Why become a member? ×

Bandless again

Count Bassy

The Band has had bit of niggling discontent for a while, mainly to do with choice of material, and mainly in the sense of guitar, bass drums & sax versus the singer.

Anyway we arranged a meeting so that we could discuss this and agree on songs we we all happy with, or at least could play without moaning about it every time. [size=4]Then about 4 hours before the meeting the guitarist and the drummer sent us all a text saying that they did not want to carry on with the band at all. [/size]

So, from expecting an awkward meeting with the worse scenario being having to look for a new singer, it went to a relatively relaxed social meeting (because there was very little left to discuss), but with no band at the end of it.

The plus side is that we didn't fall out over it, the downside is that there is no longer a band, and it's left me with a real hole in my life, and I'm feeling it quite badly as the band was my only real musical outlet.

Apart from having no practices or gigs to look forward to it just seems such a shame that all that work has gone into the band was for nothing.

Just needed to share.

I think that I may be in a similar situation later this week - our (lazy b4stard) guitar left recently - we practiced for 2 hours on a Sunday - he couldn't commit to this - got one of my mates to replace him but he's been pretty unreliable too - expecting this to come to an end soon. Shame really as the drummer is not afraid of hitting the skins....

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1433000321' post='2786949']
I think that I may be in a similar situation later this week - our (lazy b4stard) guitar left recently - we practiced for 2 hours on a Sunday - he couldn't commit to this - got one of my mates to replace him but he's been pretty unreliable too - expecting this to come to an end soon. Shame really as the drummer is not afraid of hitting the skins....
[/quote]

Start a new band with the drummer?

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1432993077' post='2786873']

Apart from having no practices or gigs to look forward to it just seems such a shame that all that work has gone into the band was for nothing.

[/quote]

Its never for nothing, it just seems that way today. Your better, and have more experience of bands / asshole musicians now. Draw a line under it and start looking for the next one.

Endless practice does kill bands, it makes some, but others turning up every week and paying studio rates and nobody has done begger all work wise at home and things soon boil over.
If the band had gigs and a name keeping that name an momentum going is easier than a fresh start and more attractive to people looking, move on, let em go, get some adds up.

[quote name='NoRhino' timestamp='1432999182' post='2786932']
Post an ad about yourself on Gum Tree immediately. State exactly what kind of band you want to join and move on. Good luck.
[/quote]

And expect a load of replies form people wanting to do something tooooooootally different, at least that's my experience :)

Sorry to heat that mate, I know how you feel.

I was touring with my former band and was about to sign a record deal, but the lead singer decided on his own that he did not want to agree to the T&C's of the label which lead to the band terminating immediately.

Same thing happened with a band I recorded for, they released a LP and got offered some gigs around Europe and US but decided to part ways before anything happened...

Edited by Byo

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1433002673' post='2786979']
Its never for nothing, it just seems that way today. Your better, and have more experience of bands / asshole musicians now. Draw a line under it and start looking for the next one.
[/quote]

The next band? or the next asshole musician? :lol:

Define what you want out of a band experience at this point in your life and then decide if what you want is realistic.

I have a buddy that will only play music he personally likes which is obscure by most standards. He doesn't understand that because of his requirement he will never find himself in any kind of gigging band.

Blue

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1433009756' post='2787053']
Endless practice does kill bands, it makes some, but others turning up every week and paying studio rates and nobody has done begger all work wise at home and things soon boil over.
If the band had gigs and a name keeping that name an momentum going is easier than a fresh start and more attractive to people looking, move on, let em go, get some adds up.
[/quote]

Many say, at the local level, if you don't have gigs you really don't have a band.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1433138251' post='2788086']
Define what you want out of a band experience at this point in your life and then decide if what you want is realistic.

I have a buddy that will only play music he personally likes which is obscure by most standards. He doesn't understand that because of his requirement he will never find himself in any kind of gigging band.

Blue
[/quote]
Thanks for the thoughts Blue (And everybody).

What I want from a band at my time of life (58) is to be out gigging in pubs 2 or 3 times a month, and having fun. I am not a great or flashy bass player, but think I am solid enough for that to be realistic. However I have no illusions that it will ever be more than that.

On your second point: This was the original problem, the singer wanted to do stuff that he liked (fair enough), but it was mostly pretty obscure. The rest of us also wanted to do stuff we we liked, but that your average pub audience would know and enjoy (mostly classic rock and bluesey stuff). (And before anyone asks that did include a few cheesy ones).

Also, to make it clear, the guitarist and drummer both had very valid reasons for not wanting to carry on, e.g. pressure of work. Also they both work for the county music service and felt they needed to concentrate on that. Can't help but think that if it weren't for the singer creating tension it would still be going though.

Edited by Count Bassy

Most of us go through this I guess. What comes next defines us as musicians. When my first band (all friends) folded after five years I started my own band with one of my mates, this folded after a couple of years and the usual hassle over material. It's rare for any two musicians to completely agree over direction even in a covers band. I saw the writing on the wall with the second break up and joined another band with strangers which so far is looking really good.

Most of the musicians in the folded bands haven't played since, hence the defining moment. Several much better musicians than me have gone back to being bedroom players. Being unwilling to compromise music means they are unlikely to play in bands again.

My advice is to start looking into either building your own band or joining an existing one. It's not clear from your post but are any of your last band willing to try and make something new? If not keep a look out for bands needing a bassist. It only took me a few weeks to find a new band even in a rural area so I'd be optimistic.

Good luck

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1433152228' post='2788205']
Thanks for the thoughts Blue (And everybody).

What I want from a band at my time of life (58) is to be out gigging in pubs 2 or 3 times a month, and having fun. I am not a great or flashy bass player, but think I am solid enough for that to be realistic. However I have no illusions that it will ever be more than that.

On your second point: This was the original problem, the singer wanted to do stuff that he liked (fair enough), but it was mostly pretty obscure. The rest of us also wanted to do stuff we we liked, but that your average pub audience would know and enjoy (mostly classic rock and bluesey stuff). (And before anyone asks that did include a few cheesy ones).

Also, to make it clear, the guitarist and drummer both had very valid reasons for not wanting to carry on, e.g. pressure of work. Also they both work for the county music service and felt they needed to concentrate on that. Can't help but think that if it weren't for the singer creating tension it would still be going though.
[/quote]

That seems realistic to me.

I think finding an established band ( been together for several years with core member intact and a track record of gigs ) might be the way to go. I would steer clear of [i]"start ups"[/i] but only because 99% of them never see their first gig, at least that's the way it is over here.

There are no perfect bands but if you use some basic guidelines your chances of finding something that will last will be higher. I still say finding plain old "good people" means a lot. No prima donas and people that take this local rock band thing too seriously.

It's tough, if I were to lose my band I would be screwed. Finding another established band with good people and consistent good paying gigs would take years in my neck of the woods.

Blue

Edited by blue

With respect to Blue, I think there are probably a few more opportunities even for the more 'mature' player over here if you live in a reasonably well populated region and have transport. There are times when I've gone a full year (most 'off' time I've had) between bands but that has been as much to do with my priorities as there were potential bands to audition for. If you have realisitc expectations (and I think the OP Clive does from these and other posts I've read by him) there are gigs out there still. I'd rather move on to another project than keep slogging along with something that I don't think is really working at the expectation level I had when joining.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1433185503' post='2788717']
So not only was there no band - there were no gigs, no festivals, no money and no songs! Nothing at all, in fact![/quote]

That pretty much defines "start ups" IMHO.

Blue

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1433171714' post='2788526']
With respect to Blue, I think there are probably a few more opportunities even for the more 'mature' player over here if you live in a reasonably well populated region and have transport. There are times when I've gone a full year (most 'off' time I've had) between bands but that has been as much to do with my priorities as there were potential bands to audition for. If you have realisitc expectations (and I think the OP Clive does from these and other posts I've read by him) there are gigs out there still. I'd rather move on to another project than keep slogging along with something that I don't think is really working at the expectation level I had when joining.
[/quote]

Another thing you might want to check. When you see an ad for a bass player for an established band, many times they are also looking for a guitarist, drummer and vocals. Which means a band has fallen a part and it's someones desperate attempt to float a sinking ship.

Here's another thought, a band says they are looking for a bass player, you check out their web site and everything looks cool. Always ask if the band is the same line up as seen in their web-site. You might be looking at a photos of a band several generations back, when they were good. Oh that "hot chic" she's not with us anymore. :D

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1433187479' post='2788751']
Another thing you might want to check. When you see an ad for a bass player for an established band, many times they are also looking for a guitarist, drummer and vocals. WHich means a band has fallen a part and it's someones desperate attempt to float a sinking ship.

Here's another thought, a band says they are looking for a bass player, you check out their web site and everything looks cool. Always ask if the band is the same line up as seen in their web-site. You might be looking at a photos of a band several generations back, when they were good. Oh that "hot chic" she's not with us anymore. :D
[/quote]

Very good advice. I always try to avoid the following: 'Wanted - bass player, guitarist, drummer, vocalist, keyboards, bagpipes, etc etc' ...as it's inevitably a fantasist thinking a ready-made band is going to fall into his lap.

Problem is they don't always list all the instruments and can have multiple ads - one for each instrument - to trap the unwary! ;)

Edited by discreet