Why become a member? ×

What is the best Outboard Bass Preamp?

grich154

Hi guys,

i have a Fender Jazz bass with passive pickups that are really nice and handwound, but i am looking to boost my highs and dont want to install an onboard pre-amp into the bass itself. The pick ups are way too good for me to remove them, but i would like a little more "punch" i suppose, at times where i feel like it...

So i have been looking at a few different types of exteneral pre-amp and at the moment i am drawn to the MXR M81. But i was wondering if anyone else has experiences they would care to share (good or bad) with regards to outboard preamps.

Any feedback, on any brand etc would be great.

Thanks

You want one that doesn't colour the sound then. Some outboard pres are pretty much a colour box with an eq control, similar to the front end of an amp.

John East makes a pedal version of the J retro IIRC which should complement the bass very nicely.

The tone cap will be sucking some high end even with it wide open as far as I know though.

Not tried the MXR but I've used a Hartke Bassattack pedal for years and liked it, wouldn't gig without it now. Despite all the knobs and buttons on my Trace amp I think I can get just that bit more out of it with the pedal up front. I've used both passive jazz and precision with it. I wouldn't recommend it if you are into a lot of fiddling on stage though, the position settings on the knobs are almost impossible to see on stage. A while back there was an anniversary edition of the pedal with clearer knobs that was available at a stupidly low price, wish I'd picked one up. They are not available any more but the regular black one is, gone up in price a bit over the years but still cheaper than the MXR.

yeah i have started switching to different strings too, i've gone to nickel instead of stainless and stuff. The hartke sounds interesting too, i will have to check that out. i would be happy with a sound structure change, just a specific sound i am looking for so i wouldnt be much for changing settings on stage either...i can imagine that would be a real nightmare!

I'm a Jazz man, and have been through a fair few pres. Aguilar Tone Hammer, MXR M80, Hartle Baas attack, BB Xotic, and DHA VT1eq are the ones I can remember. They all has their plus points, but I went back to the DHA because of the eq. Moat of the 'bass Pre' pedals have a 2 band eq (bass and treble) with no ability to dial in more mids.
If you want 'punch' then you might want to consider a compressor though.

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1423139416' post='2681222']
I absolutely swear by my Hartke Bass Attack, its the best money I've spent in years! My sound is just incredible now and I wouldnt play without it.
[/quote]

They seem so ruggedly put together I'm not expecting mine to fail any time soon yet at the same time I wish I'd picked up the silver anniversary one, a couple of places were selling them at about £40 or something similar, bargain.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1423142067' post='2681294']
They seem so ruggedly put together I'm not expecting mine to fail any time soon yet at the same time I wish I'd picked up the silver anniversary one, a couple of places were selling them at about £40 or something similar, bargain.
[/quote]

Yeah I got my silver anniversary one from Thomann, I would of been happy to pay twice the price for how good it is!

Another vote for the MXR M-80 here. The clean channel is excellent for a bit of heft and punch without overly changing your sound and you have the option of a totally tweakable distortion channel, noise gate and DI facilities if you ever need them. I believe there is one currently up for sale on this very forum.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1423136719' post='2681159']
Not tried the MXR but I've used a Hartke Bassattack pedal for years and liked it, wouldn't gig without it now. Despite all the knobs and buttons on my Trace amp I think I can get just that bit more out of it with the pedal up front. I've used both passive jazz and precision with it. I wouldn't recommend it if you are into a lot of fiddling on stage though, the position settings on the knobs are almost impossible to see on stage. A while back there was an anniversary edition of the pedal with clearer knobs that was available at a stupidly low price, wish I'd picked one up. They are not available any more but the regular black one is, gone up in price a bit over the years but still cheaper than the MXR.
[/quote]

You can buy new knobs online very cheaply - I had the same issue with visibility and got some black knobs with a big white stripe on to replace the chrome topped ones for a couple of quid.

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1423156465' post='2681574']
You can buy new knobs online very cheaply - I had the same issue with visibility and got some black knobs with a big white stripe on to replace the chrome topped ones for a couple of quid.
[/quote]

Do you guys tweek for different songs then or something?

I set mine at the start of the gig and dont touch it ever again haha!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1423230554' post='2682534']
Yes, and much more so when I play in a covers band - which I don't. But yes. :)
[/quote]

Is that because of different songs or just unhappy with your sound?

I get so worried about gear at gigs that I set everything up get it all sounding half decent and dont touch anything in case it all breaks!!

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1423230826' post='2682538']
[/quote]

Yes, different songs - particularly for covers. It helps create the illusion, especially if the guitar does the same and the singer is a bit of a chameleon. Not much you can do about the drums, though - unless it's a leccy kit, of course - depends how far you want to go with it.

But I do use different settings for my originals bands, too - a bit of disto here, maybe a little bit of (shh) slapping there... though to a great extent I do most of my tone changes by plucking the strings at different positions and/or alternating between fingerstyle and pick.

No, I'm not unhappy with my sound! Though not enough happy enough to stop buying gear all the time though, obviously. ;)

Edited by discreet

If you've got a basic sound that you use most of the time but just want to add some tonal variations in places, then I'd look at getting a Pod.

I have a basic sound that is the starting point as one of my presets and then a couple of drive variations to thicken up the overall sound as required in the guitar solos, and finally a few completely different sounds that are used on specific songs. Each patch is just a footswitch press away and I never had to worry about my EQ settings. I plug it in and there's my sound.

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1423230826' post='2682538']

I get so worried about gear at gigs that I set everything up get it all sounding half decent and dont touch anything in case it all breaks!!
[/quote]

All you need to do, really. I might switch to the back pickup for a style or prefer another bass as it sound checked better
but the last thing I'm doing is chasing EQ. It is set-up, that is what the sound check is for.
The keys and Gtrs handle the effects but it pisses me off if we set a level and it goes half thru the second set
because someone has turned up.

You guys who tweak and twiddle at things DURING a gig, between songs - my hat's off to you. I turn the bass up, use neck pickup where there's a choice, and tweak the amp so that I can hear myself. I can't handle more than that, I'm afraid, I'm too busy remembering what the hell I'm supposed to be playing - and I wrote some of it! ;)

• Like 1