Why become a member? ×

Please delete

vmaxblues

Have you raised the question with the singer? They may be up for it - it's hard to tell with the guitarists explanation as to why that would be a bad idea.

In terms of storage, why doesn't the band all chip in for a storage box (big yellow shed etc.. I wouldn't leave guitars in one though) somewhere?

As to BC'ers opinions, I am seeking to see if I am being overly sensitive to this, I was really annoyed when the question arose, especially as the obvious solution was that the singer should carry and store at least some of the PA.

And to make it worse the guitarist going into sulk mode because I didn't just roll over and commit to being lumbered with half a PA.

I guess, where I am at is that if the atmosphere continues I will walk, don't need the hassle especially when I have done nothing wrong.

How old is your guitarist, twelve? Sulking because you can't get your way is pathetic. As is the singer, who is apparently so good that not only do they not have to share in paying for or transporting the equipment that is specifically for vocals, but don't even need to be burdened with the tedious details in the first place! Are they not even [i]slightly [/i]curious as to how this gear magically appears for gigs and rehearsals?

I'm absolutely and totally sick of this kind of selfish behaviour. I'd have walked away from this lot some time ago.

I did an audition the other day at which a singer/guitarist turned up who actually couldn't sing or play the guitar. Not in the least. It was really embarrassing. But when the band leader quite rightly blew this guy off for being a chancer, he got the hump and refused to take 'no' for an answer. Then next day proceeded to subject the BL to a tirade of abuse by phone and Whatsapp (whatever that is). Deluded or what??

What's wrong with these people? I blame the parents, the grandparents, the nanny state, the education system, the something-for-nothing brigade and Hitler. But not necessarily in that order.

Edited by discreet

That's singers for you, we've had/have the same problem, not to this degree, just put your foot down, as Japanaxe says the PA is his instrument, especially if it's just used for vocals, just tell them you haven't got the room to transport it/store it, then it's up to the others to sort it out between them, or just dump the bass bins, do you really need them? we flirted with them for a while but soon decided they were more trouble than they were worth

I joined a new formed pub gigging band when I first got back into playing, the purchase of a PA was discussed and I agreed to chip in, the drummer flatly refused and said "I spend out on drums, the singer should buy a vocal PA"

Whilst its not the norm for singers to do this, I now tend to agree when you are only talking about a PA that isnt to run the whole band through.

Edited by lojo

Seems to me if you already have a car full you can just say you can't fit it in, whether you wanted to or not. This saves the argument that you're supposed to be a band, not a backing group to support the singers ego.

PA ownership share is always something I'd avoid. It just leads to complicated situations like this. I own the PA we use but take an extra cut at gigs to cover buying, storage etc. Our old guitarist used to complain about this as he said "everyone helps set it up and pack it down" but I reminded him I load it into the car before leaving for gigs and then unload it at 1-2-3am in the morning when I get home and store it.

I'd discuss it all at next gig / rehearsal / beers and 1)ask the singer for some cash and 2) tell him he needs to store his share of it. Problem is if you walk someone is going to have to agree to buy your share out.

PA is a minefield, we all owned 25% of the PA and other stuff (lights, smoke machine etc) when the Guitarist and Drummer quit, me and the singer gave them £100 each for their share (we had had the gear for a while, so it wasn't worth much more than that), it was either that or somebody had to sell it all and then split the proceeds, not many people have the stomach for that load of hassle.

I'd be annoyed in your situation too mate.

We all try to divvy it up in our band, taking bits of the PA that we know we can store. As a result, our bass bins never seem to come out with us apart from the very biggest gigs as no one can be arsed to move them.

It's only fair for you to ask the singer to take some, and ask the guitarist what his problem is.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1439994167' post='2847364']
How old is your guitarist, twelve? Sulking because you can't get your way is pathetic. As is the singer, who is apparently so good that not only do they not have to share in paying for or transporting the equipment that is specifically for vocals, but don't even need to be burdened with the tedious details in the first place! Are they not even [i]slightly [/i]curious as to how this gear magically appears for gigs and rehearsals?

I'm absolutely and totally sick of this kind of selfish behaviour. I'd have walked away from this lot some time ago.

I did an audition the other day at which a singer/guitarist turned up who actually couldn't sing or play the guitar. Not in the least. It was really embarrassing. But when the band leader quite rightly blew this guy off for being a chancer, he got the hump and refused to take 'no' for an answer. Then next day proceeded to subject the BL to a tirade of abuse by phone and Whatsapp (whatever that is). Deluded or what??

What's wrong with these people? I blame the parents, the grandparents, the nanny state, the education system, the something-for-nothing brigade and Hitler. But not necessarily in that order.
[/quote]
Gosh ! You seem very angry today . ) I I agree with you tho

[quote name='vmaxblues' timestamp='1439991145' post='2847313']
The band I am in is going reasonably well but an issue has arisen and I really don't understand the logic.

The guitarist, drummer and myself have bought the PA between us, the guitarist for some reason didn't want to trouble the singer (his best mate) with shelling out for the PA, hey ho, not overly worried about this.

But now, the guitarist wants me to have two of the bass bins to store and carry around to rehearsals and gigs, problems are:

1) I have a car full with all my gear already (including lights)and I most definitely don't have storage room for two bass bins, and certainly won't be able to cram them in my car without doing damage.

2) The singer comes to rehearsals and gigs with just an acoustic in his hatchback.

I have refused to store and be responsible for carting around half a PA especially when the singer has an empty car!

The guitarist has entered the realms of sulksville, and at the last practise was very petulant and sulky, an attitude I so won't tolerate for long.

I am also in another band without this particular hassle and will walk from this one if the atmosphere continues.

What are your thoughts on this?

PS I have had many years of 'volunteering' under my belt as a lot of us have, and have had my fair share of being taken advantage of, I consider that having top quality kit, commitment to learning the setlist, having my own transport to and from gigs and rehearsals, and actually paying more than my fair share for the PA enough.

To me, this is a bridge too far...
[/quote]
Yeah, gotta agree .. Time to walk

The PA has to be stored somewhere. Why didn't you think about that when you bought it?

That's the real problem.

The singer hasn't contributed so I'd be very wary of letting him store it at his house.

You don't need bass bins to rehearse.

You need to find a solution which involves the singer picking up the tops, a wedge and the mixer and bringing them to the rehearsals.

For the gigs, you all need to meet and share out the PA transport as best you can.

It's not worth falling out over, but sulking doesn't come up with any solutions.

Edited by TimR

Ask said sulky guitarists how it can be done, seeing as your car is already full. When he arrives at the only possible answer, then point out the amount of room in the singers car, and ask pointedly why a person with a full car was asked, rather than one with an empty car.

You need to discuss it and if they don't your point, then act accordingly.

I can't see they have a leg to stand on...if as described, so getting dicked...as I see it ..
into carrying the P.A when others could help is not something I'd put up with.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1440005354' post='2847527']
Gosh ! You seem very angry today . ) I I agree with you tho
[/quote]

Hee, hee. I didn't mean to come over quite so crazy. It's because I've been in one or two situations recently where people have behaved like stupid spoilt kids instead of logical adults. I should be used to it really, the music business seems to attract 'em. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1440009549' post='2847577']

Hee, hee. I didn't mean to come over quite so crazy. It's because I've been in one or two situations recently where people have behaved like stupid spoilt kids instead of logical adults. I should be used to it really, the music business seems to attract 'em. :)
[/quote]
I hear ya;) probably why I quit gigging 4+ years ago