Why become a member? ×

Bonding with your basses?

Paul S

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1430659573' post='2763451']
Paul, I think that the time has come to sell me back that 32" PBass :)

I really 'bonded' with that one! (but sold it...)
[/quote]

Ted, how can I put this politely?

:P :P :P :P :P :P (emoticon police won't allow more)

:)

Edit - with the caveat that if you ever come across a Katana and can live with the shape it sounds and plays almost exactly the same - they are basically A series medium scale MIJ Squier Precisions with a bonkers shape. In fact I find it extremely comfy as the missing bits of body are exactly where I have extra bits :)

Nevertheless - :P

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1430653067' post='2763374']
Seriously though, all I want is a decent all-valve amp that doesn't burst my scrotum when I pickup it up, then I'm done.
[/quote]

I suspect you might be trying to pick it up by the wrong method in this is the result ;)

But honestly, you are never going to get a light all valve amp - too many transformers.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1430664031' post='2763506']
Edit - with the caveat that if you ever come across a Katana and can live with the shape it sounds and plays almost exactly the same - they are basically A series medium scale MIJ Squier Precisions with a bonkers shape. In fact I find it extremely comfy as the missing bits of body are exactly where I have extra bits :)
[/quote]

Ha! Well there you go, I think having TWO 32" scale MIJ precisions is just being greedy. Even if one is a triangle...
I'm here if you change your mind :D

I have a 'bonding issue' with Fender.

It doesn't matter if it's a PB, JB, acoustic guitar or Telecaster, I always feel pretty underwhelmed by the experience.
No hatred of the brand, it just doesn't tick any boxes with me.

The only exception is their Stratocaster which I'm quite happy playing with very little arm twisting, or indeed encouragement. :)

I do actually own a JB, it rarely leaves the case and I groan inwardly whenever I get cornered into having to use it.

In all fairness to Fender, they were designed to be mass produced to suit an 'average' user.
I'm not an 'average' anything - interpret that as you wish. :D

This is the joy of making music though isn't it? If you have an instrument that feels like it's letting you play and you enjoy the experience it's a wonderful thing. Bonded with my ASAT instantly and use it for everything. Likewise my cabs, stupidly attached to those, just need the right type of amp to crop up.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1430653355' post='2763383']
You need to try the Mesa Prodigy. I know it wasn't for me, but it definitely meets your second requirement!
[/quote]

I'm aware of it, but haven't tried one.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1430665732' post='2763517']
...you are never going to get a light all valve amp - too many transformers.
[/quote]

True, but it's all relative. My last valve amp was 35kg, I'm sure it must be possible to find one lighter than that.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1430667064' post='2763537']
I have a 'bonding issue' with Fender.
In all fairness to Fender, they were designed to be mass produced to suit an 'average' user.
I'm not an 'average' anything - interpret that as you wish. :D
[/quote]

Hi, nice to meet you, I'm Mr Average :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1430688396' post='2763793']
True, but it's all relative. My last valve amp was 35kg, I'm sure it must be possible to find one lighter than that.
[/quote]

Well, the size of the output transformer is directly proportional to the power that can go through it, and with valve amplifiers being very inefficient, the main power transformer also has to be big. The rest of the components aren't going to weigh anything much and there isn't much of it, so really it is those and the box that give you the weight.

I've had a few instruments that have been perfectly good, even excellent, but that I haven't bonded with and so have been moved on. The most recent was a Status, swapped for a Warwick Buzzard which I have really taken to.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1430688396' post='2763793']

I'm aware of it, but haven't tried one.

[/quote]

It's not a huge difference but the Fender Super Bassman is just under 30kg. They also make a 100w version at 22kg.
And the new Ampeg V4B, also 100w, is 18.5kg.

[quote name='joeystrange' timestamp='1430729662' post='2763977']
It's not a huge difference but the Fender Super Bassman is just under 30kg. They also make a 100w version at 22kg.
And the new Ampeg V4B, also 100w, is 18.5kg.
[/quote]

!00 valve watts is more than adequate for bass in most situations. I had a Burman 100-watter and it was incredibly loud. I only ever had the volume up around 9 o'clock and this in a rock band with a silly loud guitarist and drummer.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1430732162' post='2764022']

!00 valve watts is more than adequate for bass in most situations. I had a Burman 100-watter and it was incredibly loud. I only ever had the volume up around 9 o'clock and this in a rock band with a silly loud guitarist and drummer.
[/quote]

Have you seen the Peavey Valveking II 100w head on the Gear4Music website.....dunno how heavy it is but at £299 quite a lot of amp for that money :)

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1430734883' post='2764060']
Have you seen the Peavey Valveking II 100w head on the Gear4Music website... dunno how heavy it is but at £299 quite a lot of amp for that money :)
[/quote]

I was looking at that only t'other day. It's less than 19kg... also, Peavey have a rep for reliability.
But we seem to have wandered off topic, so maybe this should be done elsewhere. :)

[b] Dog vs Cat Diary[/b]

[b]Dog Diary[/b]

8:00 am - Dog food! My favourite thing!

9:30 am - A car ride! My favourite thing!

9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favourite thing!

10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favourite thing!

12:00 PM - Lunch! My favourite thing!

1:00 PM - Played in the yard! My favourite thing!

3:00 PM - Wagged my tail! My favourite thing!

5:00 PM - Milk bones! My favourite thing!

7:00 PM - Got to play ball! My favourite thing!

8:00 PM - Watched TV with my people! My favourite thing!

11:00 PM - Sleeping on the bed! My favourite thing!

[b]Cat Diary[/b]

[i]Day 983 of my captivity[/i]

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape.

In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet.

Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates what I am capable of. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a "good little hunter" I am.

B------ds!

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of "allergies." I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow -- but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches.

The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released - and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded.

The bird has got to be an informant. I observe him communicate with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe.... for now.

=======================================================================================================

I have decided that I am similar to the dog, just with basses. Unless there is something horrific with the set up then I like every one I try. Every time I pick up one I do not own I think "yep, this would do". I am so shallow.