Why become a member? ×

Anyone ever bought 'B stock' from Thomann ?

ambient

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1428024561' post='2737253']
tbh if it was me i'd save the £25 then if it dies within 3 years thomann sort it out if it dies after 3 years i don't know of many
shops that would offer a warranty longer
[/quote]

That's what I'm thinking too 😊

I got two B-stock pedals from them recently. The knobs were all scratched up one but it didn't bother me. The other was mint but I wanted to return it as I didn't like the sound, and was pleasantly surprised to find they arranged free shipping back to Germany.

Contrast that with another pedal I wanted to return to Guitar Guitar in the UK, I was expected to fork out for return shipping.

I also wanted to return a TH500 to another UK shop last year as I couldn't put up with the fan noise. They wanted to charge me a restocking fee (which I managed to argue my way out of) as well as return shipping.

I'd have no qualms ordering B-stock from somewhere with a returns policy as generous as Thomann's.

Edited by dannybuoy

B stock does include items that people returned because it didn't suit them and its not always faulty returned items.

For me i would rather have piece of mind for sake of £25.

Thomann are great at covering cost of returned items and never seem to quibble but the exchange rate or using your Visa card will mean additional costs that they don't cover. Keep that in mind when buying from Europe.

I can however highly recommend Thomann. They offer excellent prices and great support and customer services.
GAK also have a price match system that covers european price match altho they will come back and offer a further reduction because they can't match Thomann completely. That means they will be about even in total if you remove Thomann visa or exchange rate costs.

Bit long winded there but hope it helps.

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1428044232' post='2737297']
the exchange rate or using your Visa card will mean additional costs that they don't cover. Keep that in mind when buying from Europe.
[/quote]

Only if you use the wrong payment method. Not all Visa cards charge you and not all banks sting you on the exchange rate.

I've got a Halifax Clarity Card. No fees on foreign currency transactions, get the bank exchange rate. About as good as it gets for foreign currency purchases.

Agreed, I'd want a bit more off for something that someone else has had their greasy mitts on. On the other hand, the small reduction probably reflects that there's nothing wrong with it other than having been in a courier's van for a while.

I've only bought from Thomann once. And it was a B-stock. And it had a faulty preamp PCB. And it took nearly 2 months to get repaired!

Not really anybody's fault, and they did cover the costs as it came with a 3 year warranty. Plus I paid about £100 less than I'd seen it anywhere else so I shouldn't complain too much, it just really annoyed me! It's had the part replaced now anyways and works perfectly :)

Edited by chrismuzz

I bought a small active monitor from Thomann last year as B stock. As it turned out, the monitor had a problem as the sound kept cutting out - so Thomann took it back and gave me a re-fund without any problem. I then bought the "A" stock version of the same item.

Sending stuff back to Thomann (if necessary) is easy and at no cost if the item is faulty.

As they say "B Stock may show traces of use". That can be little or something more and for the slight reduction you pays your money.... Yes, you can always send it back ( and I have done) but rarely quicker than 10 days total turnaround. I had a B Stock PJ Bass which had sustained other damage in postage so sent it back.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1428048592' post='2737350'] Only if you use the wrong payment method. Not all Visa cards charge you and not all banks sting you on the exchange rate. I've got a Halifax Clarity Card. No fees on foreign currency transactions, get the bank exchange rate. About as good as it gets for foreign currency purchases. [/quote]

Wasn't aware of that. ?
cheers
Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1428132596' post='2738278']

Wasn't aware of that. ?
cheers
Dave
[/quote]

Clarity card is excellent for any kind of foreign currency transaction. You can even use it to withdraw cash from an atm whilst on holiday without incurring fees.

Other banks also so similar things, I think moneysupermarket has a guide.