie wants Bass Amp Combo - Ideas?

Brian_Cook

I've only been playing for 6 months but I need an amp. The Marshall I've been using isn't a Bass Amp, and I want to move up a gear. SO, what's next? It's for home use and at a local Open Mike night, so thinking 60-100W will do me fine. My bass is a Ibanez SR1400T, so I want some quality to the sound. Any advice/recommendations are welcome. Brian

I'm sure you'll be swamped with suggestions... unless money is no object I'd recommend going for something expandable so that you have the option of taking a small rig to open mics and something bigger when needed.

So either a little combo that can take an extension cab or a separate head and cab to which a matching second cab can be added...

I've been playing for years and am very happy with my Fender Rumble 100 combo. Cost me £239 new from a shop, online I think they're slightly more.

100w, 12" speaker, no tweeter. Handy parametric EQ shape buttons, overdrive and effects loop. Also has aux-in (for your iPhone or laptop) and 1/8" headphone socket so you can practice along to your favourite tunes in silence (or loud for that matter). Weighs nothing at all and is a small box so doesn't take up too much room.

I use this at pub gigs with no PA support. It is loud enough for rehearsals, jam nights etc. It will eventually run out of steam if faced with two guitarists, keys and a loud drummer.

Alternatively, someone's selling a Trace Elliott SMX300 combo on this forum for £180. It's a bargain and a great combo if a little heavy.

I'd be looking at a secondhand Markbass combo, they pop up in the classifieds fairly frequently and you should be able to pick one up well within your budget, I think they will all power an extension cabinet if needed and they are fairly compact and not too heavy, and if you decide to move it on at some point you should have very little trouble selling it for about what you paid for it. I think that they're all 250 or 500 watts but it's better to have a bit more power and not use it than to run out of volume. you'd be surprised how much power you need to keep up with even a small guitar amp!

Matt

I use one of those redsub 100watt combo 10" speaker for smaller gigs. I use it as stage monitor and lineout the amp to the PA for bigger sound. It's a pretty cool little combo to use and sounds good as well.

I would suggest having a look at the use market for one of those SWR Workingman 10 combo. Quite hard to find one but they are good.

I bought a TC Electronics bc250 210 (here http://www.tcelectronic.com/bg250-family/ ) which cost £350. It has stacks of volume, a lovely sound, a built in tuner, aux in and headphone out, and downloadable / programmable Toneprint wizardry which serves as effect pedals. I honestly think that you couldn't do better as a newish bassist.

I only wish such combos were around when I started playing.

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1444297426' post='2881928']
I bought a TC Electronics bc250 210 (here [url="http://www.tcelectronic.com/bg250-family/"]http://www.tcelectro...m/bg250-family/[/url] ) which cost £350. It has stacks of volume, a lovely sound, a built in tuner, aux in and headphone out, and downloadable / programmable Toneprint wizardry which serves as effect pedals. I honestly think that you couldn't do better as a newish bassist.

I only wish such combos were around when I started playing.
[/quote]

TC combo is good and light weight. It would be perfect for your situation.

Anderton's have the Eden EC28 reduced from £439 to £199. I bought one in March and I've been using it for rehearsals and small pub gigs. It's a sweet sounding amp and loud enough while keeping the same tone at higher volume.

The combos mentioned above are all good but the E28 is now a bargain and as useable (for what you seem to need) as all the others.

Frank

Edited by machinehead

These days, with your budget, there are loads of great options - basically comes down to choice - can't go wrong with Genz Benz, TC, Tonehammer, Gallien Kruger, Trace Elliott (but as Truckstop says they are heavy)...in the good old days you would have been limited to Marshall or Fenders.

My only advice is; if you buy something like a Line6 or Behringer, buy second hand and very cheap because resale value is zero. If you go for something more expensive go for a decent make like Fender, Markbass, Tecamp. You can lose can more money on working your way up to what you really want than it would cost to buy the thing in the first place.

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Ampeg-BA-210-V2-Combo-and-Free-Sterling-by-Music-Man-Sub-Ray-4-Black/1DOX?utm_source=benchmark&utm_medium=email-marketing&utm_campaign=email-250915#full-des

get that Ampeg combo with the free Sterling.

Bargain!

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1444602071' post='2884506']
[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Ampeg-BA-210-V2-Combo-and-Free-Sterling-by-Music-Man-Sub-Ray-4-Black/1DOX?utm_source=benchmark&utm_medium=email-marketing&utm_campaign=email-250915#full-des"]http://www.gear4musi...250915#full-des[/url]

get that Ampeg combo with the free Sterling.

Bargain!
[/quote]

Only a bargain if you want another Bass too!

Rumbles are good - I've got a Genz Benz 500 which is brilliant but a bit heavy - should have gone for a TC electronics

still it beats lugging 2 4x12 marshall cabs and a Matamp 100 amp around which is what I did as a youth in the 70's (wish i hadn't sold the ampo tho - lol)

Having just spent nearly £1000 on a new Ibanez, I don't need another bass, but thanks for the suggestions.
I'm coming down on the side of a Fender Rumble 100 V3,
I like the fact it only weighs 10kg (22lbs) a little over half some of the others,
and seems to get great reviews. And only £230.
Now to talk to my partner about Xmas presents . . . .