Why become a member? ×

Youtube bass demos

Bilbo

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1421670678' post='2663729']
I just watched 4 videos claiming to explain the difference between a P bass and a Jazz. ..(edit).... I just don't think any of it matters very much!
[/quote]

In the world of playing with other musicans, for me it doesn't matter. Once you introduce other players, room acoustics and a signal chain, things get out of hand very quickly. I shug my shoulders, have the ambtion to hear myself and look to have a good time.

That said, as I embark on another year of exploring the boudaries of wallet size versus tone goals, I'll always retain a P bass and a Jazz.

[size=5][sub]I don't really give a monkey's how a bass sounds solo. What would be more interesting is to play diferent basses in a band context for comparison.[/sub][/size]
[size=5][sub]I guess that's of no interest to the 'bedroom bubinga botherers'* though.[/sub][/size]

[size=5][sub]*(c) xilddx[/sub][/size]

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1421670678' post='2663729']
I just watched 4 videos claiming to explain the difference between a P bass and a Jazz. I hear the words and they make sense and then they play the basses and I am buggered if I can tell the difference definitively. A guy says 'this P has more puch' and then 'zzzzzzing' follwed by 'this Jazz has mroe bite' and then 'doink'. I just don't think any of it matters very much!
[/quote]

I'll go along with that. I prefer the way a Precision hangs on a strap and find the neck more comfortable to play. Apart from that EQ can pretty much level the playing field. Still not sure which is better for metal though?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1421670722' post='2663732']

I agree with all of this, Ed has cost me a fortune! And it would be great if a good player compared all the eubs from the stagg right upto the fancy ones with all styles shown.
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. The bass whisperer gives reviews exactly like they should be done. He plays nice clean, clear lines , whilst giving a great explanation of each piece of equipment. I could watch his videos all the time. If only!

Almost the majority of bass/effect and amp demos I search for have some gimp thumb slapping!! As being prominently a plectrum player this seriously does my nut in( be them talented or not.). For someone doing a demo/review this doesn't make sense as most bassists mainly use finger/plecs? ( I'd guess)

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1421685696' post='2663950']
Slap to me is the same as wheel spinning, or pulling a handbrake turn in a car park full of loose gravel.......It grabs your attention very briefly, may look impresive for a second or two, and then you think ' what's that all about then'.
[/quote]

A second or two....as long as that ?

:)

What annoys me about Youtube reviews, is where the guy is just rambling on, and on, and on. Clearly little or no thought has been put into the thing beforehand with regard to what they're gonna say.

There was one I saw the other day that someone had posted on here, where after about 20 seconds i just switched off and came back to this site.

It doesn't have to be scripted, just not rambling.

Edited by ambient

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1421693544' post='2664064']
Chris Squire could play yours I no disgrace on a chinease squire affinity jazz bass and it would still sound great - its I the hands
[/quote]
I was thinking about buying a P. I think you've convinced me that no cheap P, with some replacement SDs is going to out-shine any of my Warwicks.

Thanks for saving me the money... Anyone want to buy some Quarter-Pounders?

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1421689267' post='2663993']

A second or two....as long as that ?

What annoys me about Youtube reviews, is where the guy is just rambling on, and on, and on. Clearly little or no thought has been put into the thing beforehand with regard to what they're gonna say.

There was one I saw the other day that someone had posted on here, where after about 20 seconds i just switched off and came back to this site.

It doesn't have to be scripted, just not rambling.

[/quote]
Our own Geoffbassist does the discover double bass lessons on youtube, they are a master class in how to do it, not too flashy or anything but nicely shot from the right place at the right time and right to point but with enough good humour left in, brilliant.

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1421683106' post='2663904']

Couldn't agree more. The bass whisperer gives reviews exactly like they should be done. He plays nice clean, clear lines , whilst giving a great explanation of each piece of equipment. I could watch his videos all the time. If only!
[/quote]
So far he's cost me Stingray Classic5, three Genz Benz heads and two Genz cabs, one large and one small. Probably planted the idea for a USA Jazz V too, lol. Love him!

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1421738016' post='2664378']
There's even videos of guys unwrapping their basses. I mean, why do we have to see that?
[/quote]
I've got an old lawn mower I bought from a crown green bowling club, I wanted to see if there was any good clips regarding how to tune the engine and adjust the blades etc.....what a weird world I had entered!

Some people just like making videos of themselves I guess. If it makes them happy and helps them to escape what could be the monotony of their humdrum life, all power to them. Youtube is a free place... one man's trash and all that...

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1421766180' post='2664710']
My observations are not about teaching videos or playing videos, just bass gear demos. All seesm utterly pointless. Too many variables for any of them to mean anything.
[/quote]

Got to agree with this. Quite apart from the acoustics of the place where the demo is being played or what amp/cab is being used, is the fact that your method of listening/watching the video clip is going to be a factor in the over all tone/sound you hear.

A pointless exercise indeed.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1421769456' post='2664772']
Some people just like making videos of themselves I guess. If it makes them happy and helps them to escape what could be the monotony of their humdrum life, all power to them. Youtube is a free place... one man's trash and all that...
[/quote]

You are the transvestite slapper and I claim my five pounds! :)

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1421769456' post='2664772']
Some people just like making videos of themselves I guess. If it makes them happy and helps them to escape what could be the monotony of their humdrum life.
[/quote]

I doubt if the above would apply to the great bassist/teacher Ed Friedland (..or maybe it does... :D[size=4] ) [/size][size=4]who also has lots of bass demos on You Tube.[/size]

[size=4]I accept your point all the same.[/size]

Someone like Ed doing a good review is poles apart from some idiot playing a tab terribly recorded with a nokia 3210 though, look how hard it is to grasp Fender models and exactly what you get extra for your cash, often the big corporate websites are full of mistakes regarding finishes, nut widths, scale length, country of origin etc etc.