Why become a member? ×

Party on dudes, but we are packing up

lurksalot

We played at a party last night for a friend of the guitarist, we finished at 11.00 and the DJ played on till 12.00 , it was at a sports club with a small stage and the party had plenty of dancers and good spirits .
The DJ was going through our PA and we let the lights run fro the dance floor , but , we broke down the drums and backline leisurely during the last hour to facilitate our exit.
To me , this just seemed a little off, the party was still in full swing and we were packing up , almost disrespectful. It was not an issue to the guests or the hosts , and the party was for mates rates.
Is there an etiquette for this sort of thing or is it one that might get discussed at a booking stage for certain types of functions?

Not off at all, packing up gear that was no longer being used. If you`d not allowed the PA/lights to be used, knowing full well that the event was intended to be going on longer after you`d played then that could look a bit off but no, all you`ve done is make things easier for the end of the night.

Seems absolutely logical to me, we have even done similar at weddings on agreement with the DJ. It's not disrespectful if those who would potentially feel disrespected have intimated they won't feel disrespected.

If the client is happy, the DJ has no issues with it and the punters don't care then what else is there?

Not a problem imho. At a posh function you might want to wait, but we have packed up a few times while the DJ does the last hour or two. It would be a bad move to try to muscle your way through the dancers with the kit (case it up and wait to the end for lift out), ok if there's a side door.

It's all about the punters and I doubt they would care much anyway. By that stage in the proceedings it's really not an issue. Did a NYE gig in a function band at the Grosvenor in Park Lane and we had to wait until the death there, but that's a bit different.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1441534442' post='2859511']
I used to play with old drummers (from the days when gigs at certain venues would end with the National Anthem) who told me they'd finish the anthem on just bass and hi-hat and would pack the rest as they played the anthem.
[/quote]

I have been on gigs in the past, were that has happened.

True story.
On a function at the Dorchester, with a (inexperienced function) dep drummer.
After the last number, the band leader, with his fake smile, turned, faced the drummer and pointed at him.
The Drummer stood up, and took a bow.
The band leader said to him, "The Queen....you c*#$!"

For those unaware, it would be the cue for the snare roll.....Lol...

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1441534282' post='2859510']
I guess it seems a bit like a professionalism thing
[/quote]
....if people care enough about it to be upset then it could be construed as unprofessional, in my experience nobody cares.

In this context I personally consider pointlessly hanging around for hours unprofessional, and a waste of the most valuable commodity of all....time!

I have to disagree with most posts. I think you should leave all the gear up until party has finished as it looks unprofessional. People may not appear to be bothered but you don't know what they are thinking. I know on this occasion it was a mates party but in general IMO the stage should be left till the night is over and reflected in the price

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1441545001' post='2859659']
I have to disagree with most posts. I think you should leave all the gear up until party has finished as it looks unprofessional. People may not appear to be bothered but you don't know what they are thinking. I know on this occasion it was a mates party but in general IMO the stage should be left till the night is over and reflected in the price
[/quote]

That is how I often think of this scenario , and it doesn't happen often , but the issue could be raised at the original negotiation. It has been mentioned earlier , but it doesn't seem as awkward if the stage area has a rear exit , but breaking down and waiting or carrying through the party seems a bit naff .

We did it at a wedding in a posh hotel once where the host was happy for us to do it , they just wanted an hours set and we could go, we had to carry the kit through the party over the dance floor and through the hotel :blink: but we were finished by 10.00 and out by half past, and some guests even helped , so we didn't really get in the way of the party later on , but when it is nearer the death it is more like the party fizzling out rather than coming to an end.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1441545001' post='2859659']
[/quote]not a chance, I've got a home to go to