Why become a member? ×

There's no cure

Funky Dunky

Any of you been like this, or still like this?

I've been playing bass for two years and I have three basses. My most recent acquistion was only a few weeks ago, but it has done nothing to extinguish the GAS.

I crave basses.

I want P basses. Lots of them. I want Jazzes. Warwicks. Spectors. Sterlings. MMs. Gibson. Wals. I just need basses. I need them like a thirsty addict. I have problems. I want Ibanez. I want MTD. Lakland. You name it, if I see it, I want it. And not one. I want several. I want it in blue. I want it in green. I want it in black. Blonde. Natural wood finish. I want one with that pickup configuration, but one with this configuration too. I want one with a black pickguard, one with a white pickguard and one with pearl. I want one with a roseboard and one with maple.

I'm sick. I'm unwell and hopelessly addicted. Only a lottery win can save me. No rehab on the planet can fix me. I need basses. Lots of them. Now.

Edited by Funky Dunky

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1424805891' post='2700691']
I'm sick. I'm unwell and hopelessly addicted. Only a lottery win can save me. No rehab on the planet can fix me. I need basses. Lots of them. Now.
[/quote]

I do believe you may be beyond help.

I can see a time in your future where you are found under a mound of basses, giggling like an excited child.

Bring on the shopping!

[quote name='stubass' timestamp='1424811762' post='2700809']
I dream of the kids moving out so I can knock down the dividing wall between their bedrooms and fill the whole of the upstairs with basses, amps and a beer fridge. Does this make me a bad person?
[/quote]

No, it makes you awesome. Or it will when you've done it.

A bassist has a genuine need for the following basses as a minimum: two fretted jazz basses one strung with flats, one strung with rounds; two fretted precisions, one with flats one with rounds; a fretless bass, possibly a jazz; one with decent active electronics for a modern hi-fi sound; a vintage bass; a custom made bass; a bass with exotic woods; a semi-hollow; an acoustic bass; a headless bass; a bitsa frankenbass; an acrylic bass; a keytar; a bass that nobody else has; the bass everyone else has; a broken bass that's always in the process of being fixed..... and a Hofner.

^^^
Been heading this way on one or two occasions. Then I just stopped, realised what it was I needed, and settled on that. Two jazz-necked Ps, a P5, and a Kingman acoustic. The Kingman is hardly ever used, probably going to be gone soon. Even the DB is probably going to be on its way in the not-too-distant future...

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1424817849' post='2700922']
A bassist has a genuine need for the following basses as a minimum: two fretted jazz basses one strung with flats, one strung with rounds; two fretted precisions, one with flats one with rounds; a fretless bass, possibly a jazz; one with decent active electronics for a modern hi-fi sound; a vintage bass; a custom made bass; a bass with exotic woods; a semi-hollow; an acoustic bass; a headless bass; a bitsa frankenbass; an acrylic bass; a keytar; a bass that nobody else has; the bass everyone else has; a broken bass that's always in the process of being fixed..... and a Hofner.
[/quote]

Brilliant....and spot on.

It really is incurable... It's a matter of controling it. I have all the bass gear I will ever need for my lifetime, Im not looking for anything to improve my set up in any way... but yesterday I was looking through various cort curbows thinking I might just get one for noodling on... Why whould I do that? I can just noodle on my existing bass :blink: Its hopeless...

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1424805891' post='2700691']
Any of you been like this, or still like this?

I've been playing bass for two years and I have three basses. My most recent acquistion was only a few weeks ago, but it has done nothing to extinguish the GAS.

I crave basses.

I want P basses. Lots of them. I want Jazzes. Warwicks. Spectors. Sterlings. MMs. Gibson. Wals. I just need basses. I need them like a thirsty addict. I have problems. I want Ibanez. I want MTD. Lakland. You name it, if I see it, I want it. And not one. I want several. I want it in blue. I want it in green. I want it in black. Blonde. Natural wood finish. I want one with that pickup configuration, but one with this configuration too. I want one with a black pickguard, one with a white pickguard and one with pearl. I want one with a roseboard and one with maple.

[/quote]

Oh dear - you have it bad - that's how I started off, a long time ago! :gas:

Best not take any advice from me! :P
If you do start getting some of them together - label the cases!
That's all I can offer in terms of help! :lol:

:D :D :D

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1424851616' post='2701054']
It really is incurable... It's a matter of controling it. I have all the bass gear I will ever need for my lifetime, Im not looking for anything to improve my set up in any way... but yesterday I was looking through various cort curbows thinking I might just get one for noodling on... Why whould I do that? I can just noodle on my existing bass :blink: Its hopeless...
[/quote]

I've bought several basses to "noodle" on, what's with that? "I just want it" is probably being honest about it, but "noodling" is the word we use. I don't even "noodle" on noodles, I eat them.

Had a bit of time to kill yesterday, between 2 hospital appointments. Ended up in Denmark St .
Saw a white Washburn status in the window.
( I already have a de activated wine colour one).

Thankfully, it was a smidgen overpriced at£495
Guess I'm cured;) i was even thinking of exchanging my steinberger for it. I have seen the light ;)

Last time I was in a guitar shop worth the name, I nearly walked out with an Epiphone Toby Deluxe, saved by the fact that they only had one finish in stock and I didn't like it ;) Ridiculously good for the money, didn't care for the electronics/controls but at that price, who cares if you mod it?

[quote name='Panamonte' timestamp='1424864847' post='2701268']
I thought when I got a 5 string last summer (taking the total number of basses up to 6) that I was sorted. But I've just bought an EUB. And now I'm on the lookout for a 5 string fretless. It really is hopeless. [b]On the plus side they do all get played [/b] :)
[/quote]

This is the key justification I cling to. My total now stands at 7, but I can confidently say that I'll use at least 4 of them at our next recording session in a couple of weeks!