Why become a member? ×

How do i find a guitarist?.

Twincam

With recent improvements in my playing i have refined and made a few little tunes/riffs etc etc that i feel are fairly decent nothing to complicated but things i feel have some potential. I always have little ideas.

Unfortunately everyone who i was jamming with is busy or not interested of late. I have kept my new ideas slightly guarded of late, but ive said to them i really think there is potential there, at the very least not to be rubbish and i want to explore these ideas, still no interest from friends which is a shame as in the past things have worked well just never got anything rolling, and now im starting to get a bit of playing ability no one cares lol.

So i need to find a guitarist but i have certain requirements. That they are understanding of my current abilities and wont expect to much from me at least in the beginning, basically i don't need hendrix coming in and leaving me behind.
That they have some sort of knowledge of music theory because im lacking there so it would be helpful that they could help flesh out ideas or that at least they are good at elaborating on ideas. That they have there own ideas too. Maybe someone even of similar experience to me as long as we work well together and act as sounding board for each other. Age, sex, appearance not important. Long as they are reliable and available. Broad range of musical taste would help too everything from the 50s to now.
Oh and to add must have some sort of ambition even just a little.

Is that too much to ask? how would i go about looking for this person and writing a wanted ad?. I'm totally clueless about this.

Oh yeah and i don't want any weirdo's im strange enough myself, someone fairly grounded would help even me out. I suppose i can suss people out myself anyhow.

Maybe head down to local jam/open mic nights and talk to people in person rather than advertising - you should be able to get a good sense of what they are like and also see what sort of level their playing is at. If they can be bothered to go to a jam night then they have an active interest in actually making music rather than just facebook/talking about it to seem cool.

I think think your requirements are reasonable. However, at the same time I opinion you are asking too much unless you are paying said guitarist. Just another little thing. Your clear on your requirements. How about the other side of the coin, what are you offering?

I agree with Subsonic, your requirement are going to come off a little more reasonable verbalizing them in person then they will in text.

Guys, again this is where knowing the OP's age would help. If he's a young guy ( under 25 ), finding another young guitarist with his approach might work. Young musicians are a lot more open minded and free spirited about their time and the type of projects they will engage.

If the OP is over 40, then attracting more older and more experienced players will usually be more of a challenge, IMO.

Blue

"How do I find a guitarist?"

Look for a massive ego and he should be hiding behind it somewhere.
Failing that shiney objects or a tin with dried peas in to shake should get their attention, oh hang on, that's for drummers I think, my mistake, go with the ego thing.

Have you recorded your tunes/riffs? Often easier to get people on board if you have...

After that, guitarists are ten a penny - open mic nights, joinmyband, gumtree; guitarists as far as the eye can see, just pick one that isn't too annoying.

:) Here's how to get off to a good start:
[list=1]
[*]Make a list of the 30 most popular covers band songs
[*]Learn the bass parts
[*]Place an ad for guitarist wanted
[*]Wait for one to reply
[*]Send them the list and arrange to meet up to play five of those songs
[*]See what happens next
[/list]

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1425904683' post='2711961']
Why don't you just join a band?
[/quote]

No i have thought about that and i really want the experience of getting something going myself from the very start. Even if it does not work out, i really want to go down that road. Pick my own people or have a major part in it anyhow.

Anyhow im going to hold off for a little bit, as have other things (good things) going on and want to make sure im better prepared to really give this a good shot. No noubt i will ask some advice on how to write a wanted ad soon.

Oh and too add i had a good laugh at the replies! :D

Edited by Twincam