Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine - Column about Basschat

Silvia Bluejay

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1442242710' post='2865429']

It's the Ziricote Wal... they sent someone round to review it a while ago and I got an email from Joel a couple of weeks back saying it would be in the next issue.

I'd be interested to see what they make of it, filter preamps take a bit of getting used to and the reviewer only had an hour or so with it.
[/quote]

Congrats Rob! I sure hope the reviewer knew how to use the controls, it sure took me longer than an hour to get used to it.

[quote name='mikeswals' timestamp='1442641670' post='2868360']

Congrats Rob! I sure hope the reviewer knew how to use the controls, it sure took me longer than an hour to get used to it.
[/quote]

It was Ellen O'Reilly they sent round to review it and it sounded like she had the hang of it after about five minutes... I think she liked it, to my ears it sounded unmistakably like a Wal. It sounded different to when I play it but that's because she is a far better player!

I feel a bit nervous to be honest... I know its silly but I genuinely care about this bass and really believe in what Paul is doing down in that tiny workshop in Cobham. I feel like I put something of myself into it having specced it and made various choices along the build process. I also sold all my other gear and waited a year and a half for it, so it's been a part of my life for a couple of years already and will continue to be so for the rest of my playing days.

Can't wait to see what they thought :)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1442643471' post='2868368']

... I know its silly but I genuinely care about this bass and really believe in what Paul is doing down in that tiny workshop in Cobham...

Can't wait to see what they thought :)
[/quote]

+1 from me on that count. Paul's done a great job bringing back the brand he cut his luthiers skills with from a very uncertain future. I don't recall seeing a previous Herman era review in a major mag so can't wait to read it!

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1442583484' post='2867995']
This.

Recycling content is as old as newspapers. Actually older, now that i think of the Old Testament. :)

Everybody is crazy for content atm and will take it from wherever. My big beef is about quality newspapers quoting tweets.
The BGM possibility opens up a whole new competitive arena for BC posters - who can get the most outrageous statements past Bluejay and into the mag. I'm going to try a secret code. :D
[/quote]

On the subject of recycling content I noticed an obvious Press Release from G&L in September's issue telling us about the new Tribute Series Active basses. They had not even converted it from $ to £... Helpful?

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1437907725' post='2829827']
I like the idea of an acoustic bass roundup. If you could herd them all into a corner or a pen it would be so much easier to make sure none escape the flamethrower
[/quote]Try that with mine at your peril :)

I think the basschat column is a great idea and I take my hat off to Sylvia for doing it :) but unfortunately for me it still don't feel the urge to by it just to read the BC column . it used to be a good read but I gave up reading it ages ago as it was just pretty much the same old stuff in it month in month out and so I gave up spending my hard earned cash on it (by the way how much is it nowadays?) really sorry if my comment seems negative as I know a lot of hard work goes in to the mag.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1443163669' post='2872678']
I got a lovely email from Paul at Wal yesterday evening regarding the review in this months BGM.

Despite a couple of inaccuracies in the review the overall vibe was positive and If Paul's happy so am I... he did make it afterall, I just ordered it!
[/quote]The inaccuracies are not the best advert for the mag and details are surely easily checked before print, but the fact that they liked your Wal must give you a nice warm glow. However, as a review, I found it a bit cursory, more details in the sound and playability department definitely required.

Not that I've ever seen a WAL advert in BGM, but unfortunately they cannot afford to upset Advertisers, so you never really see a review that is anything less than gentle in any criticism it may have. Having said that, a badly setup or made Bass should never be sent out for review anyway. Car Manufacturer's Press Fleets are specially prepared for that reason.

• 1 month later...