Why become a member? ×

cold hands time of year on its way

bassjim

this weekend i have four gigs fri,sat,sun and monday. two are out side because the venues have decided what with it being august and sunny this time of year they are having an outdoor affair.

both venues are small pubs with nice big gardens so going inside is out the question.

ive just checked the weather and if its not raining its cold or cold and raining. joy. there will be a marquee put up at both venues but cant see lots of punters getting into cold muddy wet glasto vibe field. how i love england this time of year.

this reminds me that soon our glorious summer will end and its back to cold hands time of year.

i find it impossible to get my bass mojo working when my hands are freezing at the best of times so wondered what you other giggers do to get your hands warmed up at gigs and keep em like that?

2 beerfests and a VW jamboree this weekend. As for winter, I avoid playing outside as much as possible. If I have to, I stick my hands up my T-shirt in between songs into the soft warm haven of my hairy yet pleasingly firm abdominal area. :ph34r:

A couple of years ago, we played in a marquee at Arrow Valley in Redditch, at the end of March. There was a light dusting of snow on the ground.

Worse than that was one rehearsal about 25 years ago, which for some reason we had in a Dutch barn (a roof on legs, for those that don't know), with several inches of snow on the ground. I really can't for the life of me remember why we did that, when it was a Birmingham based band and we were spoilt rotten for choice with rehearsal studios.

Fingerless gloves.

I think the coldest I've ever been was busking in the Birmingham Jewellery quarter at a Christmas market about 4 years ago. There was a mad rush of all the band into the nearest coffee shop at interval time.

I played at a garden party 2 weeks ago and was cold, that's the British summer for you I guess :).

A few years ago we did some recording in an unheated studio starting at 9am and finishing round about 3pm. At no time did the temperature climb above freezing. Oh joy!

There's a pic of me somewhere sitting in the corner with a big jacket and a wooly hat doing a garden gnome impression.

G.

Doing a party Sunday evening for a friend of mine. He has around 80 guests coming and it's
predominantly an outside event at his house. Just checked the BBC weather, going to be slinging
it down all evening, and not that warm either. August in the UK, don't you just love it.....

Managed to get sunburnt last saturday afternoon gigging at a small bike festival despite the horrific forecast. Evening gig was grim as a grim thing on a grim day in a grim town - torrential rain, lighning and a mud pit in front of the very small tent we were playing in... the crowd ended up putting on a mud surfing show for us.

USB powered hand warmer and a charging block for a mobile.

Did some subbing on the bass last year at the end of an outdoor festival up in the Pyrenees in August (basically was anyone who could rattle a tune out got a turn as the crowd didn't want to go home) at 5am. When things were being set up during the afternoon previous it was 32ºC, when we were finishing off it was 4ºC with a 90% humidity!

A couple of years ago my old band got booked to play an outdoor gig in January in Rzeszow in southern Poland. Ambient temperature was -10 degrees celsius.

My hands were okay at first, then got really cold, then warmed up a bit later on - when I found the sweet spot on the stage: in front of the jetstream of hot air being pumped out by a large space heater...

ok well thanks for your imput. mrs bassjim knitted me some sort of fingerless mittens. they are like fingerless gloves in so much as they have a thumb but then just one big hole for all four fingers to give more freedom of movement. as they are made for me they fit perfectly. they work pretty well and are still a compromise but better than nothing. i thought id ask around before accepting these are probably my best hope. as some of you say its not just the out doors thats cold. come winter everywhere is cold so next on the list for bass perfection...................hand warm up excersices/techs to help out. new topic i guess

I suffer bad circulation in my hands/feet too, so I also recommend fingerless gloves and wearing as many layers of clothes as needed to keep warm.

I think the guitarist in my band has even worse circulation than me as he insisted on having the heat on in the rehearsal room at yesterday's practice.

Unfortunately winter rehearsals are a bit of a worry with my band, as the primary method of heating the workshop loft we use is one of those paraffin/electric space heaters that looks a bit like a jet engine - the fumes/smoke are awful and after a few sessions last winter I was convinced I had mild carbon monoxide poisoning. I've bought a carbon monoxide tester to take to practices this winter, as much as I love playing bass, it's not worth dying for!