Why become a member? ×

Open Mic Nights – Huh? – What Are They Good For?

anaxcrosswords

I haven't even checked venues yet. But I will go to a few to see how they operate and yes I would not just turn up and expect anything.

I am OCD about this and would be checking all details of how I would hook up and what they could and could not accommodate. If the idea of a 13 amp socket sends them into fits then I'd probably walk away anyway, it's not like it's rocket science.

However I have done nights with bass, keyboards, vocals and drum machine (three performers) and they were on nights that were mostly acoustic guitar singer-songwriters and no-one was bothered (probably made a nice change).

My band played at one a few weeks ago (before our drummer broke his wrist) I personally don't like jamming with strangers, so contacted the organiser first and he said it was fine for us to all come and play a short set. It was really good, went down well and got loads of positive comments. We'll be going back and doing another 4 or 5 songs in October, provided the drummer is able... Drums, Backline and PA all provided, so it's like gigging without the ball-ache :)

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1441354317' post='2858132']

Oh God yes.
[/quote]
Place i go there is one guitarist who describes himself as "good on a bad day and f&&@ing awesome on a good day"and on his slot he spent nine minutes widdling away on his les Paul copy
I don't think the vicar, mums, dads and assorted tired children knew what to make of it

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1441292954' post='2857667']
Yup, they are particularly useful for newbs. You get stage time in a relatively friendly atmosphere, you get to play with a variety of different musicians, you get exposed to a much wider range of music than perhaps you expect.

Above all, you learn to pay attention to what other musicians are doing and playing so that you don't get left behind by an unexpected change or repeat, so that you can spot when the guitarist has decided to take a second solo, etc.

And you learn to wing it, to busk a tune you've never played before, to vamp on a chord while the singer tries to remember the next verse, to recover from mistakes (yours, and those of others). I've never once regretted learning these things.

Yes, you can make useful connections too. Not always, but sometimes. My main band (Junkyard Dogs) still has as its core me plus two guys who met at a regular jam session, while another band (Sapphire Grooves) has as its core me plus two other guys who met at a regular jam session.
[/quote]

All that.
Reading some of the other posts, i think It is good for pro's also to do this, nothing worse than arsey pros that cant be arsed to let their hair down have a laugh and give others the benifit of what you can offer them, its unbuyable pr,
Reading Rick wakemans book there is a great bit where he regularly goes down to the jam night and mucks in ( then hired the jam night band to do the whole king Arthur shows, like it was nothing..... "what you doin on friday bob,,, eeerrr playin a gig at the mucky duck,,,,,,, Oh fancy a gig on sat then !!!)

Also i know so called pro players that as good as they are they would not dare do a jam night, it takes them out of their confort zone, to scared to be seen making a mistake.
Turn up muck in and enjoy, a learning curve for all levels :)

Edited by funkgod

Some of the pros who have been regulars at the jam sessions I used to do (e.g. Sam Kelly, Chester Kamen) were not only superb in any setting but also hugely supportive to the newbies.

Playing bass alongside Sam on drums remains the living proof (to me) that any really good drummer can make a mediocre bass player sound great.

I played in one well known local band for 15 years, was out all the time set hardly changed, in the end the reason i left it had become so boring, you just become numb to it all, then went to a jam night.... What a BUZZ.. i had forgoten what that felt like, it was the reason i started playing, it catapulted me right back to when i started like a wake up slap in the face :)

Edited by funkgod

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1441351777' post='2858098']

It's all good, but do be aware that few open mic sessions will be keen to grind to a halt for 20 minutes while you set up your toys!

The ideal jammer walks on stage as soon as his name is called, his bass already tuned, plugs the lead into his bass and starts playing.

I've seen any number of guitarists infuriate the entire room by spending ages kneeling down, plugging and re-plugging various pedals, looking for power supplies, asking if the PA has a parallel output busbar with its own aux and slider, and does anyone have a spare patch cable? Damn! Forgot to bring the tuner.
[/quote]
I'd imagine they'd be chucking their toys out of the jam

I've done more than a few in my time but not much lately. I like going because you often don't know what you're going to have to play. It makes you think on your feet, listen carefully (good for ear training) and watch the other band members. Yes occasionally there's a train wreck but mostly it's pretty good.

Got one tomorrow afternoon in Godalming, a memorial Jam to a former band mate who passed away a few months ago and with whom I shared house band duties many times. We are hoping to raise some funds for the Music4All charity Can't think of a better way to pay tribute.

There s a couple of pubs open band nights near me. One is a pain in the A, write your name on a board and wait for the house band to crack out a few standard numbers, then wait for regulars to finish playing a 20 minute version of some lesser known Eric Crapton solo that they do every time they're there, and then do two songs. The trick is to leave before the Jazz nazis take over. To be honest only the musos were really interested. The only point of this is as a new band to get some stage time under your belt. I steer well clear of the jam nights - completely pointless IMHO.

The other allocates a set time and set length up to 45 mins. We have used it to test out new songs (basically a free rehearsal with an audience) and it worked OK.althogh the gear was shocking and the beer wasn't much better. It depends on teh audience but sometimes you get decent feedback about the song choices.

I've also done a few open mic playing six string acoustic with a singer from a former band, just an excuse to play, have a few beers and try to spot local talent. So I guess its great for "bedroom" guitarists and bassists to have a go in public.

As a fledgling jazz bassist, I'm lucky to have 2 regular jazz open mics a month nearby. I get to play on a couple of tunes each night, sometimes more. One of the nights runs a workshop for the first half hour, so you get to practice a new tune and then play on it later in the evening. Quite often there are a few bassists there and we take turns to sit in. Sometimes local stars turn up and sometimes they don't.

At the other, the house band kicks things off, then people who want to play call a tune and invite others to join them. I go round collecting horn players to join in. In the interval, a call goes out to invite people who haven't played yet to make themselves known. I've made loads of friends, got invited to join the band I'm currently in, have played with excellent players and must have learned something because now I'm finding out how to cope with people who have got completely lost - exactly what I was doing a couple of years ago when I started going along.There's also a folky one nearby that I'm gathering the courage to go along to.

On the flip side, there's a pub open mic down the road that is a crime against humanity, especially in the summer when they leave the windows open ... I reckon it's best to go along to have a listen at first, then take the plunge. And I'm going to follow my own advice soon for the folky one, honest, I am ...

I can't believe somebody hasn't said this earlier.....

'Absolutely nothin, say it again'.....

Some are great and some are rubbish. It depends very much on the organiser. A lot of the time you get ego twats organising these events looking for a vehicle to showcase their talent or lack of, or generally be the centre of attention. These types are always a disaster and are best avoided.

Another type is one organised by the venue to fill the bar on an otherwise quiet night. These are often quite bad but can at times produce some rare and fantastic occasions.

The best type of open mic night I've come across is where a certain area or venue is a hive of talent and it attracts like minded musicians, artists etc and a natural entity is born. It is not contrived or agreed upon but simply happens. After a few months of ad hoc meetings and performances it is generally suggested that 'this' should happen more often and a loose agreement is formed that perhaps the first Tuesday (an example they can happen any day) of the month is good for most people and something beautiful is born. These are few and far between and are also the hardest to break into but certainly the most worthwhile in my experience.

Which is which? Who knows? Go along and see what happens if you like it then it's good for you.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1441380440' post='2858501']
It depends very much on the organiser.

The best type of open mic night I've come across is where a certain area or venue is a hive of talent and it attracts like minded musicians, artists etc and a natural entity is born.
[/quote]

Absolutely true, but IME the "hive of talent" is attracted by a well-run event, which in turn requires a really good organiser.

For those Basschatters of the West London persuasion, I was lucky enough that the first jam I got involved with was that run by Andy Falconer, initially at the King's Head in Acton, then at the Drayton Court in Hanwell.

Andy died a few years back, a great loss. He was a superb blues guitarist and a luthier, very firm but very fair in the way he ran his jams, and totally supportive of newbies like me. I owe him a lot.

If you turned up and signed in, you would get to play. He didn't play favourites, but he was very good at selecting which combination of players to put on stage together - a great skill if you're going to run a jam session!

I started Mrs Zero singing by taking her to an open mic night. It had been many years since I did one, and the ones I'd done before had been on the folk club circuit (silence while the artiste is playing) so it was a bit different. House band didn't have a bassist so I took to doing that. Had great fun doing it, sometimes being kept busy all night with people wanting a bassist (note: this was an open mic, not a jam night). It wasn't just about music, I made quite a few friends there too, and still keep in touch with them.

And in further response to the thread title, I wish I could say that Edwin Starr, who lived just up the road, had come to a local open mic, but AFAIK he didn't. He did turn up to help judge a local Battle of the Bands though.

Most of the open mics in my neck of the woods are predominantly acoustic and there's not a bass in sight. The ones that are fully geared up seem to be used by the host band as a paid rehearsal and dominated by the same faces and friends of the band. So for me they're a total waste of time. I've been to one run by a mate of mine, on numerous occasions, and the scope for getting up with others to have a crack is nil.

The title of the thread made me smile as one of the last open mic/jam nights I attended I was playing with a drummer who was in Edwin Starr's backing band. I think on the whole these type of events are useful as a mid point between bedroom learning and full on gigging and can be good networking opportunities. I joined 2 of my previous bands as a result of jam sessions. I've also been in a house band for one of these so have seen it from that side of the fence too. I'm not sure how many real gigs they take from bands any more, the places I've done them in just couldn't afford to put bands on every night so if the jam/open mic night wasn't running there wouldnt be anything else on (and a very quiet night a the venue, which is part of the reason they exist).

There's one run on Nottingham Road at the Queens Hotel on Sunday afternoons but it's very rough and ready and they spent minimum on backline. In its day the best one was Sun afternoons at the Greyhound but that's folded. For a short drive away toward Stapleford there is one on Thurs nights at The Magpie.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1441625117' post='2860306']
Can anyone recommend one in Beeston area? Likely to be moving in near future
[/quote]do you want an open mic or a Jam session, the Hop Pole is mostly open mic, I think the one Kev B mentioned are Jam sessions