Why become a member? ×

2 Ruined New Bass Days

Thunderbird

Ok so I am having a bit of a rant here this all started way back in April I ordered a Yamaha BB424x from Reidys online and as bad luck would have it the bass arrived to me broken :( so I spoke to Richard at Reidys who seems like a good chap by the way and he said he would get me a replacement part for the bass as all it was was a pickup ring so I waited for a month and got the wrong part sent to me so back on the phone to Reidys who took the bass back but a week after collection of the bass I heard nothing so emailed them and heard nothing after a couple of days and spoke to some one about it and they said sorry not got a Yamaha so asked if I would like something else and if I did they would sort me out a deal so I had a look and chose a Traben, all is good at this point so fast forward a couple of days and some lass from Reidys phones me up and says I have to pay for the other bass in full so I explained the agreement about a deal being made but I got nowhere so paid the full amount as was to pissed of to argue by now was not cos I had to pay but was because some one had lied to me about sorting me out a deal:)

So my new Traben should of been with me on Tuesday but it came today (Wednesday) so unpacked it feeling quite excited but that did not last long as the bass looked like it had already been heavily gigged the fretboard had all black marks on it and there were file marks on every bit of neck wood near the frets and lots of really light scratches on the back of the bass I really think it was one that another customer had returned as it was not in the original box there was not tools or manual with it and it already had strap locks fitted it was a right bloody state so phoned Reidys back they do not have another one so Have asked for my money back (a small amount is on finance as it suits me) seemed a bit sh*tty with me on the phone but there was no way I was going to accept that bass in that condition so 2 ruined New bass days.

I really was not bothered that the 1st bass came damaged as that can happen but I am so cross about all the BS and then to send me what looked like a second hand bass with that kind of damage was unacceptable so wont deal with Reidys again.

That's shocking...

I do feel sorry for retailers getting returns (as with the Traben) as it's not really their fault and they are left with an instrument which they have paid for that no-one wants to buy. Having said that, if i'd been sent a return I'd have done exactely what you did! It's not your fault and I suspect they were trying to fob the returned traben off on you...

it's crap though.. NBDs are something we all look forward to and having them end up disapointing is no fun at all...

Edited by CamdenRob

Hope you get lucky third time round, the Yamaha seems like a great choice. Maybe checkout somehwere that offers similar credit terms where you can try the bass first.

Had the exact same experience with Thomann, gutting when you're so excited about something only to get let down. They managed it twice as well, the second bass had cosmetic wear, strings that were utterly dead and the nut fell off. No idea how it was signed off by their QC guy. Stories of poor service from them seem few and far between so it's a kick in the nuts that I was that unlucky twice!

Edited by Subbeh

As Ray Against The Machine said, send the link for this thread and remind them there's 30,000 members on here.
That can be a lot of sh*t stirring!

Must admit, I've always found Reidy's to be good, let's hope they do the right thing.

Didn't know (and not convinced?) they are owned by Rimmers. Reidys, with respect to Rimmers, are much more bassist friendly.

Good luck, BUT SEND THEM THE LINK!
Cheers,
Karl.

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1435161978' post='2806111']
Well spoke to Rimmer's and they say they are nothing to do with Reidys......[/quote]

Yeah, that's true - Reidy's is about 5x bigger than the Rimmers Blackburn branch, but it's only a 5 minute walk between them.

If it was me I'd be writing a letter in the manner of your OP to "Paul Nuttall", MD of Reidy's. He's a good guy in my experience and has run the place since at least the early 70's to my certain knowledge. Send it SD typed for his personal attention.
IMHO they have too many staff for the low footfall in the place, I beleive most of their business is MO now; so it could well be a p*ss-poor breakdown in communication.

Edited by Big_Stu

I have had experience with other online retailers before where you order a new bass and what arrives has clearly been out on the shop floor somewhere or has been returned by a customer. Dawsons did the same to me last yr with a squier jazz. You have to go in and select basses in person wherever possible.

Regarding the finance, you have a right to cancel within a set time frame so make sure you contact the finance company too.

I feel for you Thunderbird, that's really poor service.

My experience with Reidys involved checking by phone that they had a Modern Player Telecaster in stock in a partcular colour.
Yes.
They agreed to keep it at one side for me
Then I drove from Bolton to Blackburn to try it.
It was not behind the counter.
It was in the warehouse.
Half an hour later someone goes to fetch one.
Back it comes.
Gorgeous guitar.

Small issue with fretboard.
First fret is really smashed up.
Guitar is totally unplayable.
Tell member of staff who is apparently struggling to stay awake.
He mutters about getting another guitar from the Reidys wacky warehouse.
It won't be the shop until tomorrow.

Normally I would kick off at being made to drive 30 miles each way to marvel at a f****d guitar.
I had to go to Blackburn the next day anyway.
Otherwise that would have been that.
He puts the damaged guitar back on display.
I mind him that the neck is beyond repair.
Grunt.

Next day.
I have come to try another MP Tele
Grunt.

Guitar appears from warehouse an hour after I arrive to check it out.
Particularly horrible instrument.

Tell salesperson that the other damaged Tele is still on sale.
Grunt.

Exit
Never been back.
Grunt.

Edited by 12stringbassist

Shocking Mr 12 string, Well I still have not heard anything am so annoyed yet another day wasted staying in for a courier that is 4 in total now think I will email this link to them as suggested only trouble is I guess no one with any clout will read it :( will let you know what happens

You need to find out who the top person of the company is . Google ? I wouldn't be waiting for anything from them. I didn't realise you were expecting something to be sent .
I would just refuse any form of communication from them, and stop direct debit straight away .
It's when the direct debit is stopped , you will be contacted .

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1435309111' post='2807432']
You may end up keeping it . If there isn't a collection time / day in place then forget about it . Let them chase you .
[/quote] Well have had a return slip for collection today so all is good so far :)