Why become a member? ×

Rehearsing in bed

bonzodog

Working full time and with young kids I find it hard to dedicate as much time as I would like to practising the songs for my covers band. I have now taken to lying in bed at night reciting the words in my head to the songs I sing lead vox on and picturing the bass lines on an imaginary fretboard. Anyone else do this?
At least it's a good way of sending me to sleep.

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1443731136' post='2877334']
shoxking title for a thread. I'm sure lots of people rehearse many things in bed, for me, bass isn't the first thing I thought of!
[/quote]
That's what to call it when the Good Lady catches you with your old chap in your hand!

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1443728740' post='2877290']
Working full time and with young kids I find it hard to dedicate as much time as I would like to practising the songs for my covers band. I have now taken to lying in bed at night reciting the words in my head to the songs I sing lead vox on and picturing the bass lines on an imaginary fretboard. Anyone else do this?
At least it's a good way of sending me to sleep.
[/quote]

Do you use sheet music?

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1443769108' post='2877471']
'Er in doors sometimes acts as my glamourous assistant while we 'rehearse in bed'. Why she has to dress up as a French maid to demo her microphone holding technique has always puzzled me a bit though.....
[/quote]

"It looks just like a Telefunken U47..."

Yesterday I found out about an experiment in which a bunch of basketball players were split into two groups, one of which practiced taking shots, while the other group just visualised it. The second group actually showed more improvement, because in their imagination they were landing the shot every time, whereas the first group would miss sometimes.

Which means that OP's method of rehearsing without a bass in his hand actually makes a lot of sense. In his mind, he's a virtuoso.

Obviously we all know that in the real world, you need to build up strength and speed in your hands, and there's no way of doing this without physically playing. But I wouldn't immediately dismiss bonzodog's method as worthless.

S.P.

i had to learn a bunch of songs for a dep gig and realised that the bus trip to and from work was 30 mins each way to work thru stuff.

i managed to sketch out the songs in my head based around the key i estimated them to be in (which was more often than not correct), with all the various nuances and changes etc, so that when i sat down with a bass i had it 90% in the bag.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' timestamp='1443783529' post='2877631']...
Obviously we all know that in the real world, you need to build up strength and speed in your hands...
[/quote]

Surely that depends on repertoire, no..? I'd offer as example most of the early Roger Waters stuff; speed was seldom of the essence, I'd suggest. I'd agree for that there flashy stuff, but there's more to bass playing in the real world than [i]that[/i], I hope..? :mellow:

Having first worked out where they are in real time on an actual bass, I will usually visualise the notes on the fret board while I am listening to the tune with earbuds when I am doing a morning walk or at the gym. Sometimes accompanied with a mime of how to play them. And often I'll start humming the notes, too, which must seem a bit worrying to people close enough to hear.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' timestamp='1443783529' post='2877631']
Obviously we all know that in the real world, you need to build up strength and speed in your hands, and there's no way of doing this without physically playing.
[/quote]
that's what I said to the judge!!! :D