Why become a member? ×

Inappropriate Songs For The Occasion

Norris

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1433097713' post='2787837']
Its not just weddings though surely.

apparently Light My Fire, and Arthur Browns Fire are popular at Cremations. Not many funerals have bands though.

Anybody played a funeral ?
[/quote]

Never played at one but my dad went to a work colleagues funeral years ago where it had been arranged that the crematorium would play the guy's favorite elvis song as the curtains drew across and the coffin disappears. Instead of "Love Me Tender" they accidentally played "Return To Sender".

When I was younger my band was asked to play at my best mate's girlfriend's 18th party. We opened with "Get A Job" by The Offspring. The look on her dad's face was priceless as our singer belted out the opening lines.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1432933078' post='2786459']
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now.
[/quote]

Smiths songs have an advantage in that they're inappropriate for any occasion.

"One way or another" by Blondie (apparently some modern band called One Way Street or summat like that have recently covered it) is another stalking song.

"Roxanne" would probably be best avoided at a wedding, especially if the bride's name is Roxanne.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1433338907' post='2790223']
Wayne County and the Electric Chairs, "If you don't wanna f....." would probably not be the ideal song for a wedding. As yet I haven't heard it at one though.
[/quote]

Ha ha, I've love that at my fantasy wedding!
(But maybe that attitude is why I've never had a real one) :lol:

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1433341051' post='2790257']
Ha ha, I've love that at my fantasy wedding!
(But maybe that attitude is why I've never had a real one) :lol:
[/quote]

I don't know Shell, I think that makes you eminently marriable. If that's a word. :D

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1433263032' post='2789549']
I played in a covers band once in which the singer would often change the lyrics in songs to 'soundalikes' that gave the song a completely different meaning. On the downside, people at our regular gigs started to expect it and we would sometimes get a bit of flak for playing songs as per the original lyrics. :huh: [/quote]

Excellent when done well, such as Lionel Ritchie's "Hello" - "are you somewhere feeling lonely, or is someone feeling you?"

Even during the last Royal Wedding I couldn't believe how many radio and club DJs, bands etc hadn't actually listened to the actual lyrics of Billy Idol's "White Wedding". How do I know? The wife of a mate of mine, after 20 years, STILL isn't speaking to me.

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1433178260' post='2788618']
I have a theory that a significant percentage of the public have no idea what the lyrics are to any given song.
[/quote]

I know a few singers like that as well.

[quote name='Joeyfivebags' timestamp='1433403018' post='2790712']
A friend of mine as the last song as her wedding reception requested "F**k her gently" by tenacious D.
[/quote]

Ah, there's certainly no substitute for good taste and refinement. :)

• 1 month later...

The worst thing of this kind I have ever come across was a story from an uncle of mine who is a vicar. He was doing a funeral and the relatives had asked for the song 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' from the Wizard of Oz soundtrack - a perfectly nice song that is no doubt fine for such an occasion. However, they failed to stop the CD after the song and it moved on to play 'Ding Dong the Witch is Dead' which is perhaps not quite what they had in mind.

We played an interesting function once: not so much My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding as My Morbidly Obese Tattooed Chav Wedding. The bride was a hideous 300-pounder wrapped in a curtain, who only ever took the fag out of her mouth long enough to shovel in more sausage rolls.

I'm not sure how 'Big Girl You Are Beautiful' made it onto the set list, and even less certain how we made it through to the end without collapsing in hysterics.

Just got home from my niece's wedding, all nice Christian types (not like me at all).

The band (all nice Christian types) played Ring Of Fire, Billy Jean (is not my lover), Get You (hint: the original title was not "Get" You), etc.

I got the impression that I was the only person there who had a clue what all these songs were about, and why people used to call this The Devil's Music.

In the mid 70's I played in an appallingly awful workingman's club band. The organist told me how they played an Irish club in Willesden and at the end of the night the club manager came up an told them to play "the anthem". Blank looks..... "the national anthem", he said.

Ah, OK, so they started on God Save The Queen.

About a dozen people shouted at them, the Irish National Anthem, you F*ing idiots.

The whole place stood and sang without the band, who didn't have a clue how to play the Irish National Anthem.

They did get paid, but apparently weren't asked back!

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1432973453' post='2786638']
Some oldies but goodies:

Leaving on a jet plane.
[/quote]

Been there. Done that. The couple's request for the first dance song.

We suggested that maybe they might reconsider, but they wanted it anyway.