Why become a member? ×

The Official MARUSZCZYK CLUB!

Ulas Engin

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1490051814' post='3261869']
They do look v nice. How's the tone when compared to a normal Fender Jazz? Sounds a bit beefier than a usual J in the demos I've seen but that could just be processing.
[/quote]

The Marusczczyk stock pick ups sound like a regular jazz pick up to me. Warmer with the neck pick up and Jaco-like with the bridge pups. They sound really nice to me but I've never actually owned a Fender Jazz so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

[quote name='burno70' timestamp='1490102648' post='3262163']

The Marusczczyk stock pick ups sound like a regular jazz pick up to me. Warmer with the neck pick up and Jaco-like with the bridge pups. They sound really nice to me but I've never actually owned a Fender Jazz so I'm probably not the best person to ask.
[/quote]

Ok good to know. I'm starting to form an idea for a potential order, I was set on a short scale P but that squashed J body on the Elwood makes a lot of sense in terms of reach and upper register access. I'm thinking a 4 string passive black/maple Elwood with a PJ configuration instead of JJ would be great.

I've made a Photoshop mockup of the kind of thing I have in mind. One potential issue I can see with this is that the P pickup is not in the correct P position, which may have a detrimental effect on the tone, in which case the Jake body might make more sense. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Bad idea / good idea?

[quote name='burno70' timestamp='1490043384' post='3261757']
I got a short scale Elwood just before Christmas and totally love it. It took all my will power not to order another one straight away! It was a stock bass and the workmanship, fit and finish is 10/10. It's light weight, well balanced , looks lovely, and most importantly it's fantastic to play. I will be getting another one but will wait until later on in the year.
[/quote]
+1 - except the bit about getting another one (I've already got it and it's a Cazpar 4p). Had mine for about 3 weeks and it's a 4a with chambered body, Haeussel P + J/J, Delano 2-band and lightweight bridge / tuners.

Edited by scrumpymike

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1490113836' post='3262283']
I've made a Photoshop mockup of the kind of thing I have in mind. One potential issue I can see with this is that the P pickup is not in the correct P position, which may have a detrimental effect on the tone, in which case the Jake body might make more sense. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Bad idea / good idea?

[/quote]Tasty, very Geddy Lee. Re: pickup positions, Adrian will make sure that they are in the relative sweet spots. When I had my 33" fretless made, I asked for the MM pickup to be in the Stingray position, Adrian came straight back saying that it would have to be moved slightly to accommodate the shorter scale for the 'correct' tone. I don't think you have anything to worry about, especially if you mention it in your email to him.

[quote name='Grahambythesea' timestamp='1490132384' post='3262558']
I know this is a dumb question but as I have never seen one of these in the flesh or in a shop I have no idea how to pronounce Maruszcyzk. I'd like to be enlightened.
[/quote]

Maroosh-chick
Or thereabouts :)

Si

[quote name='Grahambythesea' timestamp='1490202994' post='3263231']
Thank you, the 'sh' is a surprise but I guessed the chick bit!! May be their sales profile might have been helped had they adopted a more western sounding name like the chinese do. Adrian guitars would have been pretty good.
[/quote]

If i had a product i wanted my name on I wouldn't change my name or abbreviate it unless I actually like the abbreviation..learning to say the name is like a badge of honour!

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1490213998' post='3263369']
Seven weeks in this Friday.

Anyone know what the waiting times are like these days?

Depending on how close it is, I'll have to start flogging some gear now!
[/quote]

My custom Elwood was 12 weeks though I know Adrian had to wait for the white Haeussel pups on special order.

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1490376304' post='3264760']
My custom Elwood was 12 weeks though I know Adrian had to wait for the white Haeussel pups on special order.
[/quote]

Time to get rid of some gear then!

What's the standard neck on their Cazpar basses? I think someone in here has one.

Buddy of mine was asking me about a left handed version of one.

Edit: He's emailed Adrian about a Pike.

I'm glad I've turned my buddies onto Adrian's stuff.

Edited by Fisheth

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1490114889' post='3262297']
Tasty, very Geddy Lee. Re: pickup positions, Adrian will make sure that they are in the relative sweet spots. When I had my 33" fretless made, I asked for the MM pickup to be in the Stingray position, Adrian came straight back saying that it would have to be moved slightly to accommodate the shorter scale for the 'correct' tone. I don't think you have anything to worry about, especially if you mention it in your email to him.
[/quote]

Apparently not going to be possible in the sweet spot - the above design is doable but I'm not gonna get the pickups where I want them, which means I won't get the tone I'm after. I actually think with a setup like this it will sound closer to a Jaguar, which is not what I'm going for. Might need to have a bit of a rethink. I like the 22 frets on the Elwood shape, but I want a p-bass tone.. back to the drawing board.

Just arrived - beautiful piece of craftsmanship - looking forward to hooking it up to my rig. The action was so low that even open strings buzzed - the neck relief seems ok so I've lifted the saddles a little 👍 The woods used are outstanding!

[quote name='JohnR' timestamp='1490685380' post='3266933']
That worries me. Given that these are effectively custom instruments shipping them with a poor setup is hard to understand.
[/quote]

It would certainly make sense to give them a 'middle ground' setup. But FWIW, it's no reflection on the quality of the instruments.

My L5 came with a super low set up and very light strings. Playing as normal it had a fair but of buzz. As an experiment I turned my amp up and played with a much lighter touch and in the space of a fortnight totally transformed my playing... Smoother, quicker and much more dynamic control. Within a month all my basses wore a similar setup. I'm guessing it's how Adrian plays, and that's how he sends them out.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1490680886' post='3266902']
Beautiful!

And yes, being shipped with insanely low action seems to be the norm, for some reason!
[/quote]

Please stop it! I'm trying not to get one!

However it sounds like Adrian's set up is much like mine (sub 1mm at the 12th fret), and this seems like something I can get on board with. Ironically, I can't get my Wal that low and I'm not shimming the neck on a bass like that!

I dropped a note to Adrian about the action, and got a response within an hour (I sent it at 7.00am before leaving for work!) and he suggested an 1/8th turn of the truss rod.

I'm glad to hear its not just mine! Its making the action on my Shuker look positively high :scratch_one-s_head:

I take Nick's point though about when played through an amp at "normal" volumes. I might turn the truss rod and drop the saddles back a tad. As WaterofTyne says though, the build quality is top notch.

[quote name='Risk101' timestamp='1490680089' post='3266899']
Just arrived - beautiful piece of craftsmanship - looking forward to hooking it up to my rig. The action was so low that even open strings buzzed - the neck relief seems ok so I've lifted the saddles a little The woods used are outstanding!
[/quote]

I specified the same set-up on both of mine - ultra-low action and 045-105" strings. My Cazpar (early autumn delivery) was perfect but the Elwood (arrived 5 weeks ago) was just a bit too buzzy. I think with a marginal setup the temperature swings you can get in winter/early spring - especially in a factory in Poland - could well be a factor.

[quote name='JohnR' timestamp='1490685380' post='3266933']
That worries me. Given that these are effectively custom instruments shipping them with a poor setup is hard to understand.
[/quote]

What worries you?
The low action or that it will not be set up to your exact requirements? Because no instrument will ever be -unless by chance-. Setting it up to your liking is pretty much the first thing to do with any new instrument. It's nothing to do with quality but preference: we're not saying frets or nut are cut poorly or frets need levelling or something like that.

On my 3 Maruszczyk basses I also ended up lowering the pickups a little bit. They seem to favour higher positions than I do. It's like they're set for someone who plays with a gentler touch than me. But I fail to see how that can be a 'worry' as well. I have to say I never indicated anything about a setup when ordering... I actually wouldn't know how to describe the set up I like and I expect to do it myself. I specify neck dimensions, frets, even the spacing of the nut slots and a bunch of other things, but I still expect to receive a well made instrument, and when I get it out of the box tweak here and there to get it the way I like to play it.

[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1490687922' post='3266963']
My L5 came with a super low set up and very light strings. Playing as normal it had a fair but of buzz. As an experiment I turned my amp up and played with a much lighter touch and in the space of a fortnight totally transformed my playing... Smoother, quicker and much more dynamic control. Within a month all my basses wore a similar setup. I'm guessing it's how Adrian plays, and that's how he sends them out.
[/quote]

you may be right. In his videos he does seem to had a light touch, so maybe their 'standard' setup is on the low side