Why become a member? ×

My flatwound / roundwound love affair!

geoham

I've been playing bass for about 20 years, and always used roundwound strings until around three years ago - for no other reason than it was the normal thing to do. After hanging around on here for a while I became aware of flatwound strings and I bought a Fender P in 2012 and put flats on it. I loved the feel and the tone, and eventually put flats on my Jazz too. I don't think I'd ever put rounds back on either of these basses, but I did miss the sound of rounds on my Jazz sometimes.

Last week, after GASing for something 'modern' since coming back from the London Bass Show, I bought myself a Lakland 5501 - factory fitted with stainless steel roundwounds. I've been playing nothing but this bass since I bought it, mostly to become comfortable with a five string. I'm loving the sound I get, but get quite a lot of finger squeaks and the strings feel quite harsh on my fingers. I'll probably replace them with nickel strings when the time comes, hopefully fix both of these without losing too much tone.

I picked up my P-bass last night immediately after playing the Lakland, and I couldn't believe how unimpressed I was with the sound - lifeless and dull - like big rubber bands! This is the bass that can't sound bad - have used in all sorts of situations and has never let me down!

Does anyone else find themselves contradicting themselves like this? I suppose it's this type of thinking that's responsible for GAS!

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1433164679' post='2788426']
Without getting too deep and messy here, I always thought the relationship between the string and the bass depends on the relationship with the music being played.
[/quote]

It's nice to play Stax/Motown with flats and rock with rounds, admittedly (for example)... but it's possible to get a myriad of tones from flats by varying playing position, using a pick, using various FX and pre-amps, etc. I like rounds, but I prefer the silkiness of my La Bellas... um...

...dammit, I'm just going to have to get another bass and fit it with DR Fat Beams. Oh, well... :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1433164946' post='2788431']

It's nice to play Stax/Motown with flats and rock with rounds, admittedly (for example)... but it's possible to get a myriad of tones from flats by varying playing position, using a pick, using various FX and pre-amps, etc. I like rounds, but I prefer the silkiness of my La Bellas... um...

...dammit, I'm just going to have to get another bass and fit it with DR Fat Beams. Oh, well... :D
[/quote]

You're missing a trick..... Double necks, duh :)

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1433165507' post='2788442']
You're missing a trick... Double necks, duh :)
[/quote]

Christ! My old, worn skeleton can barely hold up a P-Bass for a couple of hours as it is! :blink:

I'd need to be strong and muscular like, er... Mike Rutherford. :mellow:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1433164010' post='2788416']
Seen this?

http://www.ernieball.com/flatwound
[/quote]
Interesting! Will probably try them out on one of my Fenders at some point.

I'd be interested to know how long the 'round' sound lasts though.

Reckon I'll keep rounds on the Lakland though. I can't put flats on all three of my basses. Can I?

Those EB strings sounded great when I tried them at the LBGS. They were on a Stingray, all the eq set in the middle and they just sounded "round" but felt flat. If the round sound stays for a long time they will be a good purchase. I don`t like brand new rounds - in fact I prefer the sound of dead rounds, but in my current band I need more life to the strings than dead. Think I`ll try a set of these out at some point. Could be a good money saver.

For the stuff I've been playing over the last few years it's rounds all the way for me. I borrowed a P with flats at a jam session recently and really struggled with it. Nothing wrong with the bass and the owner (fellow bc'er) loves having the flats on but they're not for me. One thing I'd not realised was how much contact I make with the strings without actually sounding a note (bad technique I guess), I was getting friction burns off the flats which I don't from rounds.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1433176413' post='2788589']
Flats sound cack when you're plunking away on your own.
[/quote]
Couldn't agree more! It's band situations where they really shine.
I'm interested to see how my Lakland does. Haven't rehearsed with it yet, but may gig it in Friday!

I've just bought a P with rounds for my band as I feel rock and indie need the round sound.

I have flats on my Jazz.

The issues is the Jazz plays so well and I can't get the P to feel anywhere near it, it messes with my mojo and I always play badly on the P :(

• 2 weeks later...

As a direct comparison, would it be expected to be any difference in volume between flats and rounds? I've just bought my first fretless this week and as such, it's also my first experience with flats. It's a Squier Jazz, the modded Burgunday Mist one which was being sold via here earlier this week.

Just from my initial plays at home, I was surprised at how quiet it appears in comparison to the other three basses I have which are all fitted with rounds - all passive btw, Fender AVRI Jazz, Lakland JO Dudepit and Lakland Decade.

So, is a quieter tone to be expected from flats?

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1434104730' post='2796702']
As a direct comparison, would it be expected to be any difference in volume between flats and rounds? I've just bought my first fretless this week and as such, it's also my first experience with flats. It's a Squier Jazz, the modded Burgunday Mist one which was being sold via here earlier this week.

Just from my initial plays at home, I was surprised at how quiet it appears in comparison to the other three basses I have which are all fitted with rounds - all passive btw, Fender AVRI Jazz, Lakland JO Dudepit and Lakland Decade.

So, is a quieter tone to be expected from flats?
[/quote]

Hiya - yes i've noticed this too when i've switched between flats/rounds on the same bass.

The flats lose much of the attack, midrange bark and treble snap of round wounds, and have a much softer sound, which all seems to translate as being a bit quieter.

i think it's just the nature of flats and rounds that they behave differently, and sound different as a result.

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1434115762' post='2796858']
I think it's just the nature of flats and rounds that they behave differently, and sound different as a result.
[/quote]

Yes. You can simply turn your amp up or use a preamp or boost if necessary. Flats have a direct, fundamental power live that rounds, with their harmonics and spring, don't necessarily have... horses for courses, blah blah blah. I don't think flats have less attack necessarily, you just have to address them differently. I like both.

Edited by discreet