Why become a member? ×

Your Stones, Got My Tickets :)

blue

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1427982124' post='2736663']

The Hyde Park gig wasn't exactly their finest hour. Mick Taylor was probably wondering if Mayall would have him back.
[/quote]

It's never been real clear to me why Taylor accepted their offer in the first place.

Blue

Mick Taylor was being booted out of JM's band so he had to go somewhere. Not such a bad choice for an out of work musician.

I've seen the Stones four times. At the Greenford Odeon in about 64ish, twice at Earls Court in 76 and the O2, at the end of their last tour. All great gigs and a spread of about 45 years.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1427973348' post='2736469']
[size=4]

Hmm... Sounds familiar...

[i][color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]They took all the [s]trees[/s] Stones [/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Put 'em in a [s]tree[/s] Stones museum * [/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]And they charged the people [/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A [s]dollar and a half[/s] heck of a lot just to see 'em [/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Don't it always seem to go [/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]That you don't know what you've got [/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Till it's gone [/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]They paved paradise [/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]And put up a parking lot[/font][/color][/i]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][color=#333333]I was witness to the famous 'Brian Jones' butterfly massacre, all those decades ago, and well remember leaving, with my friends, well before the end of the interminable 'Sympathy for the Devil'. It was quite shocking; doubly so as the supporting acts were blindingly brilliant. Special mention for King Crimson, who completely stole the show and put the 'best r&r group in the world' to utter shame. No, I've never been a mega-fan, although they got off to a good enough start with 'Aftermath' and such, but they lost their way for me soon after that. As for ticket prices of that astronomic level, I wouldn't pay half of that even for the Grateful Dead resuscitated..! Anyone that wants to is free to do so, of course, but as far as I'm concerned, it's more than a rip-off, it's borderline immoral.[/color][/font]
[color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]That said, good luck with fulfilling your dreams; I sincerely hope you're not disappointed.[/font][/color][/size]
[/quote]

I'm their biggest fan,if they merely walked on stage and said hello, I'd be thrilled.

The ticket price is way out of my league, however at this point in my life I can't think of a better way to spend $450.00. In some ways I think it's a bargain.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1427956939' post='2736186']
Isn't it odd, I can't stand them - or Hendrix, just so you can hate me more :-)
[/quote]
Not just you. Going to a Stones gig would be my idea of a night in Hell. I loathe everything about them (except Munch).

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1427989485' post='2736772']
I can't think of a better way to spend $450.00.[/quote]
I'm struggling to think of a worse one. Ah well, [i]vive le difference[/i] as they say in Putney. :)

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1427956939' post='2736186']
Isn't it odd, I can't stand them - or Hendrix, just so you can hate me more :-)
[/quote]

Same here. I can't stand anything bluesy, doesn't connect with me on any level & bores me to tears.

Actually, I'm a blues player through and through. It's not that at all, I just don't really rate either of them.

ironically, when I was a Pretty Thing, I had a VIP pass to Wembley Stadium (about 92 or so) but was still totally underwhelmed. This was just after Wyman left and we tried to persuade Dick (Taylor) to ask for his old job back.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1427989485' post='2736772']
I'm their biggest fan,if they merely walked on stage and said hello, I'd be thrilled.

The ticket price is way out of my league, however at this point in my life I can't think of a better way to spend $450.00. In some ways I think it's a bargain.

Blue
[/quote]

Isn't it funny how, whilst being such a 'small world', folks can be 'worlds apart'..? Strange times, on a strange planet. No, it's not you; it's me, quite certainly, somewhat out of step, or, to be completely honest, rather completely out of kilter with many modern notions. Never mind; enjoy the show, and all the following ones... B)

Whether people like them or not, they are a one of the most iconic bands around. They could give a flawless performance, and people would still find something to moan about. I would go for it Blue, as the memories you will get, and an ambition fulfilled is worth more than money. Don`t listen to these sad sacks :P

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1427990620' post='2736813']
Isn't it funny how, whilst being such a 'small world', folks can be 'worlds apart'..? Strange times, on a strange planet. No, it's not you; it's me, quite certainly, somewhat out of step, or, to be completely honest, rather completely out of kilter with many modern notions. Never mind; enjoy the show, and all the following ones... B)
[/quote]

I don't know about [i]"worlds apart".[/i]

I think some of it, for me was just good old fashion marketing. The Stones presented their product to me in 1964 when I was 10 years old. They sold me and I've been a loyal customer ever since..

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1427993070' post='2736849']
I don't know about [i]"worlds apart".[/i]

I think some of it, for me was just good old fashion marketing. The Stones presented their product to me in 1964 when I was 10 years old. They sold me and I've been a loyal customer ever since..

Blue
[/quote]

A very credible explanation, indeed. B)

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1427992221' post='2736836']
Whether people like them or not, they are a one of the most iconic bands around. They could give a flawless performance, and people would still find something to moan about. I would go for it Blue, as the memories you will get, and an ambition fulfilled is worth more than money. Don`t listen to these sad sacks :P
[/quote]

Yeah, The Stones didn't sell everyone, but they sold me 50 years ago. And unlike some others, they have never cheated me.

To me they epitomize everything a rock & roll band is suppose to be. IMO they are one of the few true rock & roll experiences left on the planet.

I still see them through the eyes of a 10 year old lad. :)

blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1427927056' post='2736079']Outside of Paul McCartney, I can think of any other existing British bands with the magnitude of their body of work or legacy, IMO. And now that I think about it, Paul is not a band.

Blue
[/quote]
I've seen them only once on the "No Security" tour at Edinburgh's Murrayfield stadium, the rehashed tail end of the "Bridges" tour. Tickets were £65 & I went at 9:00 am to get a good spot, there was only one other guy waiting at that time :D . I would have loved to have seen them on one of the smaller gigs they recorded for "Stripped"
Hours later the gates opened and we ran to the very front. Minutes after starting Mick Jagger ran along the front row doing hand shakes/slaps, while Keef prowled the stage about 10ft in front of me, grinning like an ape the whole time, so so cool. One of the best gigs I ever saw.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1427995731' post='2736905']
I've seen them only once on the "No Security" tour at Edinburgh's Murrayfield stadium, the rehashed tail end of the "Bridges" tour. Tickets were £65 & I went at 9:00 am to get a good spot, there was only one other guy waiting at that time :D . I would have loved to have seen them on one of the smaller gigs they recorded for "Stripped"
Hours later the gates opened and we ran to the very front. Minutes after starting Mick Jagger ran along the front row doing hand shakes/slaps, while Keef prowled the stage about 10ft in front of me, grinning like an ape the whole time, so so cool. One of the best gigs I ever saw.
[/quote]

Cool Story,

Was the [i]"No Security"[/i] show in 2005? Because I think saw The Stone in Milwaukee that year and I think it was the same tour.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1428005850' post='2737054']Was the [i]"No Security"[/i] show in 2005? Because I think saw The Stone in Milwaukee that year and I think it was the same tour.

Blue
[/quote]

No Blue, it was 1999. IIRC the story was that if they'd finished the "Bridges To Babylon" tour as planned, they'd have been in the UK long enough to pay tax & Mick didn't want that. That was the story I was told when the gig was postponed, but the tickets were still valid for the new gig a few months - and a new tax year later.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1427962143' post='2736256']
Never the same since Wyman left. :(
[/quote]

Yup. Any footage of them, the best bit is always Watts and Wyman at the back, grinning at each other, just getting it done while the frontmen ponce about trying to pull :D

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1428013300' post='2737188']
Yup. Any footage of them, the best bit is always Watts and Wyman at the back, grinning at each other, just getting it done while the frontmen ponce about trying to pull :D
[/quote]

I think Daryl Jones is a sideman. Technically Bill is still the bass player and I would think would have at least Director status as well as compensation in their organization.

Blue

Edited by blue

I was in a Stones tribute band for a couple of years, so I spent hours watching every Stones DVD I could get hold of, copping Keef's licks and learning his stage moves.

Hope you get your tickets Blue, and enjoy the show!

I saw them in 95 on the voodoo lounge tour. My girlfriend at the time and I exited the tube station at Wembley to see the stage (a giant metal cobra) sticking out the stadium, and realised our gate was the other end. A long wait ensued, but when the place was opened it was empty. Geoff Hurst didn't do a length of the field as quick as we did. Great gig, lots of bands can rock but they can roll.

I saw them twice in the 70's (including Earls Court with The Meters) and also in the 80's. Still some of the best gigs I have ever been to, and even now think they can still do it, albeit in a rather more ermm...mature way.
I always think the Stones 'magic' is that thing of the songs / playing / band chemistry as a whole, and perhaps the reason some people don't get it is because they are looking for technical virtuosity and 'flash', which the Stones have never been about. Having said that, Keith and Charlie are two of my favourite ever players, and their loose groove makes the band sound like no other. Often imitated, never bettered.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1427993070' post='2736849']
I think some of it, for me was just good old fashion marketing. The Stones presented their product to me in 1964 when I was 10 years old. They sold me and I've been a loyal customer ever since..[/quote]

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1427993524' post='2736861']
Yeah, The Stones didn't sell everyone, but they sold me 50 years ago. And unlike some others, they have never cheated me.

To me they epitomize everything a rock & roll band is suppose to be. IMO they are one of the few true rock & roll experiences left on the planet.

I still see them through the eyes of a 10 year old lad. :)

blue
[/quote]

You sell it so well bud, good luck for getting your tickets.

I've going out in the car in a while - guess what I'm gonna be playing? Stones all the way baby. Love them.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1428042202' post='2737285']
Interesting point about Jagger's tax arrangements; happy to reside abroad for tax breaks but happy to take your ticket money when he's here. But they're all the same, I shouldn't single him out.
[/quote]

I should stress that was only the story I was told when I called the ticket office when the gig was was postponed. Whether it was actually true or not I couldn't say. I know Keef still has Redlands but splits his time all over the world in various gaffs, whether that's for tax reasons :scratch_one-s_head: