Why become a member? ×

Bandless again

Count Bassy

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1433328002' post='2790081']
To be honest, had we launched sooner, by a few months, then there might have still been a band despite the tensions. So the lesson is: don't wait too long before going for gigs.
[/quote]

I'd go along with this. One of my early bands (when I was still a novice to gigging) spent nearly a year rehearsing regularly only for the main guy to declare he'd gone off playing live (they were all older and been on the circuit for years on and off). We did 1 gig and went our separate ways. My latest project has taken longer to get a giggable set together than I'd like but that's only because 2 of the band are self employed and have been away working for some weekends and unable to rehearse. We've still only done about 5 proper rehearsals but are still looking to get bookings very soon.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1433328002' post='2790081']
Yep. This was a similar situation. We'd been working hard for about a year, had a good set list, and done four gigs as test outs. We were on the verge of properly launching ourselves to get more regular gigs, and it all collapsed.

To be honest, had we launched sooner, by a few months, then there might have still been a band despite the tensions. So the lesson is: don't wait too long before going for gigs.
[/quote]

Having gone through the process of leaving my old band then finding a new one a couple of months ago, getting gigs and musical expression was big part of the reason I left for me.

8 months with a start up band which seemed to get further and further away from doing actual gigs (15 minute test gigs with a bunch of mates in the rehearsal space doesn't really count does it), coupled with infighting about who was calling the shots and disagreements about musical direction.

I managed to find an originals band that had played a couple of gigs, have been together a little over a year with a full 30 minute set ready, have two gigs booked late on in July and are working on a home recorded EP. Plenty of time for me to get up to speed and they're encouraging me to re-write the bass parts to suit my own playing style.

There will be bands out there, just take your time, know what you are after and take a no-nonsense approach to other musicians.

The one thing I would add: my first band were all my friends before we got the band together, the experience had mixed positive & negative effects on those friendships. The new band are all sound people but I wouldn't spend too much of my spare time with them, it's much easier being more emotionally distanced from the band that I'm in.

From looking over most of the comments here it sort of confirms my belief. That is, established bands cover or original with good people and an established book of business are hard to find.

I will never take my band for granted. How many bar bands are there that travel with their own sound and lights,dedicated sound man,a secretary (she does everything including helping with setting up, load ins and out and she pays everyone in cash immediately after our show ends) and a respectable book of business.

If the band broke up I would be bandless for years. Unfortunately really good opportunities are not in abundance.

Blue

Edited by blue

Another thing about looking at bands your interested in.

Try to match your level of play, your skills , talent and abilities with that band. Remember guys don't always lose auditions because they were not good enough. It can be the opposite where you are light years ahead of every one in the band in terms of your abilities.

You might think a band would grab up a guy like that in a second. No, there are some bands that might be intimidated and just feel the guy is not a match.

Blue

I think I am pretty lucky. I joined a band at the end of last year. I actually auditioned for them in the summer, but they found another guy they already knew - I told them to keep my number, and I went to see a couple of their gigs, so when he left they called me up.
We do covers and originals, 3 piece band, rock / 80s / 90s pop etc. Own PA, Lights, free rehearsal space at a pub, did a warm up test gig there on the day before new years eve, done about 10 gigs since and a couple of free charity things (another this weekend), got another 6 gigs in the calendar already. We are not brilliant but we can play, and everywhere we have played have invited us back, and have paid us, so obviously not so bad either. I think it is handy that what we are playing is not quite the same as everyone else is (apart from the obvious superstition, teenage kicks sort of things).
I would be happy to play every weekend, and it isn't about the money, but it is nice to have the money as an indication that you are doing something for a purpose, other than enjoyment, getting in the same range as Blue.

If I wasn't doing this, I would miss it a lot, I enjoy it greatly, and for the past 30 years, I haven't done much!

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1433372700' post='2790628']
I think I am pretty lucky. I joined a band at the end of last year. I actually auditioned for them in the summer, but they found another guy they already knew - I told them to keep my number, and I went to see a couple of their gigs, so when he left they called me up.
We do covers and originals, 3 piece band, rock / 80s / 90s pop etc. Own PA, Lights, free rehearsal space at a pub, did a warm up test gig there on the day before new years eve, done about 10 gigs since and a couple of free charity things (another this weekend), got another 6 gigs in the calendar already. We are not brilliant but we can play, and everywhere we have played have invited us back, and have paid us, so obviously not so bad either. I think it is handy that what we are playing is not quite the same as everyone else is (apart from the obvious superstition, teenage kicks sort of things).
I would be happy to play every weekend, and it isn't about the money, but it is nice to have the money as an indication that you are doing something for a purpose, other than enjoyment, getting in the same range as Blue.

If I wasn't doing this, I would miss it a lot, I enjoy it greatly, and for the past 30 years, I haven't done much!
[/quote]

Yes, you are lucky.

Cool story.

Blue