Why become a member? ×

Budget 5-string options

ForestPoetry

Basically I need a new 5 string for gigging purposes, that should be good enough to record with ideally (running through a Sansamp to juice up the tone for example). What I'm after is a beater, pretty much. Not junk, but not "great" as my budget right now doesn't allow for it. I've narrowed it down to 3 options:

ESP LTD B-55 - I like the shape and the P/J config, and the overall raw simplicity of it. Seen mixed reviews though. I had a B-205 for about a week and returned it cause I thought the pre-amp sucked, but I guess this one wouldn't have the same problem as the electronics are totally different.

Ibanez SR305 - SR's are my "go to" basses and I know I can just pick this up and play it well and comfortably. This is another one I've seen get some mixed reviews, but wether or not that's just gear snobbery I can't say for sure. I've also seen some people report problems with the bridge. I had a fretless 4-string of this bass a few years back, and it served me pretty well. Also arguably the most versatile bass on this list.

Jackson JS3VQM - With this one, I dig the 35" scale and the pointy headstock. I'm in a metal band so aesthetically this bass would be the obvious choice. I haven't been able to find very many good demos of this though. Unsure about the tone.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1440005541' post='2847532']
[url="https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_b_550_black_progressive_series.htm?o=14&ref=mal_a_14&search=1440005315"]https://m.thomann.de...arch=1440005315[/url]

I have the fretless version of this bass. It's blown me away and feels and sounds so good.
£105!!
(and it's black. \m/)
[/quote]

These come up as Decos too( got one a couple of weeks ago) so for around £50 your budget is hardly bothered!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1439998977' post='2847446']
The budget 5er that I'd start looking at is the Sire V7.

Quickly followed by a Lakland 55-01.
[/quote]

Yep, pretty much what i was going to say (and based on personal experience). I'd also add in the Squier VM 5 string Jazz, but IMO the Sire V7 beats it hands down. The OB EQ alone will probably cure any need for "juicing" the tone up. It did for me.

[quote name='ForestPoetry' timestamp='1440010026' post='2847584']
I forgot to mention I had also looked at the Yamaha TRBX305. What are people's thoughts on that? I find Yammy's kindof ugly looking but in terms of functionality they seem quite capable.
[/quote]

I had the TRBX505 up until a few weeks ago. The TRBX basses are really nice, but i never liked the B string. Compared to the Lakland and Sire the B string sounded very soft and non distinct.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1439999253' post='2847448']
There's a load of possibilities but I'd be going for a BB425 from GAK at £249 - oh wait, I did :D

It was my main gigging bass until I bought my BB1025
[/quote]

Same here, had a BB415 and now have a BB1025X. I have several more expensive basses but this is the one I pick up most often!

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1440011114' post='2847599']
Was going to suggest Yamaha. They work, although they ain't all that pretty.
[/quote]

I think this is pretty:

If you like the Ibanez SRs then a Yamaha TRBX will feel very similar regards the neck. I think the electronics are more powerful as well. Personally I wouldn't go for an Ibanez SR305, I have an SR300 which is a great bass but I don't think it as good in the 5 string. The problem with the bridges on Ibanez's seems to be the grub screws on the saddles, they work themselves down as you play sometimes. A friend of mine has an old Ergodyne and his does it...I told him to keep an allen key in his pocket when he gigs :)

All that said I think you'd be hard to beat the Sire V7 in a 5 string. The neck is a little thicker (front to back) than an Ibanez but it steel feels very good, electronics are very powerful - even in passive mode, great build quality. I have a 4 string and if I was looking for a 5 it would be my first port of call.

Any manufacturer can make a great bass, and price is rarely an indicator of quality.

The only advice I would give is play as many bass guitars as possible then choose the one that feels and sounds right in your budget.

Then have gas for all the other basses you haven't played ;)[size=4] [/size]