Why become a member? ×

Best way to clean a speaker cone

Twincam

You need to draw the 'liquid' away from the speaker. Best way is to put the cab on its back and pour salt onto the speaker. Works for getting wine out of carpet :)

The other way is just to let it dry naturally.

Good job the jack russell didn't do a number 2 on it, otherwise your speaker would be producing a bad farting noise.

Edited by zero9

Take it appart, wash every metal part that got dirty (urine attacks metal and causes premature rust).

Regarding the cone you can gently apply a mild damp cloth just to moist the cone a bit (if it had already dried) and then fill it with raw rice and leave it over night. The rice will absorv the humidity.

If after this the smell prevails then a bit of febreze and leaving it to air should take away the smell (don't squirt too much febreze so you don't saturate the cone).

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1421278327' post='2659463']
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_Cj2TtFd_E"]Could have been worse[/url]
[/quote]

I saw that when it was originally broadcast and haven't laughed as much since.
That's what the British find really funny - animal incontinence on live TV.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1421322462' post='2659781']
I saw that when it was originally broadcast and haven't laughed as much since.
That's what the British find really funny - animal incontinence on live TV.
[/quote]

I remember it from the original as well. And I agree, you just don't get this sort of quality on TV anymore.

However, I am concerned about the dog/speaker incident as my band has a Jack Russell 'band dog' (belongs to the harp player) who on one memorable occasion stood in front of the band at an outdoor gig and barked and yelped along to our version of 'My Dog'. There's a video somewhere, I think.

The little bugger would be an ex-dog if it pissed in my Barefaced cab though.

Once upon a time, many years ago, we bought a pair of used, Gauss loaded, 18" reflex bins. As we used them over time we noticed that one sounded better than the other. Having a quick look we noticed that one of the speaker cones was wet. Very strange we thought, that's why it sounds weird. Took the speaker out and dried it in the sun and it sounded OK. Next gig it sounded strange again, checked and the speaker was wet again. We bought a hair dryer and stood it in the reflex port to dry out the speaker on every gig and by the end of the gig the speaker was wet again. We asked the good folks who had sold us the speakers if they could throw any like on this wet speaker problem and they said that it must be where their cat had taken a piss inside the cab all over the speaker.

Talking to someone about this they said that the salts in the cat's pee attracts moisture and so we would never solve the problem and we never did.

I don't know if this explanation is true but it made a lot of sense at the time, I hope that dog's pee dosn't have the same properties or it's new speaker time.

Then there's the time that my pet labrador ate the speaker in our guitarist's AC30, but I'll save that for another time.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1421237551' post='2658711']
A Jack Russell pissed through the grill onto the speaker. Speaker is a paper type. Will a damp cloth be alright im guessing piss and water isn't the best thing for paper speakers. I assume any solvent based things are also a no no.

I am not amused!.
[/quote] Made me giggle...sorry you could always sprinkle a little bit of talcum powder on the cone let it absorb so of the liquid if still wet then gently hoover the excess off drys it out and gets rid of the urine smell too