Why become a member? ×

The Official MARUSZCZYK CLUB!

Ulas Engin

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1486047235' post='3228782']
Oh... :(

I opened the box to take the gig bag out, easier to transport later.
But... it's empty!!!!

Well, it must be empty. It weighs nothing!
;)
[/quote]
That bodes well for my chambered s-s Elwood with alu bridge and lightweight tuners - still no sofa shot yet though! Hoping it won't get delayed by the NAMM stuff. :unsure:

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1486062094' post='3228983']
That bodes well for my chambered s-s Elwood with alu bridge and lightweight tuners - still no sofa shot yet though! Hoping it won't get delayed by the NAMM stuff. :unsure:
[/quote]

It's 7.8lbs. Feels and balances perfectly, like the other two Jakes.

The finish is... not what I had in mind :lol: but I guess I only had myself to blame for not being so clear at describing it as I did in the past. The neck has a darker tint, not the yellowish one I was wanting (as in my red Jake), and the body is most definitely not what I had in mind... but it's beautiful. :lol: I meant for it to be a dark purple/violet type of colour (think Prince... not far off, but a bit darker). It came out a lot redder. Under some light it's clearly purpleish, under others it's almost burgundy... the wood grain is beautiful. I should have made sure we understood each other about the actual colours, but it still looks fantastic, and most of all, it feels and sounds great. I went with the Heussel JJ60 pickups this time and I'm not disappointed.

Interestingly now it comes with the usual catalog but also a 'certificate' and user's manual... It certainly succeeds at giving you the impression that you have something special in your hands, which it is ;)

Not much time to play it now, but this weekend it'll be unleashed!

About weights... my other two Jakes are 8.8 (P/JJ) and 7.6lbs (reverse P).

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1486114600' post='3229290']
All sounds good to me mcnach, and I love the colour - kind of 'Off-Purple Rain' :D
[/quote]

It's hard to photograph with my phone. The kind of illumination dictates whether it appears more red, dark, or you start seeing the 'purple'. Playability and sound are superb. I am just kicking myself for being careless and not getting the neck tint and the body colour right :rolleyes: But when I'm playing it I don't care anymore. It's really really nice, and as before, the neck is just right and feels fantastic.

For my red one, we talked about the exact tint and they got it right, and I wanted the same. The red was also just right. This one, I failed... ha! The kicker is when I first indicated the colour and sent a couple of pictures as example, he sent one back of an Elwood in pretty much the right colour. It was just a bit too blue, but I'd have loved it. So I mentioned a bit darker and a bit redder... and damn, they listened. :lol:

The original idea for this bass was Prince! I always wanted a Jazz in purple with white plate (and it's got to be maple for me). When he died last year I was thinking about the Precision body and two J pickups, and I thought 'it's got to happen' but initially I just converted my Matt Freeman Precision as I didn't want to spend much money at the time (contract uncertainties and house move, so I was in save mode). And eventually I went for it. I should have just forgotten about pictures and say "you know Prince's bass? That kind of colour". It'd be different as it's translucent on my bass but that sort of hue (initially it was going to be solid, sparkly purple! but I chickened out and toned it down)

Here's a pic I took this morning with natural light:

[quote name='burno70' timestamp='1486129573' post='3229449']
I love the colour - and the grain's lovely! Though I'd be tempted to try a black pickguard.

I might get the Hausel's on my next one!
[/quote]

Exactly!
I liked the white with my original colour plan... but with this colour I think a black one will be best. I plan to have one made in the future...

The Haussels surprised me very pleasantly. Well, not really surprised as I heard the recordings from WoT and they sounded really good, plus he seems to be a man with taste ;) I was enjoying the Custom Shop 60s on the last of my Fender Jazz basses that I've just sold and I thought I might want a pair of those in the new bass. I think the CS 60s were a bit sweeter, but it's hard to tell as it was a different bass entirely and it be just my imagination making them better than they were. The truth is I really like the Haussels and I have no intention on changing anything here. All I did was lower slightly the neck pickup on the bass side, and it sounds fantastic. It's the Jazz I always wanted (just don't mention the colour :lol:)

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1486283373' post='3230480']
Bloody hell Jose.

That's a cracker. Good work!
[/quote]

It's a bit of a love/hate thing :lol: and I only have myself to blame.

I meant for the neck to be the yellowish kind of tint. It looks darker than in the picture. For m previous bass I had a chat about the tint and ended up specifying 'yellowish vintage tint' while here I just said vintage tint... and I got the darker orange type. Then the body... I went for a Prince purple sort of vibe (the whole colour pattern of this bass was based on Prince)... and it looks darker an redder in person. It's beautiful but not what I wanted. So on the one hand I'm looking at it alternating between "very nice" and "but... it's not what I wanted, even if it is what I asked for". That's where I get some mixed feelings. But when I play it... it's such a sweet bass to play! It feels amazing and sounds better. It's surpassed my expectations in that respect.

My gf loved the idea of the original colour scheme and she started saying she'll make it happen. Without my knowledge she's photographed the documents that came with the bass to get in touch with Maruszczyk and make sure she gets the same but in different colours. Fortunately she told me about it so we've had a chat and I disuaded her. It's a lovely idea and I love that she even thought of that... but I don't need another bass and this bass is fantastic and I don't want to get rid off it. Imagine I get the new one and it doesn't feel as nice, and I have to decide between the looks or the one I really like playing? Nah... I had my chance, and I got this. It looks a bit like old maroon kind of furniture :lol: but if I get blue lights shining on it it looks great :lol:
The neck bothers me the most... I really like the paler yellowish version...

But oddly I think I'll end up loving it more because of the 'failed' looks, as I always had a bit of a soft spot for the underdog, for the slightly cosmetlically compromised... and whenever I take this bass I just struggle to put it down. It's the Jazz bass I always wanted: pure amazing Jazz bass tone in a smaller more comfortable light weight body with the perfect neck dimensions and the smooth lacquered feel...

I have a U-Retro preamp that I thought I might want to put here but it's perfect as it is. I love it. So if the colour is not perfect, tough. I'm sure if the bass could talk it would rather be played by someone better than me :P

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1486310493' post='3230774']

My gf loved the idea of the original colour scheme and she started saying she'll make it happen. Without my knowledge she's photographed the documents that came with the bass to get in touch with Maruszczyk and make sure she gets the same but in different colours. Fortunately she told me about it so we've had a chat and I disuaded her. It's a lovely idea and I love that she even thought of that...
[/quote]

It appears the word Keeper applies to this bass AND your gf!

[quote name='dieseldalziel' timestamp='1486313932' post='3230813']
It appears the word Keeper applies to this bass AND your gf!
[/quote]

her, definitely :)

and I met her through playing bass, which is amazing :lol: she was a fan of the band and came to see us often, then she told me she plays bass too and wanted to know how I was playing one of our songs... oh! wait! I just realised her plan is to actually substitute me in the band!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

:P

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1486116287' post='3229317']

It's hard to photograph with my phone. The kind of illumination dictates whether it appears more red, dark, or you start seeing the 'purple'. Playability and sound are superb. I am just kicking myself for being careless and not getting the neck tint and the body colour right :rolleyes: But when I'm playing it I don't care anymore. It's really really nice, and as before, the neck is just right and feels fantastic.

For my red one, we talked about the exact tint and they got it right, and I wanted the same. The red was also just right. This one, I failed... ha! The kicker is when I first indicated the colour and sent a couple of pictures as example, he sent one back of an Elwood in pretty much the right colour. It was just a bit too blue, but I'd have loved it. So I mentioned a bit darker and a bit redder... and damn, they listened. :lol:

The original idea for this bass was Prince! I always wanted a Jazz in purple with white plate (and it's got to be maple for me). When he died last year I was thinking about the Precision body and two J pickups, and I thought 'it's got to happen' but initially I just converted my Matt Freeman Precision as I didn't want to spend much money at the time (contract uncertainties and house move, so I was in save mode). And eventually I went for it. I should have just forgotten about pictures and say "you know Prince's bass? That kind of colour". It'd be different as it's translucent on my bass but that sort of hue (initially it was going to be solid, sparkly purple! but I chickened out and toned it down)

Here's a pic I took this morning with natural light:

[/quote]

It looks beautiful in that light. That neck tint should age wonderfully... just need to play it loads and get some dirt ground into it!

[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1486337272' post='3231030']
It looks beautiful in that light. That neck tint should age wonderfully... just need to play it loads and get some dirt ground into it!
[/quote]

It actually looks prettier 'in person' :)

Really glad I ordered it (despite not explaining the aesthetics properly), it's got a fantastic Jazz bass tone in a package more comfortable than any Jazz I ever played.

[quote name='Lightlyseared' timestamp='1486423034' post='3231741']
What is the standard neck shape like on a Jake?
[/quote]

whatever you wish, just supply your own specs.
If you mean the stock ones on their website, the nut width is indicated and is variable but it tends to be about 40-41mm. Between a standard Jazz and a Precision (if there's such thing as they vary a lot). Depth at 1st fret probably about 21mm. So it's a slim-ish neck, but not as much as a Jazz.
If you're willing to wait 10 weeks, just order you own if you know what you're after. :)

[quote name='Lightlyseared' timestamp='1486460804' post='3231892']
Thanks guys- that already sounds a lot like what I'd go for, depending on the radius.
[/quote]

Run away while you can.
Once they catch you, you will not go away... you... can't... es...cape...

;)

I'm trying to work out if the 32" scale Elwood's have a reduced body and neck size, comparing them using Photoshop seems to point towards the body having slightly different shaped top and bottom horns but roughly the same over all size as the long scale version.

The headstock actually seems longer on the medium scale.

Maybe the pics have been slightly distorted to look nice and uniform in the web gallery.

Could anyone shed a little light on the matter please?