Why become a member? ×

Bandless again

Count Bassy

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1433186368' post='2788732']

[OT] Hey Blue, loving that blue G&L ASAT bass! [/OT]
[/quote]

Thanks, I have been gigging that bass a lot lately. I found it used, $500.00 with case and all the papers. It's ok, it doesn't like all of my pedals.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1433187641' post='2788755']
Very good advice. I always try to avoid the following: 'Wanted - bass player, guitarist, drummer, vocalist, keyboards, bagpipes, etc etc' ...as it's inevitably a fantasist thinking a ready-made band is going to fall into his lap.

Problem is they don't always list all the instruments and can have multiple ads - one for each instrument - to trap the unwary! ;)
[/quote]

Yes, you really have to check the other instrument ads to put that puzzle together.

Blue

I don't know if my latest project would be classed as a 'start-up' band or not. The 3 guys I've hooked up with have all played in a band together before, one of them also occasionally does acoustic solo gigs. We've so far done 4 rehearsals in a room with gear provided, we've just done one set up in an empty room with our own gear to make sure we can get a decent sound with our collective own equipment and we are allowing ourselves another rehearsal of the full set, we will then start actively chasing up gigs (I think there has already been some interest from some of the other guy's contacts). Isn't this the usual thing then?

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1433193328' post='2788859']
I don't know if my latest project would be classed as a 'start-up' band or not. The 3 guys I've hooked up with have all played in a band together before, one of them also occasionally does acoustic solo gigs. We've so far done 4 rehearsals in a room with gear provided, we've just done one set up in an empty room with our own gear to make sure we can get a decent sound with our collective own equipment and we are allowing ourselves another rehearsal of the full set, we will then start actively chasing up gigs (I think there has already been some interest from some of the other guy's contacts). Isn't this the usual thing then?
[/quote]

Depends, you guys might not really want to gig much, I don't know.

If you suddenly find yourselves gigging 3-4 times a month with paying gigs then no that's not the usual thing.

If you get a few gigs here and there and the band falls a part, that would be the usual thing.

Blue

We're all middle aged with day jobs, probably the demographic of more than half the people on here, so a couple of gigs per month would suit everyone just fine. If it had been every weekend I wouldn't have done it, I have other interests,

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1432993077' post='2786873']

The plus side is that we didn't fall out over it, the downside is that there is no longer a band, and it's left me with a real hole in my life, and I'm feeling it quite badly as the band was my only real musical outlet.

Apart from having no practices or gigs to look forward to it just seems such a shame that all that work has gone into the band was for nothing.

Just needed to share.
[/quote]

As a veteran of band break-ups or dismissals from bands , I fully sympathise with this sudden hole in your life .
Band break ups can be as bad and ugly as breaking up with a partner .
My coping mechanism is dusting off the acoustic guitar and improving my guitar technique .
As a non Facebook / Twitter user , I tend to go to the occasional jam nights and still rely upon the notice board in the corner of the local music shop .
I also stay in touch with as many muso's as possible , so I still get the odd last minute stand in gig .
Generally speaking , something allways tends to turn up if you let enough people know your available for gigs .

All the best
Martin

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1433196656' post='2788906']
We're all middle aged with day jobs, probably the demographic of more than half the people on here, so a couple of gigs per month would suit everyone just fine. If it had been every weekend I wouldn't have done it, I have other interests,
[/quote]

With respect, it sounds like what you say, middle age guys that really have no strong drive to gig. It's sounds what I would call a "for fun only" band. So, no not a "start up" band. I think it should be easy to keep a "for fun" band in place.

Keeping a band together where you have guys rehearsing and rehearsing and wanting gigs and then there's no gigs. That's a "start up" and things fall apart.

I must be the only guy with no other interests. :D

Blue

Edited by blue

Don't really understand the problems some people have with start ups. Musicians generally tend to have bigger dreams (fantasies maybe) than the general population but that is also true of many established bands.

Finding the right people to play with is often our biggest problem but it isn't unreasonable to expect to kiss the odd frog before finding your prince is it? Just talking to people uncovers most of the dreamers. If they are over 20 and haven't gigged regularly then you know they are just bedroom players. If they are a gigging band then you should be able to see the gigs advertised somewhere and be able to go and see them. At the very least there ought to be some websites advertising cancelled gigs.

My latest band was a start up but all the other members had been gigging, for most cases for years. The singer was less experienced, but boy can she sing. Most of all the attitude at the audition was open minded and cooperative with no big egos and a couple of songs just flew. One audition to see if a project has legs? That doesn't seem to be a lot of effort to me.

The things I'd now look for in a band are people who have organisational skills and someone who goes out and sells the band/gets the gigs. That's the skill in short supply. If the band has a decent set list and long list of bookings then someone has done the hard work, if not you need to find out who is going to make that happen at the audition stage unless you ae prepared to take that on yourself. Musicians are easy to find, bandleaders less so.

There's plenty of warning signs. Have they booked rehearsal space, sent out setlists, suggested audition pieces, chord sheets and recordings if they are an originals band. Do they turn up on time, what's their gear like, how do they respond to suggestions? Are they interested in learning one or two of your songs?

The advantage of a start up is that you can expect more of an input into the music. Join a gigging band and you get the gigs at the cost of having to learn their set, their way in a few weeks and then sticking to it for a long time. With a start up you might have a couple of months of rehearsal but with more chance of playing stuff you really enjoy. I don't think one is better but both suit some people more than others.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1433217812' post='2788951']
With respect, it sounds like what you say, middle age guys that really have no strong drive to gig. It's sounds what I would call a "for fun only" band.
Blue
[/quote]

We do want to gig, and will. It's just that money isn't the main driving force.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1433233004' post='2789051']

[/quote]

I'm, hopefully, going to be auctioning for a band later this month and money is not the motivator. The band have played some decent gigs at known venues supporting some known and up and coming bands. I'd like to be in on that :)

I appreciate that everyone's viewpoint is different. For people like Blue and those who get paid well for playing, money is a key consideration. It's not for me. I'm going to be 36 this year. I gave up on the whole "being famous" nonsense when I was 23. I've been in bands that have been signed since that point I hasten to add.

However, now that I'm a bit older with 2 kids, my viewpoint has ironically not changed. I will never to covers. Ever. The day I think it's a good idea is the day I tear my ears off and sell all my gear such is my distaste for it. My own view is for self expression and if you get it playing Mustang Sally, so be it. Good for you, but sadly that doesn't work for me as I have to feel I've helped create something. Being paid would just be an ancillary bonus as it were.

I'll only ever join a band that I have control over my playing and I'm sure that due to that fact alone and that I'm only interested in certain genres means that as Blue suggests (much like his friend) my options are somewhat limited. Fair enough, I accept that. How many bands want someone to play a 12 string in their band?!! Especially bad is finding people for a progressive metal band. Even in London it's just a vast emptiness with tumbleweed blowing by....

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1433238764' post='2789141']
Sounds like a decent project to pursue Marv, hope it works out for you. What sort of music will it be?
[/quote]

It's described as [color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial,][i]Alternative, Indie, Punk, Garage, Rock[/i] - all originals. It's not my usual kind of thing but I'm actually very keen to get in the band.[/font][/color]

i went through something similar recently, by band of 3 years broke up over easter after our drummer was unable to carry on for various reasons.

its amazing how much wind can be knocked out of your sails when you realise how much time and effort you put into something and it can just end in moments.

none of us fell out and we are all still good friends, but i've hardly picked up an instrument since the easter bank holiday, so nearly 3 months.

My last band (a covers band) ended a couple of months ago. It was a long drawn out process to be honest.

It was the best band I'd been in, very driven, professional attitude, good musicianship, all despite relatively little gigging experience from 2 or 3 of us. We put masses of time into the band in just 4 months, did one gig had several lined up, then the singer announces she was moving away. Finding a replacement for her was impossible, she was one of the best singers in the area. Then the drummer and guitarist fell out and that was that.

I haven't touch a bass in over 2 months.

It has shown me though how much time bands consumed and with a young family how much time I shouldn't have been spending doing band stuff. Hopefully I can get a better balance with any new band

Edited by Marvin

ive been in an out of the band im in twice now, first due to time restrictions on when i could practice with the band and the second when we got shot of the singer and it all kind of fell apart and lost the drummer, both times i missed it like made but fortunately for me we got back together, new drummer and our old drummer is the singer (much better singer than drummer too)
i would love to play some original stuff and i'm sure we are more than capable but i just enjoy playing and feel privaledged to be able to do that. If i lost this band i really dont know what i'd do after as its a perfect fit. Yeah we play covers but we put our own spin on some of them which brings a bit of creative input into the band. Hopefully for the OP you get back on the horse sooner rather than later but i feel your pain.

Edited by lowhand_mike

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1433230803' post='2789020']
The advantage of a start up is that you can expect more of an input into the music. Join a gigging band and you get the gigs at the cost of having to learn their set, their way in a few weeks and then sticking to it for a long time. With a start up you might have a couple of months of rehearsal but with more chance of playing stuff you really enjoy. I don't think one is better but both suit some people more than others.
[/quote]

I agree,depends on who you are,experience, age and what your looking for. Some of us, well at least me, when you have been doing the local rock band thing for decades you pretty much know what you want and what you don't want. Above all you have to be realistic.

I play in an established rock/ blues cover band, when I joined 4 years ago I was looking for an established band, owned a PA for rehearsal and gigging with a verified income stream. I was not looking for nor had any interest in input to the music.

Like you said, that suits me at this point in my life. When I was a young guy it was all about original material, writing and input. Never made any money and didn't gig much.

Now it's always about business, what I have to offer and what a band has to offer ( pay). I am much happier on the covers side of the fence and have much more fun.

Blue

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1433241529' post='2789200']
I appreciate that everyone's viewpoint is different. For people like Blue and those who get paid well for playing, money is a key consideration.[/quote]

So there is no misunderstanding, I get paid, I am not paid well. It's not a lot of money :D . Over here, we are what they call a $100.00 a man band. Meaning we have a fee and we stick to it, if you book us for 3 dates at a time we may give a very small discount.

If I have $300.00 in my wallet at the end of the weekend it was a good week. :D

Blue

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1433233004' post='2789051']
[/quote]

That's cool, over here there are plenty of places that look for bands that perform for free. I am not sure what that's like in the UK.

Blue

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1433241529' post='2789200']
My own view is for self expression and if you get it playing Mustang Sally, so be it. Good for you, but sadly that doesn't work for me as I have to feel I've helped create something.[/quote]

I get where your coming from and many cats share your view.

Me, the second I start a show whatever I'm playing on my bass it's all about self expression. Whether it's [i]"Get Back"[/i] or [i]"Mustang Sally"[/i] I'm playing bass guitar the way I play bass guitar and I never play a song twice the same way.

I don't mean to be-labor a point, however for some, you don't have to play original or obscure material to express yourself. I was up late last night putting together a whole new set of riffs and licks for how I want to Play Stevie Wonder's [i]"Superstition" [/i]this weekend I felt very creative and it was fun.

Much Respect

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1433264892' post='2789573']It has shown me though how much time bands consumed and with a young family how much time I shouldn't have been spending doing band stuff. Hopefully I can get a better balance with any new band[/quote]

Me personally, this is not the business for anyone that has a young family unless your a pro and making big bucks as a full time performing musician. I never stopped when my family was young. What did it get me? A divorce, not fun.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1433280739' post='2789805']
That's cool, over here there are plenty of places that look for bands that perform for free. I am not sure what that's like in the UK.

Blue
[/quote]

We won't be performing for free, we just won't make enough for it to be our sole income, like >90% of other pub covers bands here. The prime motivation will be entertaining folks and, in doing so, entertaining ourselves.

Edited by KevB

I know one guy I have depped for who is a guitarist, he has re-invented his entire band 3 times now after people left and threw teddies out, he keeps the brand and name and the PA and lights and has a very robust attitude to tantrums, there's the door if your not happy is his attitude and your jobs is up for grabs next day.
This said he is a smashing honest guy to work with who splits equally everything despite providing most the gear.

His refusal to let strop throwing members to pull the band down is something I strongly admire, even when the full band walked over wanting to only play two gigs a month on alternative weekends he stuck to his guns and was back up and running in less than a month.
All the people that walked on him last time have spent over a year trying to get bands going and failed, some people can not do the job without leadership in my opinion.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1433264892' post='2789573']
My last band (a covers band) ended a couple of months ago. It was a long drawn out process to be honest.

It was the best band I'd been in, very driven, professional attitude, good musicianship, all despite relatively little gigging experience from 2 or 3 of us. We put masses of time into the band in just 4 months, did one gig had several lined up, then the singer announces she was moving away. Finding a replacement for her was impossible, she was one of the best singers in the area.
[/quote]

Yep. This was a similar situation. We'd been working hard for about a year, had a good set list, and done four gigs as test outs. We were on the verge of properly launching ourselves to get more regular gigs, and it all collapsed.

To be honest, had we launched sooner, by a few months, then there might have still been a band despite the tensions. So the lesson is: don't wait too long before going for gigs.