Why become a member? ×

NBD - Sire Marcus Miller V7 Alder-4 AWH *Audio*

discreet

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1428237944' post='2739427']
Let's hope they can keep up the quality without cutting corners.
[/quote]

Don't see why not if they're already geared up for it. I'd hope for an improvement if anything. What we don't want to see is a price hike, but as that's obviously a huge selling point... apparently there are still stocks of the white ash/maple 4, the white alder/rosewood 4 and the black alder/rosewood 4. Mind you, Thomann's stock availability indicator isn't always 100% reliable, I've found. :)

What I meat was that now the first lot have practically sold out they may find they need to ramp up production, and they might have to cut some of the love and attention the first lot had, just to keep up with demand.
Let's hope this is not the case of course, but it does happen.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1428240652' post='2739462']
What I meant was that now the first lot have practically sold out they may find they need to ramp up production, and they might have to cut some of the love and attention the first lot had, just to keep up with demand.
[/quote]

Ah, I get it. Well we can only wait and see what happens. Perhaps a good excuse to buy another, to see if there's any difference... ;)

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1428237944' post='2739427']

You snooze....You loose :-).

There is a message on the Sire website saying the next batch should be released in May I believe, but I'd expect later. It sounds like they may be slightly different, at least the 4 string bridge. Let's hope they can keep up the quality without cutting corners.
[/quote]
Well I've just put my order in for a white/tort 5er so I'm in the queue ;)

Edited by Raslee

[quote name='Mark Medlin' timestamp='1428842377' post='2745066']
...wonder if Sire will be able to resist hiking up the prices in the near future.
[/quote]

Not if their 'instruments for all' philosophy is true. Nevertheless I got mine early, just in case... ;)

I've been doing a little research on these Sire basses pver the last week, and have come to the conclusion that my next bass will probably be a V7. The very same one as this, in the same finish. I'm not a fan of white guitars/basses at all, but something about this one, with the tortoiseshell pickguard and the rosewood fretboard is just sexalicious. Paul Turner has a beautiful 1966 Fender Jazz and this is realistically the closest I will get to owning a bass that has those looks.

YouTube videos are few and far between, moreso ones with decent audio, but a guy called Brad Cummings does a quick review and the tone sounds bloody amazing. In the words of bass legend Abraham Lincoln - "I got to get me one o'these."*

*quote and surrounding facts may be entirely made up.

i got my v7 last week had to tweak action as neck was a bit too straight now has a nice low action and it really feels like a quality bass and the sound is really smooth and effortless.
i dont play slap but i think this bass is versatile enough to cover most styles im very impressed.

[quote name='stu_g' timestamp='1428998883' post='2746745']
...i dont play slap but i think this bass is versatile enough to cover most styles im very impressed.
[/quote]

Very good! It's easy to imagine this bass sounding great in a jazz/funk/R&B context... however, I'm doing a gig with mine tomorrow night so we'll see how it copes in a rock/indie environment...

[quote name='Bass Pedal Geek' timestamp='1429062350' post='2747633']
Sounds like a great bass! Must remind self that I don't *need* another bass... ;-)
[/quote]
I tried that! It was the not ordering it bit I forgot about though! Still, when it turned up I really liked it so I'm glad I don't take any notice of myself. 😀

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1429005141' post='2746830']

Very good! It's easy to imagine this bass sounding great in a jazz/funk/R&B context... however, I'm doing a gig with mine tomorrow night so we'll see how it copes in a rock/indie environment...
[/quote]

I thought it did the job very well and had a nice sound with a bit of mid range growl.....i liked it.

Rec'd my white, alder V7 with rosewood board today...... and......

WOW....
Straight out of the box it sounded bold and resonant unplugged which is always a good sign! Then I plugged it in and instant even tones rang out with plenty of punch where required.....

THEN I flicked the active switch......... and had to go and lie down.....

;)

Edited by cetera

[quote name='cetera' timestamp='1429215737' post='2749425']
Rec'd my white, alder V7 with rosewood board today...... and......

WOW....
Straight out of the box it sounded bold and resonant unplugged which is always a good sign! Then I plugged it in and instant even tones rang out with plenty of punch where required.....

THEN I flicked the active switch......... and had to go and lie down.....

;)
[/quote]

You don't like it do you :D

[quote name='cetera' timestamp='1429215737' post='2749425']
WOW....
Straight out of the box it sounded bold and resonant unplugged which is always a good sign! Then I plugged it in and instant even tones rang out with plenty of punch where required...
THEN I flicked the active switch... and had to go and lie down...
[/quote]

Those are very positive comments indeed from a [s]fussy bugger like you[/s] discerning bass guitar aficionado such as yourself! ;)
Seriously though, can you see how the V7 circuit put me in mind of the TonePump?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1429138307' post='2748527']
I thought it did the job very well and had a nice sound with a bit of mid range growl.....i liked it.
[/quote]

Thank you, sir... [url="http://www.mediafire.com/listen/2etec8s3kxniqi2/Civilisation.mp3"]here[/url] is a recording of our opening number taken from the desk at last night's gig - it's a bit rough all round, but hopefully you can hear the lovely warm bounce it has... I wasn't sure it would be suitable for rock/indie/blues-type music, but it is, in my opinion. Though you can't quite EQ out the very last of Marcus, so it still has a trace of that Jazz growl in it! :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1429219732' post='2749496']

Thank you, sir... [url="http://www.mediafire.com/listen/2etec8s3kxniqi2/Civilisation.mp3"]here[/url] is a recording of our opening number taken from the desk at last night's gig - it's a bit rough all round, but hopefully you can hear the lovely warm bounce it has... I wasn't sure it would be suitable for rock/indie/blues-type music, but it is, in my opinion. Though you can't quite EQ out the very last of Marcus, so it still has a trace of that Jazz growl in it! :)
[/quote]

Nicely done! Great to hear it in a true gigging context. Held it's place in the mix with authority there.
Very Marcus the bass may be but I can hear the tone you have there would be killer for a Led Zep Heartbreaker kinda vibe also.
I'm just going to have to sit this out until later on this year and see how the Sire story unfolds.
If the second batch matches up to this first run and the price stays the same then it's looking pretty inevitable that I'll be having one of the fivers.
(Just having a career change, looking for work, blah blah blah..)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1429218680' post='2749479']
Those are very positive comments indeed from a [s]fussy bugger like you[/s] discerning bass guitar aficionado such as yourself! ;)
Seriously though, can you see how the V7 circuit put me in mind of the TonePump?
[/quote]

How very dare you?!?!! ;)
Yep, the active circuit certainly has that same amazing boost (& cut) capability!