Why become a member? ×

Best passive bass for less than £750 & less than £200

ead

Just wondering what the thoughts of the BC hive mind are on this. I've been increasingly thinking of something along these lines, whether a 'value' item or something within the budget. For my simple brain a 4-string or maybe a fiver.

Mine was a limelight p with a jazz neck.
I've disliked P basses since I started playing.
I've always used an active.

What a turnaround. I'm not saying all the non fender shaped or active basses are going but blimey it was an eye opener !

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1426345186' post='2717172']
New or secondhand?
[/quote]

New or used, not bothered really.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1426345850' post='2717182']
erm, less than £200?
[/quote]

I've seen a few nice looking Peavey and Yamaha basses for less than £200 or so.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1426351217' post='2717241']

I've seen a few nice looking Peavey and Yamaha basses for less than £200 or so.
[/quote]

Yes, and there are a couple of Yamahas for under £150 out there at the moment. I was just confused by your thread title - I thought you were trying to say "between 200 and 750".

Depends what you're looking for, I suppose, when there's so much variety available these days. For less than £750, I still think the Schecter Model T is a fantastic bass (the Diamond series are quite well-regarded in general, I believe).

Less than £200 is a bit of a trickier one - though I have tried a couple of Squier CVs and VMs in guitar shops and generally been quite impressed.

hamfist

[color=#000000][color=#224A68][size=6][color=#000000]BRAW[/color][/size][/color], [color=#224A68][size=6]Bra'[/size][/color], [color=#224A68][size=6]Braa[/size][/color], [color=#224A68][size=6]Bragh[/size][/color], [i]adj[/i]. and [i]adv[/i]. [i]Cf[/i]. also [url="http://www.dsl.ac.uk/entry/snd/brave"]Brave[/url].[brɑ: + a: I.Sc., n.Sc.; br: em.Sc., wm.Sc.; brɒ: sm.Sc., s.Sc.][/color]
[color=#000000][b]1[/b]. [i]adj[/i].[/color]
[color=#000000](1) ([i]a[/i]) Of things: fine, splendid, illustrious; also used ironically. Gen.Sc.[/color]
[color=#000000]([i]b[/i]) Of persons: worthy; in slightly familiar usage. Gen.Sc.[/color]
[color=#000000](2) Handsome, of fine physique; “stout, able-bodied, fit for warfare” (Sc. 1825 Jam.[size=1]2[/size]). Gen.Sc.[/color]
[color=#000000](3) Well or gaily dressed; fine, as applied to clothes. Gen.Sc.[/color]
[color=#000000](4) Pleasant, often as applied to the weather. Gen.Sc.[/color]
[color=#000000](5) “Very good, surpassing in whatever respect” (Sc. 1825 Jam.[size=1]2[/size]). Gen.Sc.[/color]

Edited by kodiakblair

If secondhand & less than £200, I'd suggest a Farida (jazz or precision type), one of the older designs not the new ones that have just been introduced.
They crop up fairly frequently for less than your limit. I've got a natural ash jazz type - blown away by it!

Edited by nick

Sorry if I'm causing confusion. The two price thing was meant to be a "what you you recommend for £200 or less?" Plus "what would recommend if your budget was up to £750?"

Hope that clears it up.

Having just acquired my first Yamaha BB414 for well under £200 I would have to join the queue to recommend one of those. Very impressed with what you get for the money, especially the tone which has depth and character way above the price point.

My other sub-£200 bargain buy recently was a Danelectro Longhorn. Uber-cool querky looks - not everybodies cup of tea perhaps - and an amazing range of tones. Featherlight and shortscale, I could comfortably play it for hours on end! There's a passable Jazz bass sound waiting to come out but also a rather unique Danelectro tone in the sweet spot that I just love. I gigged with it on Friday for the first time and, unusually, had people come up to me afterwards asking about it.

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1426412148' post='2717663']
My other sub-£200 bargain buy recently was a Danelectro Longhorn. Uber-cool querky looks - not everybodies cup of tea perhaps - and an amazing range of tones. Featherlight and shortscale, I could comfortably play it for hours on end! There's a passable Jazz bass sound waiting to come out but also a rather unique Danelectro tone in the sweet spot that I just love. I gigged with it on Friday for the first time and, unusually, had people come up to me afterwards asking about it.
[/quote]

Whoa, you got a Longhorn for less than £200?! Congratulations! :jealous: :gas:

At less than £200, passive, and second hand, I find hard not to recommend the good old Westone Thunder 1. You'll get one second hand, you'll have a smile on your face when you play it, and you'll have enough cash left over for a meal on the way to collect it AND on the way back :)

I think these are a seriously good bargain for a little over your £200 limit right now - a Tanglewater Classic Jazz:
http://www.kennysmusic.co.uk/overwater-by-tanglewood-classic-jazz-candy-apple-red

You could do what I've done and swap out the stock circuit for one of Kiogon's looms at a later date and you've got a fantastic sounding and playing bass for not much money at all. The new loom especially elevates it to something considerably better than a simple back-up.