Why become a member? ×

Control knobs don't stay on amp!

Jenny_Innie

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1425928251' post='2712426']
From a moderator? Really? Should I just quit here?
[/quote]

No.

You're on the inside, rather than the outside, and none of this is aimed at you in a sexual way. Just like many women, men also share a bit of coarse innuendo between themselves and here you're 'one of the lads' as far as that goes. I suspect Dad3353's video is just to show a bit of balance.

This is the internet and decorum and style go out of the window, however, I have to agree with Jennie on this. I see no need for innuendo in a thread started by a female. Nothing to do with anything other than, irrespective of medium, I would try to refrain from using that sort of comedy with a female I do not know. Perhaps I am just too old and fusty. Great close female friends and amongst the boys, yes, but here, no. This is my view and there is no expectation that this is right or wrong.

I`ve not seen anything directed at any females personally on this thread, but I do think once someone states they find comments/content uncomforable then we should just accept that, be it male or female, and leave it there. Not everyones sense of humour is the same, and likewise I`m sure if anyone really meant offence they would certainly make more specific insulting remarks than those that appear on the thread so far.

But the real question is, how do we know that Conan is old?

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1425915638' post='2712140']
It's called innuendo and double entendre, actually - but I take your point. Sorry you didn't like it, but if you spend a bit of time around Basschat you will see that this type of peurile "humour" is quite widespread. Many of us "old men" actually enjoy it.

Maybe "BassTeenGirlChat" would be more appealing to you? You seem to make quite a few disparaging remarks regarding the age and gender bias of the membership of this site after all.

Word.
[/quote]

You can't blame the lass for being pissed off with "old men" if that's your way of apologising- by then having a nasty dig at her with your patronising "Bassgirlteenchat" comment.

She said she was not happy with your "knob" comments: irrespective of anything she has allegedly posted elsewhere, that should have been it. An unqualified apology.

I do despair sometimes about what some think is OK on here.

Just as a reminder...
The standard procedure to be taken if any post is taken to be offensive, anywhere on the forum, is to use the 'Report' button, available on every post. This will receive the keen attention of the Mod team, and appropriate action will be taken. 'Reported' posts are taken very seriously by the Mods.

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1425928251' post='2712426']
From a moderator? Really? Should I just quit here?
[/quote]

Ofcourse not :)

If I had posted the same topic as this conan would have posted the same comment eventually :lol: try not to take it personally. When discussing in a thread try to imagine you are actually stood in a group of friends. If you were having the same conversation in person and the same joke came up I expect you would have either laughed or rolled your eyes and moved on and ignored it :)

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1425927350' post='2712395']
I just don't need it. If you're young and female, you go through a barrage of so called "puerile humour" everywhere you go. If you could walk in our shoes on a Friday night when you can't walk through a town centre without all kinds of lewd suggestions being hurled at you and disgusting people blocking your path unless you "go on give us a kiss" - you might understand. It means that I can't go out on my own at night without being scared. How would you feel? What about your first ever bass gig and constantly being told by drunks to get your **** out. That's puerile humour isn't it? It's really hard and has reduced me to tears a number of times.

If I provoke any sexual innuendo, then fair enough. But I don't.

Have a look at the following. This has a very familiar ring to it. Could be Bournemouth on a Saturday night. And then maybe people should think before they think puerile humour is appropriate.[/quote]

Jenny, I am sorry. That is a real apology. :blush:

I had no idea my silly comments would make you feel so bad and it was genuinely not my intention.

As others have said (not that I am hiding behind anyone else's words) this place can be like a cross between a workplace and a pub. People make off-the-cuff comments without really thinking about who is listening and how they will react. At other times, we know exactly how people will react, and deliberately seek that response. This was not one of those occasions.

I don't know you, and certainly try not to judge people by the way they present themselves on an online forum. I have two daughters and work on a predominantly female environment. Most of my friends are female. I say this not to defend my actions or try to paint an image of myself, but to give a little bit of context to my comments. My sense of "humour" is the same at home and at work as it is on here - and I have always been sensitive to the feelings of others. It is much easier in person of course, when one can see their response physically.

I would delete my comments, but I feel that would not be appropriate. It would also make the thread look strange and make subsequent comments seem random. They have also been quoted and I can't delete those.

I am also very sad that you have had to endure such awful experiences just because you are young and female :(

BTW, and just to end on a lighter note - maybe in future it might be safer to avoid thread titles that mention the word "knob"? :ph34r: :) It would just be a matter of time before someone makes reference to it... ;)

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1425942369' post='2712690']But the real question is, how do we know that Conan is old?
[/quote]

I certainly feel old.... but I was wondering that too! Do I exude the aroma of Wether's Originals? <_<

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1425973601' post='2712805']
I certainly feel old.... but I was wondering that too! Do I exude the aroma of Wether's Originals? <_<
[/quote]

No, it's the cardigan.

... And the slippers.

... And the Zimmer frame. :mellow:

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1425973214' post='2712803']

I had no idea my silly comments would make you feel so bad and it was genuinely not my intention.

As others have said (not that I am hiding behind anyone else's words) this place can be like a cross between a workplace and a pub. People make off-the-cuff comments without really thinking about who is listening and how they will react. At other times, we know exactly how people will react, and deliberately seek that response. This was not one of those occasions.

I don't know you, and certainly try not to judge people by the way they present themselves on an online forum. I have two daughters and work on a predominantly female environment. Most of my friends are female. I say this not to defend my actions or try to paint an image of myself, but to give a little bit of context to my comments. My sense of "humour" is the same at home and at work as it is on here - and I have always been sensitive to the feelings of others. It is much easier in person of course, when one can see their response physically.

I would delete my comments, but I feel that would not be appropriate. It would also make the thread look strange and make subsequent comments seem random. They have also been quoted and I can't delete those.

I am also very sad that you have had to endure such awful experiences just because you are young and female :(

BTW, and just to end on a lighter note - maybe in future it might be safer to avoid thread titles that mention the word "knob"? :ph34r: :) It would just be a matter of time before someone makes reference to it... ;)
[/quote]

Cool.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1425973214' post='2712803']

[/quote]

Thanks for that: I was embarrassed and angry to be a member of this community last night. I do however feel it's a sad reflection on this community (and society) that's we can't be adult about saying the word Knob. In fact I'm thinking of seeing if I can change my name to Dorset Knob, [url="http://www.moores-biscuits.co.uk/"]http://www.moores-biscuits.co.uk/[/url] maybe if the word is in more common usage it will become less emotive.....(oh, hang on what are those buttons on the front of an amp called)? ;)

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1425929166' post='2712443']

I'm also a forum member. It's simply for balance. Why the angst..? No-one's attacking anyone, are they..? :unsure:
[/quote]
I have to admit that I was rather disappointed that you posted that first video. I also have to admit that I didn't watch the whole thing, he was already vile enough by the time he got to the Baboon bums. But, to be honest, seeing it was from a MRA from The Red Pill, was enough. Did the video actually turn into a turgid cesspool of rape and death threats? Or were they restrained enough to keep that for the thread they posted the video to?
They really are a nasty bunch, and being someone that has suffered workplace sexism (refused one job and sacked from another), you'd think I'd be glad someone was looking out for the men, but not those people.
I have hated typing this out to you, of all people, but I imagine you don't really know who they are.

Also, the second video made a good point but didn't really supply balance. His female admirers/harassers weren't nearly as insistent, creepy or scary as those of the lady in the other video and, as half of his comments came from men, it just shows that the problem is even bigger, not spread out fairly.

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1425655946' post='2709478']
That's just what a [b][i]young[/i][/b] girl needs. An [b][i]old[/i][/b] man making sexual jokes in her thread in which she asks for advice. Thanks.
[/quote]

I'll back off on the sexism if you agree to do the same with the ageism.... OK? B)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1425989663' post='2713063']
OK, point taken. I've deleted the videos I'd posted. I'll repeat, however, that there is a 'Report' button on every post; it's a guaranteed manner to have an official measured response from the Mod team.
[/quote]

Indeed. And I used it myself this morning... to report my own post. :blink:

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1425985842' post='2712998']
That reminds me - there's a nice warm bit of fadge waiting for me when I get home.
[/quote]

I am (successfully, so far) resisting the urge to respond to that.... Except that I have just responded! Doh - you know what I mean! :rolleyes: :D

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1425985522' post='2712996'] I do however feel it's a sad reflection on this community (and society) that's we can't be adult about saying the word Knob.
[/quote]

Hmmmm. Yes and no.

It upset me to think that I had offended someone by thoughtless comments, but at the same time I do think there is a place for what I earlier referred to as "puerile humour". The word "knob" is inherently amusing, even without its innuendo capabilities.

I think it would be a very sad place if we couldn't exploit the entertainment value in words. BTW, isn't FADGE an alternative tuning for a five string bass? :huh:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1425989663' post='2713063']
OK, point taken. I've deleted the videos I'd posted. I'll repeat, however, that there is a 'Report' button on every post; it's a guaranteed manner to have an official measured response from the Mod team.
[/quote]
I don't want to report you. I don't believe you have a nasty bone in your body and that you wouldn't support The Red Pill if you knew about them. I actually saw the videos last night and eventually decided not to say anything, I didn't want to seem to be accusing you of something horrid, or start another argument in this thread. But today I decided that it does people interested in the kinds of sexism talked about in the thread, a better service if they were made aware of that particular group and their tactics.

I would hope that no one would just take my word for it, especially such strong, emotive words, and go research for themselves.

On the upside, I have added some tape to the posts, which both holds the controls on nice and securely - and can be removed easily ...... and I've sent out a request to TC from some replacement controls. Haven't heard from them, but even if they don't reply, the solution suggested by Andytre is great.

Thanks for the help. It's what forums like this are for. Cool.

As for the side subject here - shall we just all forget it? Points made/taken/argued etc. Move on I say.

Not sure if had been mentioned, but this is/was a common issue with these amps and if you ping TC's UK service centre an email, they are usually prompt with sending a new set out. Maybe a touch of super glue might help too.