Why become a member? ×

POLL!

Skol303

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1422718514' post='2676008']
Any quest for new music by whatever means is positive, given that the average age of members on this forum represents people who, in other walks of life, probably haven't listened to anything new in thirty years.
[/quote]

I know loads of people of my age & older who are constantly listening to & searching out new music, and they're not "musicians" either.
They are always recommending stuff to me that I'd otherwise never have heard of.

I don't take any notice of them whatsoever mind...... :)

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1422723130' post='2676103']
I know loads of people of my age & older who are constantly listening to & searching out new music, and they're not "musicians" either.
[/quote]

Oh please! Imaginary friends don't count. :rolleyes:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1422725688' post='2676151']
Really? Oh bugger. :(
[/quote]

:D

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1422723130' post='2676103']
I don't take any notice of them whatsoever mind... :)
[/quote]

I didn't get where I am today by taking any notice of them. In fact, I didn't get where I am today. :crazy:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1422639607' post='2675083']
A fair comment - I'm sure some members may think they're simply not good enough, but it's a forum competition, not the Ivor Novello Awards. [/quote]

Yeh, but in a way that is maybe worse. For years I wouldn't buy a bass in a shop because not only were shops generally sh*t around that time, I was a bit paranoid playing in a shop. Not so much of a problem now, but it took a long time before I did.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1422639607' post='2675083']
But that doesn't explain why more people don't listen and vote.
[/quote]

No it doesn't.

I've entered a number of times and vote quite a lot. I've stopped entering now though. I initially thought it was great, it was good just to write things and enter and the winning didn't matter. But it did seem to become more about what was the best song, not the best composition or one that matched the piece. However, as said that didn't bother me.

There were a number of times where the recording quality was mentioned to entrants which i didn't think was necessary as it was about composition.

The forum is friendly enough and when it got to voting time a couple of people would leave feedback on the soundcloud which is always nice and obviously Dad would do his excellent play of the days, However I never got to feel that i was part of it that much despite contributing regularly ish. There is a core of people who whenever anyone of them post there entry they are all over each others work with comments etc, within the thread i mean. Then others who aren't part of that core would put theirs up and nowt would get said. I'm not for a moment suggesting people were being mean, or were purposelly being a clique or anything just the way i felt. i just felt a bit of an outsider. So i just stopped doing it!

I've only entered a few times, but I've only missed one of the votes.

It's the voting that's important, partly because the music is so subjective that if there are enough voters then it's likely everyone will get a vote, and that can give rise to the confidence and encouragement almost every composer/musician needs to keep doing it and getting better.

I keep meaning to enter, but in all honesty it's not a priority for me, and keeps getting pushed further down the list of stuff I need to get done.

I've listened to, and voted in 2, maybe 3 month's competitions though.

I don't feel that the publicity the Composition Challenge receives is excessive. I feel a little pang of guilt whenever I see it mentioned, but that's just me feeling bad for not having the time to participate.

Maybe I need to review my composition/life balance. ;)

Edited by paul_5

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1422727820' post='2676189']
I've entered a number of times and vote quite a lot. I've stopped entering now though....................

. i just felt a bit of an outsider. So i just stopped doing it!
[/quote]

That is a real shame , I know I am in the thick of it now , but I never got the feeling that there was an 'insider' , OK Skol puts a lot of work in and is almost a hub for it , but even this month , I think Old ben is a first timer and could pick up the win !! not that a win is the aim for many of us , it is the motivation that I love .
You are always welcome to participate whenever you are ready , as are all .
I don't listen to any entries until mine is put up , but I try to comment on other entries afterwards , not to the extent of Dads fantastic reviews , but its great if someone takes the time to comment on the track.
The clique effect isn't working in Dads favour at the moment , near the death now and he hasn't scored a vote , that is a shame .

On the plus side, the count is 41 votes in , that is a fantastic response , I am sure all the entrants are really thankful to those that have supported the challenge this month,

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1422740322' post='2676418']...
The clique effect isn't working in Dads favour at the moment , near the death now and he hasn't scored a vote , that is a shame ...
[/quote]

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:149053]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by Dad3353

I posted our latest song on here a while back, definitely the best song I have ever played on, but how does it stand to critique from your peers? It took a lot of soul searching before I decided to share it....shouldn't have worried, it got 2 listens and 2 comments only.....I guess most people on here are not really interested in what your fellow Baschatters are creating.....said song got played on Radio 1 a few weeks later.....after 30 years of trying....did I mention it on here at the time.....nah didn't bother

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1422815769' post='2677123']
I posted our latest song on here a while back, definitely the best song I have ever played on, but how does it stand to critique from your peers? It took a lot of soul searching before I decided to share it....shouldn't have worried, it got 2 listens and 2 comments only.....I guess most people on here are not really interested in what your fellow Baschatters are creating.....said song got played on Radio 1 a few weeks later.....after 30 years of trying....did I mention it on here at the time.....nah didn't bother
[/quote]
It must have been good to get two comments mate! Take it as a badge of honour!

Also 30 yrs of trying to get on radio 1. I thought they didn't play songs by anyone older than 17

I don't surf the net with headphones on.

I surf silently.

To listen to a tune or watch a video I have to go home or upstairs and try to find a working set of earphones or turn on the PC. The phone internal speaker is just about good enough to watch a non music video.

I used to try to catch it and vote, but it just makes me feel frustrated and inadequate. There was one month when I had a brilliant idea to go with the picture and I spent the whole month thinking about it. The recording would have only been about eighteen seconds long (the time it would take me to fall a mile), and I never got around to it. I just have very little confidence in that sort of thing. I was very disappointed in myself and stopped looking after that. I have even given thought to recording an idea I have had and hoping that one day a related picture might pop up...

I have software and other stuff I need to actually record, I just need Dad to come to my house and show me how to use it!

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1422849453' post='2677530']
I have even given thought to recording an idea I have had and hoping that one day a related picture might pop up...
[/quote]

You're not allowed to do that though, it has to be a new piece of music.

Ironically I have a song I wrote last year that works with this months picture....

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1422924704' post='2678573']
I used to have it. I don't have a webcam that works with my new computer anymore. And I'm far too shy, I didn't even like using it with people I knew face to face already.
[/quote]

You're not going to feel comfy if I come knocking on your door either, then..!
Seriously though, if it could be of any help, ask away any darned thing, either in the 'Recording' forum or by PM and I'm pretty sure that if a numpty such as myself can do the simple stuff I do, you can do at least as well (and very probably better..!). No, this is not false modesty. The difficult thing, as with learning to swim, is getting into the water. It's much more difficult to learn on dry land. Your call, of course, as always...
([i]On reading this back, I realise that It could be read as having to be in water to record stuff. Sorry, that's just how the phrase turned out, and is not the case. Recording can be learnt on dry land[/i]...)