Why become a member? ×

Singers ruin everything

Cameronj279

This is an observation that a lot of people made about me and it's true now that I think about it. This was spurred on recently by finding a great song (instrumentally) where the vocalist completely ruined it (screaming all over a funk song!?)

There are so many artists/bands/groups that have amazing songs musically but I get so put off by bad vocalist that struggle to overlook it in favour of the music. If a guitarist does a melody or a line I don't like I find it easy enough to ignore and focus on other parts of the song but weirdly not the vocals.

Just me?

Save for a few "Stones" songs (I so dislike his voice but it fits what they're doing), I really can't think of any song where a vocalist has ruined a song for me. Any specifics? In truth, most of my favorite songs were sung by folks with quite "imperfect voices." But, it is the imperfections in their voices that make the listening experience so special. Since my voice is so "imperfect" it gives me hope. It's only when I hear someone with a voice like Josh Groban that I want to retire my own microphone. lol

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1429889946' post='2756081']
Maybe you mean bad singers ruin everything!
[/quote]

Definitely. Did it come across as all singers?

There are a few singers I love but majority of them I can take or leave if I'm brutally honest. There are certainly some great singers (technically speaking) who's voice I can't stand.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1429892615' post='2756127']
Do you mean bad vocals or bad frontman?
IMO some of the greatest bands have singers who arent always the best melodically. Ozzy, Brian Johnson, Lemmy, Johnny Rotten to name but a few
[/quote]

Bad vocals/choice of melodies/phrasing etc

Some " bad singers" are among the best ever vocalists! Look at Jimmy Hendrix, Bob Dylan among others. As long as a singer has character to his or her voice, then its ok , certainly by me. In my humble opinion, there is nothing worse than a singer who ruins a song by over doing it, a la Mary J Bilge on that U2 song. Come to think of it, Bonio tends to do a bit of that himself!

[quote name='Johnm93' timestamp='1429896814' post='2756175']
No one in Pink Floyd can actually 'sing'...

For example....
[/quote]

Oooerrr.... I think Dave Gilmour has a fine voice, especially in harmony with Richard Wright. Roger Waters on the other hand...

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1429893089' post='2756136']
Some " bad singers" are among the best ever vocalists! Look at Jimmy Hendrix, Bob Dylan among others. As long as a singer has character to his or her voice, then its ok , certainly by me. In my humble opinion, there is nothing worse than a singer who ruins a song by over doing it, a la Mary J Bilge on that U2 song. Come to think of it, Bonio tends to do a bit of that himself!
[/quote]i think Bono operates on the limit of it. I really like his singing! Horses for courses!

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1429899162' post='2756212']
Muse do it for me, like their music, can't stand his voice for more than two songs. He is,without doubt, a decent ,quite original singer, just sets my teeth on edge.
[/quote]
yeah it's all that breathing in hiccuping bollocks that does me in.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1429901969' post='2756258']
Perry Farrell? Though I like his voice anyway.
[/quote]

Good example.

I don't like The Killers, but Brandon Flowers has a voice that made me want to puncture my eardrums with a fork.

Jose Gonzalez? Really like his music.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1429901969' post='2756258']
Perry Farrell? Though I like his voice anyway.
[/quote]

Aaagh no. Only a couple of songs. I'm still traumatised by the experience of seeing him at the Astoria . He was carried out aost nude, eating grapes while being carried by roadies (?) . Way too camp for me . I left 2 mins later