Why become a member? ×

Songs you love to play.

xgsjx

To counter the love hate thing, what songs do you love playing?

One I can play & play & never get bored of is Use Me by Bill Withers.
Not just sitting on the original bassline, but playing about with it (like incorporating part of the keys with it). The amount of groove it generates is just so much fun. :D

That's just the first that comes to mind.

Soooo... What covers do you love to play?

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1430158943' post='2758529']
Angie by The Stones. I have created my own bass line for it, using elements of different songs I have pinched. The band always comment on how good it sounds. :D
[/quote]
Yes!! I love that one too, sounded great with my old band and plenty of room to experiment with the bass :)

Bass-wise I love playing NIB, Hey Joe, She's Not There, Sir Psycho Sexy (never had a band play it sadly), Cryin' (Aerosmith), Don't Follow by Alice in chains - I used to play a huge "lead-bass" part through the second half of it :)

The one I'm enjoying getting to grips with for the new project is Echo Beach, probably because I've also had to create a patch for the midi pedals and find a way of playing those at the same time as a (slightly simplified) bassline. It's coming together but the singer's not sure about it which means it'll probably get dropped just as I've mastered it!

[quote name='Qlank' timestamp='1430222569' post='2759099']
Rolling in the deep by Adelle. Cool to play. Need to convince the rest of the band to play it.
[/quote]
Hope you convince them. It's been on our set list for a couple of years and always goes down well.

A favourite of mine is [b]Somebody Told Me[/b] ([i]Killers[/i]) for which I usually drop the E to Eb for the mid-section that starts with "Pace yourself for me". That chorus is huge fun.

I never tire of playing 'It's My Life' by Talk Talk.

Also, I had to play '9 to 5' by Dolly Parton when standing in for a band once and really loved playing that, I never even liked the song up to that point!

'Something' by The Beatles too.

I think its nice to play 'Out of Reach' by Gabrielle on a P bass with flats.

Strange thing is that I don't really like listening to any of these songs for pleasure very much, I just stumbled upon each one through doing covers in bands.

Edited by interpol52

All the Jamiorquai stuff is great fun to play.

I learned Sir Duke over the weekend and it's an absolute joy to play!

I love to play Disco Inferno by The Trammps as well, always fun.

I Want You Back is an enjoyable line to play.

You're The One That I Want is another fun bassline. Gets a great reaction from the laydees, they always recognise that bassline and laydees all love Grease!

I get a kick out of nailing anything challenging too, so I love to play The Chinese Way by Level 42 :-)

I almost forgot -

Jungle Boogie
Frankenstein

Edited by Funky Dunky

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1430170043' post='2758683']

Don't Follow by Alice in chains - I used to play a huge "lead-bass" part through the second half of it :)
[/quote]

I think every bassline between 'Jar of Flies' and 'Sap' is probably worth a shout. I especially love Nutshell and No Excuses. Mike Inez's bassline on Down In A Hole from the MTV Unplugged set is also a peach.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1430223622' post='2759119']
The one I'm enjoying getting to grips with for the new project is Echo Beach, probably because I've also had to create a patch for the midi pedals and find a way of playing those at the same time as a (slightly simplified) bassline. It's coming together but the singer's not sure about it which means it'll probably get dropped just as I've mastered it!
[/quote]

We are doing that as well, currently no keyboards, but wondering if there was scope for the midi pedals - I certainly can't do the full keyboard part!