Why become a member? ×

The Guys That Re-form, Why?

Happy Jack

Yep, I'm with chris_b.
I'm reminded of an occasion in Germany where I was standing and chatting with Dave Dee (young 'ns can Google him) whilst watching Brian Connolly's Sweet. BC could hardly stand, never mind sing - he was actually very ill! I rather naively said to Dave D, "Why the hell is he putting himself through it?"
Dave D replied, "It's either that or the dole!"
Too much perspective, perhaps!

The BCR have got something that will make them a bit of money. They're not on the dole, they're not mugging old ladies, they're not bankers or lawyers, they are doing doing something that will, hopefully, bring a little bit of joy to a few people.

If you sit in any working men's club in the country, you will hear guys in their 80s and 90s talking about the war for no reason than it was the most significant and interesting thing that they were ever involved in. Why would the musicians in a successful band like the Bay City Rollers be any different? Nostalgia? Money? Probably both. I see no reason why not, if they can sell tickets they have as much right as any one of us.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1443018441' post='2871502']
Yep, I'm with chris_b.
I'm reminded of an occasion in Germany where I was standing and chatting with Dave Dee (young 'ns can Google him) whilst watching Brian Connolly's Sweet. BC could hardly stand, never mind sing - he was actually very ill! I rather naively said to Dave D, "Why the hell is he putting himself through it?"
Dave D replied, "It's either that or the dole!"
Too much perspective, perhaps![/quote]

Quite a few of the guys on the nostalgia circuits are jobbing musicians; almost always they're the ones from their bands that didn't write the hits. Andy Scott wrote quite a few of the album tracks, B-sides and a handful of hits, so he was better off than the rest of the band. Very nice guy most of the time, but he likes things to be right on stage.

I met Brian Connolly at an Edinburgh gig about two years before he died. Long story short; He never could handle the heavy drinking lifestyle that went with the role, but in '76 he was kicked in the throat outside a bar (latest theory is it was by a jealous boyfriend of a girl Brian had pulled). His voice never recovered, coinciding with the hits and market drying up. So he sought solace in the bottle he couldn't handle at the best of times. The final toll it took was him having over a dozen heart-attacks in one day while in hospital, which left him how you saw him. When I saw him he was helped onto a darkened stage by two roadies.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1443011157' post='2871407']
Please God ... why, Why WHY???

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34323112"]http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-34323112[/url]
[/quote]

It says why right there in the article...

[quote=BBC][color=#404040][font=Helmet, Freesans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Announcing the reunion at a press conference in Glasgow, singer Les McKeown joked: "You think we're doing it for money but we're doing it for the glory of Scotland and the glory of the tartan.[/quote][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#404040][font=Helmet, Freesans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=4] :rolleyes:[/size][/font][/color][color=#404040][font=Helmet, Freesans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=4] [/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1443021301' post='2871535']
.... I met Brian Connolly at an Edinburgh gig about two years before he died. Long story short; He never could handle the heavy drinking lifestyle that went with the role, but in '76 he was kicked in the throat outside a bar (latest theory is it was by a jealous boyfriend of a girl Brian had pulled). His voice never recovered, coinciding with the hits and market drying up. So he sought solace in the bottle he couldn't handle at the best of times. The final toll it took was him having over a dozen heart-attacks in one day while in hospital, which left him how you saw him. When I saw him he was helped onto a darkened stage by two roadies.
[/quote]

Me too, he rehearsed for one of his final tours at my old studio, and poor bugger had such bad shakes he couldn't hold the pen to sign the cheque for the rehearsal time... such a shame.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1443029062' post='2871673']
Could be worse, the could have just kept flogging a dead horse all these years :unsure:

[attachment=201377:rolling stones.jpg]
[/quote]

Been going to Stones shows since 1972, saw them in June in Milwaukee this year.

The Stones are still some entertaining MOFOs.

Blue

Edited by blue

Yeah, good luck to them.

Bands that reform at their age aint really trying to make it big againare they ? They have some fun, earn a few quids - sometimes quite a few, and the fan base, being in their 50s or 60s now, go and see them either out of curiosity, or with teenybopper girls bands probably for the memories and for a laugh with their old mates.

Edited by Slipperydick

[quote name='Slipperydick' timestamp='1443042432' post='2871836']
Yeah, good luck to them.

Bands that reform at their age aint really trying to make it big againare they ? They have some fun, earn a few quids - sometimes quite a few, and the fan base, being in their 50s or 60s now, go and see them either out of curiosity, or with teenybopper girls bands probably for the memories and for a laugh with their old mates.
[/quote]

The current line up of Slade - or Slade2 as the remaining fans still call them (sans Noddy or Jim Lea) play to a few hundred in the UK at their few gigs which often are part of a 70s package. In Europe they'll pull crowds of 50k+. same with Andy Scott's Sweet. I would guess the reformed BCR are looking to do the same.

The Solid Silver 60's Show is playing to packed houses every gig.

People want to see the guys who made their favourite music, from when they were young.

We, of all people, shouldn't be wishing musicians out of work.

I think any musician who is fit and able to gig should be, especially when there is a keen audience ready to buy tickets.