Why become a member? ×

Selling on Basschat, a suggestion to the MODs

bassface2k10

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1429967713' post='2756783']
It's already easy to find what you're looking for. On the Basses For Sale page, type your search term in the search box (duh!) and open the grey pull-down menu, then select 'This Forum'. Job done.
[/quote]

Are you trying to imply i'm stupid with the "Duh!" comment

It was a suggestion thats all, no need to be rude about it now is there

Edited by bassface2k10

moving on..
When you list something for sale, you can put a number of tags in as well.. how does the searching for tags thing work?
It strikes me that tags could actually be the way of putting your bass in any categories you fancy, then it's down to the browser or buyer as to whether they just want to look across the whole section or by tag. At the mo, I believe we can tag as we wish; perhaps a preset list of tags could be used by way of subdivisions?
This is already part of the site software, so the onus is on us to learn (maybe a masterclass in the offing?) how to use it to its full potential before worrying about new (and time-consuming and expensive!) software.

[quote name='bassface2k10' timestamp='1429968141' post='2756787']

Are you trying to imply i'm stupid with the "Duh!" comment

It was a suggestion thats all, no need to be rude about it now is there
[/quote]

My impression was that it wasn't aimed at you, rather a way of expressing that he himself was stating the obvious ☺

If anything it would be handy to see who's offering shipping if the item is too far away based on our locations or even the actual location of the item.

But then that would mean more subdivisions in the high school halls, in the shopping malls, conform or be cast out.

All joking aside my biggest bug bear is looking at all the lovely pictures, great description then you get to the last post and it's sold, bah :(

I always think one of the nice things about the for sale section is that you can browse around and might come across something interesting you'd not normally spot.

Subdividing would take this away and the section could get a bit boring. I think it would hurt sales numbers too.

[quote name='bassface2k10' timestamp='1429963136' post='2756732']
A little bit of digging around threw up this extension http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/4037-classifieds/?page=2
and this as an example of it in action, parts are ugley but not beyond some hacking of the CSS :-) https://www.pro-bike.ro/forums/classifieds/category/14-motocross-trial/?sort_key=price&sort_order=desc
[/quote]

If you stick to COTS packages you have a clear upgrade path for future releases.

As soon as you go down the customisation path you are in for serious pain every time a minor upgrade is issued and that soon outweighs the, usually minor, benefits associated with that customisation.

We're going through some minor 'decustomisation' here at the moment and it's erm... 'interesting'. .. :rolleyes:

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"Is there any chance that the ‘basses for sale’ section on the forum could be split into sub sections, for example[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Fender[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Warwick[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ibanez[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Lakland[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Sandberg[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Custom[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]and so one[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]This would make the section a lot easier to navigate, It'll be easier to locate a bass the user may be looking for.... "[/font][/color]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]I would like to see something like this for Stolen Basses so anyone could have a quick look through, when buying a bass - anywhere! It would be a good historical data resource and a timely incentive for us to take some good pictures and record serial numbers, for the basses we own currently.[/color][/font]

Following my previous post, I've been looking more closely at tags.. in the first couple of pages, only a handful of sellers are even using them. However, hovering over a tag brings up a little sign which says 'Find more content tagged 'xxx''. Even clicking on some definite repeats, such as 'Fender', 'Overwater' and '5 string', I get a page which tells me that no restults are found.
Are the tags actually active at all?
On a quick read down these first couple of pages I see some obvious ones (see above) getting repeated use, but then our combined creativity takes over.. there's one, which is totally valid, tagged as [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&search_tags=F+bass+Fretless+Alain+Caron&search_app=forums"]F bass Fretless Alain Caron[/url].. as I say a valid tag, but if the next person to be selling such a thing changes one letter or space while trying to advertise theirs it will be a different specific tag. This is why I suggested a template of tags, from which one might choose by brand, colour, number of strings etc.
Of course the tags actually have to be active for this to work, but then the default position if that the whole BFS section shows. After that we are free to click on a tag of choice if we wish to narrow our search.
When it comes to listing our BFS, it's up to the seller.. want to make your bass more visible in a more specific search? Use tags. Just want to fire it up in the BFS section? Don't bother.

It strikes me, as an extra benefit, that preset tags also gets us round either spelling mistakes (not so common on BC, but we've all browsed on Ebay and chortled at the Finder Precocious basses, I'm sure!) or variance (is it 5string or 5 string? Or strings? Or Five?)
I think most on here are either fairly knowledgeable about their gear, or at least interested enough to learn from others.

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1430045157' post='2757331']
It strikes me, as an extra benefit, that preset tags also gets us round either spelling mistakes (not so common on BC, but we've all browsed on Ebay and chortled at the Finder Precocious basses, I'm sure!) or variance (is it 5string or 5 string? Or strings? Or Five?)
I think most on here are either fairly knowledgeable about their gear, or at least interested enough to learn from others.
[/quote]

But, if the seller can't be arsed to read what's clearly printed on the headstock, are they going to get my address right?

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1430048567' post='2757386']
But, if the seller can't be arsed to read what's clearly printed on the headstock, are they going to get my address right?
[/quote]
Henc eth ementio no fvariance.
You're in with a far better chance on BC than the 'bay!

[quote name='bassface2k10' timestamp='1429952300' post='2756577']
Is there any chance that the ‘basses for sale’ section on the forum could be split into sub sections, for example

Fender
Warwick
Ibanez
Lakland
Sandberg
Custom
and so one

This would make the section a lot easier to navigate, It'll be easier to locate a bass the user may be looking for, reduce the need for sellers to bump their adverts every few days (which sometimes are off the 1st page within hours), and finally lightening the load on your database :-)

Good idea?
[/quote]

I personally would not like it.
I like to be able to browse in one place alone.

If you are interested in a particular make or model, you can use the search function within that subforum and it will bring out only the relevant ones.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1429953486' post='2756592']
If there is sub sections, i would rather it be done on price. 0-£500, £501-£1000, £1001-£1500,£1501-£50000 for example. If you divide all the basses into Fenders, etc, then you could miss a bargain that you hadn`t originally thought about,
[/quote]

actually, a search function that would allow you to search by price would be nice!

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1429997282' post='2757107']
I always think one of the nice things about the for sale section is that you can browse around and might come across something interesting you'd not normally spot.

Subdividing would take this away and the section could get a bit boring. I think it would hurt sales numbers too.
[/quote] this - you start looking for a fender jazz to replace your squier- and before you know it you've gone through sandberg, sadowsky,valenti and are just putting the deposit down on your sei custom jazz.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1429960221' post='2756697']
It's also possible that you might have CGAS - Confused GAS - you're looking for one brand when another jumps out at you!
[/quote]

or a variant: sometimes you may be looking for a Precision, but it does not need to be a Fender...

[quote name='bassface2k10' timestamp='1429963136' post='2756732']
A little bit of digging around threw up this extension [url="http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/4037-classifieds/?page=2"]http://community.inv...sifieds/?page=2[/url]
and this as an example of it in action, parts are ugley but not beyond some hacking of the CSS :-) [url="https://www.pro-bike.ro/forums/classifieds/category/14-motocross-trial/?sort_key=price&sort_order=desc"]https://www.pro-bike...sort_order=desc[/url]
[/quote]

I have to say I like the look of that... well, the idea of the look (picture, price, blurb, all at one glance), that particular example is pretty ugly ;)

edit: on further thought... no, I like it better as it is already

Edited by mcnach

I'd like the marketplace sub-forums divided up into manufacturer, type, colour, board type, scratchplate, number of strings, geographical location down to ward level and price bands in £10 increments. Example:

[b]Forum[/b]:

[size=3][i]Fender[/i] / Jazz / [i]Natural[/i] / RW / [i]Blk[/i] / 4st / [i]England / [/i]South Midlands[i] / [/i] [i]Oxfordshire[/i] / North Oxfordshire / [i]Banbury [/i]/ BA15 / [i]Shenington with Alkerton[/i] / £500-£510[/size]

The benefit of this approach is that it would make things much easier for me and more difficult for everyone else. That's right. I said it.

I am not fussed about any more sub-divisions but am a fan of having a minimum number of posts elsewhere on a forum before you can sell am item. There has only been one apparent fraud since I joined (was it?) but it may help minimise the risk. On a camera forum I belonged to some time ago you had to have 300 posts before you could sell. If I recall correctly there was no minimum for buying.

[quote name='ianrendall' timestamp='1430133291' post='2758189']
I do think that the 'Other musically related items for sale' section could do with dividing. Perhaps in to an electronics section and a hardware section?
[/quote]

I like the bazaar style of it now.

When I was little and I had 25 pesetas, I'd run to the tiny sweet store looking at all the goodies "... and 3 of those, and... 1 of these, oh and two more of the vampire cola fizzy fangs! and..." :)
Now, if I have a few £ burning a hole in my pocket, I open a tab for the 'Other musically related items for sale', and see if something inspires me.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1430158428' post='2758521']

I like the bazaar style of it now.

When I was little and I had 25 pesetas, I'd run to the tiny sweet store looking at all the goodies "... and 3 of those, and... 1 of these, oh and two more of the vampire cola fizzy fangs! and..." :)
Now, if I have a few £ burning a hole in my pocket, I open a tab for the 'Other musically related items for sale', and see if something inspires me.
[/quote]
You have a point. There should be a music stand category though.