Why become a member? ×

POLL!

Skol303

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1423102260' post='2680868']
I take it you mean the company Anadin? It's probably from the word Anodyne. Which is what I assume you were trying to spell.

"In medicine before the 20th century, an anodyne was a drug that was believed to relieve or soothe pain by lessening the sensitivity of the brain or nervous system (Greek ἀνώδυνος anōdynos < ἀν- an- 'without' + ὀδύνη odynē 'pain'). It was essentially an analgesic."
[i]Source Wikipedia[/i]

I knew the word anodyne, but was unaware of it's link to medicine. Always something new to learn on BassChat!
[/quote]

Thanks for that; it's a slip-up from French on my part. We've both learned something today, then; makes me glad I got up this morning.

I answered some of the polls questions, but my real answers were not an option for me to choose, so ill answer them here:

[b]Do you vote in the challenge - and if not, why not?[/b]
I don't vote because i don't take part. I dont feel it's ok to cast a judgment on someone elses offering if i'm not willing (don't have the time) to make a bit of music for the challenge myself

[b] What might tempt you to take part in the Composition Challenge yourself?[/b]

Having more free time in the house.
Also having a better understanding of how to produce a piece of decent quaity. I can record from the house. But only in low quality, using guitar band etc.
I dont know enough about the programmes to make best use of them.

FWIW i do often listen to the entries, and enjoy them, i just dont vote

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1423226169' post='2682428']
I dont feel it's ok to cast a judgment on someone elses offering
[/quote]

I don't think it's particularly judgemental. You just giving your opinion of whether you like it or not.

You don't buy someone's CD because you want them to know you think they're making good music. You buy it because you like it.

What about having check boxes instead of radio buttons. You can 'buy' several songs rather than judging the best.

That way even if I produce a composition that someone likes but doesn't necessarily think is the best they can vote and I get a small bit of recognition for my efforts.

I can imagine getting no recognition at all for a piece you've created might be a bit soul destroying.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1423230373' post='2682527']
What about having check boxes instead of radio buttons. You can 'buy' several songs rather than judging the best.

That way even if I produce a composition that someone likes but doesn't necessarily think is the best they can vote and I get a small bit of recognition for my efforts.

I can imagine getting no recognition at all for a piece you've created might be a bit soul destroying.
[/quote]

Having a system of multiple votes as you suggest & still getting no votes I assume would be even more soul destroying.

N[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1423238024' post='2682648']
Having a system of multiple votes as you suggest & still getting no votes I assume would be even more soul destroying.
[/quote]

No, I'm getting used to it, but thanks anyway.
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:142415]

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1423238024' post='2682648']

[/quote]

Probably "soul destroying" is a bit strong.

Although if you're in an originals band it may be similar to that feeling you have when you're last on the bill at 12:00 and everyone has gone home. :D

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1423239620' post='2682688']
Probably "soul destroying" is a bit strong.

Although if you're in an originals band it may be similar to that feeling you have when you're last on the bill at 12:00 and everyone has gone home. :D
[/quote]

Yeah, been there... :D