Why become a member? ×

The Official MARUSZCZYK CLUB!

Ulas Engin

I'm looking at ordering a s-s Elwood C and have pretty much spec'd the construction and finish of it (actually 2 alternatives that I have yet to decide on!). What I'm not sure about are the pups. The standard ones for the Elwood C are Adrian's single coils. Does anyone out there have experience of them - or the others he offers like Delano and Glockenklang come to that? Only ones I know are the Domanskis on my Cazpar (which I like). And what about active versus passive? I'm not likely to be playing anything that requires any tonal extremes, so I'm inclined to stick with passives. What I do find neat on the Cazpar is the switchable humbie.

All of his actives are switchable passive, you pull the volume, then the treble control works as a passive tone for half of its range, which is cool, so when you switch to passive with flat treble you don't instantly get a passive tone cut. If thats what you wanted to do.

But my pickups are the humbucker and the P so I don't know what the singles are like.

Not sure what a passive mindset is. I just like my bass to sound the same regardless of the lead I use. The active circuit is there to provide a low impedance path to the amplifier so that there is no tone loss or noise injection. A side effect is you can use active tone controls, but I am not really worried about those.
THe pickups aren't active, they are normal passive pickups.

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1481482860' post='3192622']
How are you guys finding the actives? I'm stuck in the passive mindset and was wondering what you guys liked about Active pickups.
[/quote]
Bit of a mystery too, which I'm going to investigate so I can make a proper job of spec'ing my Elwood C. Thanks to woodinblack for getting me started (and also pierreganseman with a pm).

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1481487498' post='3192664']
Not sure what a passive mindset is. I just like my bass to sound the same regardless of the lead I use. The active circuit is there to provide a low impedance path to the amplifier so that there is no tone loss or noise injection. A side effect is you can use active tone controls, but I am not really worried about those.
THe pickups aren't active, they are normal passive pickups.
[/quote]

What I meant was, I'm a plug in and play kind of guy.

Actives just have tons of buttons and switches and I'm confused by them all!

My speesy comes tomorrow.

If it's good I'll think about ordering another one!

[quote name='burno70' timestamp='1481724594' post='3194569']
Ordered a stock short scale Elwood and just received the confirmation from Adrian, should have it by Friday - cannot wait!
[/quote]
Hey burno70, I'm just putting together my spec for a lightly customised s-s Elwood to keep my Cazpar company. When you say "standard", will that be a Maru single-coil JJ - and what finish have you gone for?

The gigbags that are supplied are very nice. However I've found they get heavier than my other ones when you put extra in them.

No idea what sort of case my Mensinger will come with, it suggests a gig bag on the attachment Adrian emailed me, but we'll see.

Got no idea how a V styled bass will fit into a standard gigbag. But like I say, we'll see

[quote name='burno70' timestamp='1481796815' post='3195162']
Yeah it has a gig bag included. Will be nice if its a short scale bag - do they even exist?

Scrumpy MIke - it has the tobacco burst finish with the Musz. stock single coil pups.

Fisheth - has it arrived?
[/quote]

Not yet, it missed the change over (Fed Ex's support was very helpful)

However it's out for delivery.

[quote name='burno70' timestamp='1481796815' post='3195162']
Yeah it has a gig bag included. Will be nice if its a short scale bag - do they even exist?

Scrumpy MIke - it has the tobacco burst finish with the Musz. stock single coil pups.

Fisheth - has it arrived?
[/quote]
Nice! I saw that one on Adrian's website.

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1481797740' post='3195173']
Nice! I saw that one on Adrian's website.
[/quote]

I prefer the red burst but it was out of stock and this one will do for my first dabblings on a short scale. If it suits me I may sell my main bass and get a custom s-s Elwood, we'll see.

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1481810634' post='3195338']
So my bass came with a flying V gig bag. Lovely!

Just had a quick play of it.

The Delano pickup in my bass almost has a stingray type grind to it. It's rather pleasant!
[/quote]

I see from your couch shot that it's a Delano P pup - which model is it?

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1481811905' post='3195356']
I see from your couch shot that it's a Delano P pup - which model is it?
[/quote]

It is a [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Delano PVC 4 FE/M2![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Very nice pickup.[/font][/color]