Why become a member? ×

Is there something wrong with me.?

bubinga5

Ive been in a band for the last 6 months called Michigan Avenue. we play rock blues type stuff. thing is its just not inspiring me.. I'm not sure if I'm just indoctrinated to soul and funk or the music just isn't that good. the real feeling i get is that the music just doesn't inspire me to play. sometimes it does with certain songs, but only in parts. maybe I'm answering my own question.

the band is drums, guitar x 2 and bass. i tried to introduce this guy who is a keys master, and i got a 'no, not now maybe later".

i just want some chords behind the music. I'm talking Billy Preston type stuff.

can you girls/guys play music that your not really into..?

put it this way i would rather play covers all night of chic than play the original music that this band has.

Edited by bubinga5

Maybe it's just the standard of the original music that's concerning you. Just because it's original music doesn't mean it's good. I reckon if you were in a band that was writing great songs, you would be loving it. I hope things get better mate ;)

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1426953008' post='2723944']
Ive been in a band for the last 6 months called Michigan Avenue. we play rock blues type stuff. thing is its just not inspiring me.. I'm not sure if I'm just indoctrinated to soul and funk or the music just isn't that good. the real feeling i get is that the music just doesn't inspire me to play. sometimes it does with certain songs, but only in parts. maybe I'm answering my own question.

the band is drums, guitar x 2 and bass. i tried to introduce this guy who is a keys master, and i got a 'no, not now maybe later".

can you girls/guys play music that your not really into..?[/quote]

Yes and I do, If I restricted myself to music I'm into I would never have gigs. I'm in this for money, not what I'm into.

If your band is gigging and you like gigging I would say, ride it out. If your not a gigging guy, I would seek out a project where you can play the stuff your into. I say that only because in many cases the music we like might not have a local market.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1426955474' post='2723998']
No, absolutely not.

I'd rather not play at all than play music I don't like.
[/quote]

I think this is why we never get to see a lot of talented musicians.

The most talented musicians I know don't gig or play in bands because they will only play music/genres they personally like. And they are all on the progressive side of things and as you can guess, there's no market for that at the local level.

Blue

Edited by blue

can you girls/guys play music that your not really into..?

put it this way i would rather play covers all night of chic than play the original music that this band has.
[/quote]

First off, always make it a good band... and that can take you a long way into less interesting music but
I also want keys and gtrs who have empathy with keys...
The best way to do this is pick the players YOU want in the band... it doesn't mean it is your band
but it does tend to mean you are the direction driver..

Form another band with the keys..and build from there. If two bands are too much then the least inspiring
will be the one to ditch at some point..??

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1426958972' post='2724092']
If it pays and think of the money ,just grin and bare it put your own twist on the bass lines that what I do and they don't notice
[/quote]

That's what I say, never give up a paying gig until you have something better nailed down. If money is of no consequence to you, then it might be time to move onto something you like and enjoy playing.

Blue

Bin it, and move on. I seriously doubt that original rock/blues is making a whole lot of money (money doesn't tend to be why people do original stuff) so find yourself a band - or better yet, start your own project - that plays music that means something to you.

I always assumed from your posts that you're more of a soul/funk player so I can see why you wouldn't enjoy playing guitar rock.

Jon.

I was in a band a few years ago that played all original material, it was brit pop/mod rock, not my sort of thing at all.

However I needed to be in a gigging band at the time. I got on really well with the other members and because of that and that the band was really tight, I grew to like the music.

If the music is not doing for you then there has to be some other incentive to be there.

... I'm not sure if I'm just indoctrinated to soul and funk or the music just isn't that good. the real feeling i get is that the music just doesn't inspire me to play. sometimes it does with certain songs, but only in parts. maybe I'm answering my own question.

[/quote]

You need to identify which tunes are inspiring you and why.

Maybe it's tunes that the rhythm guitarist is playing sustained chords under. Something that frees you up a bit. Maybe it's what the drummer is doing.

Two guitars and a keys player? Good luck with that! I played in a band with two guitarists I 'had' to make changes to what they were playing. Often they were doubling up but not good enough to be even close to each other. It sounded awful and pointless.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1426963837' post='2724186']
the thing is where i live its very limited as to what genres/bands are available, especially the music i like. i want to keep playing, and thats why i do it.
[/quote]

Unless you like bedroom playing, I'd stay with it until something that's a better match for you is available and realistic. And it will happen, maybe sooner than you think.

blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1426964212' post='2724191']

Unless you like bedroom playing, I'd stay with it until something that's a better match for you is available and realistic. And it will happen, maybe sooner than you think.

blue
[/quote]
+1

I would say that is a sensible approach to the situation...

I consider myself a funky type player and my main influences are Pino and flea...so why i am in a heavy rock band covering the likes of Iron Maiden and Guns and Roses?! I guess the lads in this band are a really good bunch and its the challenge of playing something out of my comfort zone. I do put my influences into these basslines which tend to add a little twist and enjoyment for me to play the tracks. We are really busy on the gigging side of things and have been asked to do several local festivals so i think its safe for me to say it seems to be working.I do get praise for my bass playing which i find encouraging that in turn inspires me to carry on the way i'm doing things.
If i wasnt enjoying it or found i was getting bored i would leave the band and in your situation i would either add my own feel to the basslines and make them my own or look for another venture. We dont earn a great deal from our gigs its just a bit of pocket money that covers the costs and a few beers. Playing and enjoying what you do has got to be a main factor to be in any band.
I think you know deep down this band isnt for you but only you can decide your own fate so make it happen.

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1426966642' post='2724259']
I'm too much of a miserable gig to play music I don't like anymore!

The result being that I've given up on bands and gigging altogether.
[/quote]

How many positive band experiences have you had?

Blue

Whenever I read threads like this, I'm always reminded of the drummer Mark Mondesir. I was at a workshop of his and he said he always got asked what he most liked to play - jazz or funk or rock or fusion etc and he always replied that he most liked to play drums.